Register now to get rid of these ads!

o/t any silk screeners on here???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by glassguy, Mar 26, 2007.

1. glassguy

glassguy

sorry way off thread! im in the process of closing my autoglass, and rod and custom shop. and starting a new company. i just bought all the equipment for screen printing. and i was hoping to get a little info on this,. as i know absolutely nothing about it! i know its a strabge choice for a career change, but i think its gonna work out, because i have a lot of connections as far as customer leads go. thanks dave paras:D

2. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

Pm Marcy shes a screen printer.

3. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Oh, no! Does this mean you aren't going to be building any cool cars at all???????

4. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

what do you want to know? glass, t-shirts, bumper stickers or cutom dash panels? I have done em all.

rule #1- printing 1st surface (t-shirts, bumper stickers) light to dark. 2nd surface (readwrong) on clear materials, print dark to light.

rule # 2- different inks require different mesh, curing times and go on different substrates. most are not interchangeable.

When you say "i just bought all the equipment for screen printing."
    what do you HAVE, I can tell you what do still NEED. Subscribe to SGIA

http://www.sgia.org</pre>

5. glassguy

glassguy

wow thanks for all the responses.. what i bought is 2 presses a 6 color 4 station, and a 4 color 4 station. a vacuum seal exposure unit, a flash dryer, a conveyor belt dryer. and about 30 screens. i will be doing mostly shirts. i will still be working on rod and custom stuff a little if theres time. im keeping one small bay for myself

6. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

You'll need squeegees, varying widths for different uses. I find it helps to do a flood coat (wipe ink along the image area) then put the screen down, then "print" then lift and flash, especially with large open areas. Some people will tell you not to do that, but our commercial presses have flood bars for that reason, so that makes it the right way. ;)

You can use special transparency paper in a laser printer to make positives in a pinch. When creating art for t-shirts, depending on screen mesh and colors, trap the images (overlap the light color under the dark) by .020"-.010". You can use photoshop (3.0 to 5.0 are good versions) to do your color separations for you, or do them like me, manually in illustrator or coreldraw. Or using rubylith tape on clear vellum if you want to be ol skool.

7. glassguy

glassguy

53 sled.. thank you for all this info. i dont understand much of it yet, but hopefully i can get someone part time to help get the 1st orders going, and show me the ropes .. dave

8. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

did you get micro-registration?.... you'll be thankful if you did... you'll cuss if you didn't...

9. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

IF...and when, you get to the point of needing art and illustration for events...hot rods, kustoms, trucks, etc. I'm your guy...I've been doing T-shirt art for over 15 years...the old fashioned way : pen and ink...I specialize in five color and mix flo inks on the platen, acheiving as many as nine colors from five...

See my ad in the HAMB O'Dex...or...

PM me when you get to that point...

R

10. Go Cat Go just got his press and stuff up and running pm him as well.

11. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED

Don't forget the extra steps when doing dark t-shirts ..espically BLACK !! ... Flash Curing