Register now to get rid of these ads!

O/T Any of you guys collectors of other stuff?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bad Bob, Jul 30, 2007.

1. RacerRick

RacerRick

I collect old film equipment - 8mm, 16mm stuff.

I used to collect"
    Comics (still have several large boxes of them)
    Transformers (they might be worth some bucks now! - still got them!)
    Hockey memorabilia (2 hall of famer uncles - I have some neat shit!)
    35mm cameras (gave them to my dad - thats what he collects)
    Old Hot rod Magazines
    Old national geographics
    Old Mechano sets (I have a #2, #6, and #9 - all dark blue or black in their original wooden boxes)

2. 53burb

53burb

I started to collect art pieces from fellow HAMB'rs that are artist. Road Apple, Von Franco, Chromed Rat, Dirty Donnie. Would like to collect more from others that are on here. McPhail, Zombie, Janne......just to name of a few kool kats that are on here. KNUX!

3. Oh-I forgot some more"collectibles" I am hooked on...
    I used to collect script valve covers...but that got done and I sold them....
    I still adopt orphan cars...you know the ones so weird or ugly no self respecting hot rodder would be seen in?

I currently am sold down to two. a 57 Rambler Metropolitan and a 1956 Rambler/Hudson cross country wagon in factory yellow black and white tri color combination!-It's badged Hudson on the hood ,hubcaps and dashboard and says Rambler on the quarter panels and tailgates....thats all original too!

4. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

I used to do the hot wheels thing but sold of most of my collection to fund a car several years ago. I had several of those JCwhitney VW busses that were worth like $100.00 each, but I still collect Beer stuff mostly signs and Neons but have several hundred old beer cans aswell
    (No Breeder.... its different than saving your empties)

5. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dang, I forgot books! Thousands of them and only two subjects, Hot Rods and Australian Military history.
    Heres part of the model collection, most of them are in closets and these are the ones that are started or in current progress. I have a problem with finishing them, started about 250 odd and there all half built and back in the box!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 18, 2009
  6. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

I have many hot wheels, and several tether cars.

7. Kustomz

Kustomz

I like to collect knives especially the old advertisement knives that some businesses used to hand out.

8. wvenfield

wvenfield

Couple I sold this weekend. I stick with HO scale as they take up less room.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. fiat128

fiat128
    from El Paso TX

I collect lots of stuff. When I was in college I ran an antique store for a year or so after I graduated and almost everything in my house ranges in age from the 70s down.

The biggest collection of course is cars, mostly Italian Fiats, Alfas, 1 Lancia. American cars are starting to replace some of the Fiats (you can store about 2 Fiats in the space of a nice US cruizer).

I also collect beer cans & diecast cars. Older cans, like the one in the photo. It pays off to let people know your other hobbies. Yesterday I got an email from a can collector who wants to go digging for cans on an old ranch. He told me that the owner bought it years ago and there are a bunch of old cars that were there when he got it.

Once I get back with all those 32 Fords I'll post some pix :)

The other thing that I guess I collect is car magazines & books, I bet I have a thousand of them. Not a serious "collection" but I like reading them.

Attached Files:

10. Al Von

Al Von

I collect funeral home advertising stuff. Mostly thermometers, matchbooks and pens. I also have a small collection of fans--paper and wood ones that people "fan" themselves with during church in the summer--with funeral home adverts on them. They're still being made but I try to find old ones. The rarest are from black funeral homes. I have them displayed in lighted trophy cases that are built in the walls in my dining room. My circa 1850 house has been several businesses over the years. Soon it will be MY funeral home.

I collect Civil War books and in reading them I have found that while I was born a Yank, in my heart I'm a Southron.

I collect various old maps of places I've lived around the Cleveland, OH area with emphasis on railroad maps. One of my hobbies is tracing old RR lines, which are all over Ohio. Same with old canals.
    I save the ticket stubs when I go to see a movie and shove them in one drawer. Then years later when I clean out the drawer I get a chuckle when I remember seeing that movie with.....

I have almost every HOT ROD magazine from Sept '75-last year when I stopped subscribing. Most of the older ones are missing the covers. I should sell all of them!

11. 62_Galaxie_500

62_Galaxie_500

Vintage/antique farm tractors!

12. Notorious

Notorious

I'm surprised with all of us being tinkerers that I didn't see anyone else who collects vintage Erector sets. I have them in varying conditions and states of completeness but have a few really nice ones. A couple of the really nice ones date from the late 20s and are in their original wooden boxes. They went to metal boxes not long after that for the larger sets. Small sets were in cardboard. I've also still got about every car magazine I bought as a kid in the 60s. Also still have a good number of the model cars too. I've got quite a few old tools including some that were my grandfather's. I've got some family heirloom furniture including a mammy bench (couch sized wooden rocker) that was built by a great-great-etc. grandfather. It's about 175 years old now. Hundreds of record albums starting in the 60s. I also have a good number of nearly unplayed 78s from the early 50s. These came with a house I bought in the early 80s. They were inside of a nice 1949 Stromberg-Carlson floor radio with AM, short wave and a 78 player. It works perfectly. I bought the house from a friend who had grown up in it. After his parents had both died, neither he or his siblings wanted any of this stuff. There were a few other cool things in the house too. I also have an old floor model RCA radio - record player from the same era, it was my Grandma's. It needs some work though, unfortunately. I have a lot of little odd and end antique trinkets. If I like something and the price is right, I just buy it. I paid over $50 for an old metal bullet-nosed Stude toy friction car a while back. Actually I got two, one is a parts car! :D Oh, and I've got a lot of car parts, duh! ;) I once owned six '58 Fords at one time. That must prove some manner of mental instability, or something.....

13. Wife and I collect Midcentury modern furniture...

[​IMG]

Also cheapo Japanese guitars (Teisco / Harmony / Phantom etc), Brownie cameras, Hallcraft and Red Wing dinnerware, anything Eva Zeisel, Tim Anderson paintings, and Japanese tin battery operated toys.

14. I've had a beer can collection following me around in boxes since the late 70's. I built this garage 2 years ago and finally have a place to display them. I think I have around 800 or so

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. I have a giant can opener that was in "The incredable shrinking man". It was prop that was in the background in one of the scenes. My friends neighbor worked for the studio that made the movie. He also used to have the big phone and the pencil. His wife gave it to Universal when her husband died. When you take the tour,the tram drives by them. I've been thinking about getting it re-chromed and putting it on E-bay. It's about 40" long!

16. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

Nipples,because when I say I collect nipples, the looks I get are priceless. If anyone has any nipples they want to get rid of let me know.I'm always trying to expand my collection. I also have quite a few rubber chickens.

[​IMG]

17. i also have the junk gene acknowledged it 25 years ago...
    embrace it daily...
    i have even done some anitque appraising and estate sale setups

sorry to say my estate will all go in the dumpster as the next generation thinks it's all shit and why do i waste my money and have a cluttered life

but they also come and get stuff they need cuz they know i'll still have it and seldom do they pay the going price as they know i got it cheaper than its worth

i collect old cars , (11)
    hotrod parts
    old car mags
    40's 50's modern furniture
    gas station memoribilia pumps +signs
    unique ol signs tin and wood
    peddle cars /wagons
    ol out boards
    car models /slot cars 1000+
    car toys...some early starwars too
    castiron cookware
    no beany babys or baseball cards
    pile o stuff from MST 3k props and toys FROM THIER AUCTION
    etc ...

i love going to auctions swaps and garage sales

i have recently been putting tags with puchase prices and current book/internet values and dates..on items so someone will know when handling my collection

funny .. i start to total my collection and its worth agood amount... now if i continued to go to the bars and drink this same amount of money away... i'd be dead and for sure broke and broken

dying penniless (timing is everything)with a pile to pick thru seems like a plan i'll keep on doing

18. 72sst

72sst

I collect old clocks,cameras and radios.........oh and cars.

19. I got offered 2K for my talking PeeWee Herman. Should've sold it! The talking Freddy Krugar is very rare cause Toys-r-Us and Matchbox,got picketed by some parents groups,cause he's a petifile. So they were pulled off the shelves and sent back to Matchbox. I don't know what it's worth,but should be plenty.
    My best friends Grandma collected salt and pepper shackers. 15,000 sets! He had two that his Grandpa made from WWII shells. They were Tank rounds,about 24" tall.(just remembered that)

20. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

I collect Palmtrees, I have about 30 different species from all over the world. I used to collect electric guitars but sold them all, I wish I still had all these late 50's Les Pauls.

21. INXS

INXS

I was a marble collector until I lost them...

22. deucegasser

deucegasser

I collect fecal matter. If its not worth a damn and overpriced when I see it, I just gotta have it. Oh, and old indy postcards.

23. arkracing

arkracing

LEGO's when I was a kid - I have lots of "Town" stuff from the Early 80's-Early 90's

Ever since joining the HAMB I seem to be collecting T-shirts (Hot Rod Themed of course) I have @ least 10 that I don't ever wear.:rolleyes:

Crappy die-casts that aren't worth anything

I've tried to stop collecting anything other than Real HotRod Parts that I pay too much for:eek:

24. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

old fire fighting equipment.....

next on my list.....the actual fire truck to put it on (going for a late 40's seagraves...)

25. I collect vintage spray paint.I have just about every can and color style of Krylon,Rustoleum and Red Devil dating back to the 1950's.I also have alot of odd ball cans from smaller companys...total collection over 1500 cans.Some of these things go for over 500 bucks a can for the rare ones....
    I also have been collecting signatures and paintings from some of the most well known urban artists(graffiti)from all over the world for the last 25 years or so.Some of these artists are concidered the Picasso's of my generation,so who knows what they might be worth in the future.I also have been documenting this art scene since 1982 though photographs:)D )and the albums have taken over a large portion of my spare room...one day they will be turned into a book or donated to an Art Museum.
    As you can see,Hot Rods aren't the only things that get me into trouble:mad: ........

26. I like that BZ

27. oktr6r

oktr6r
    from Tulsa

Funny you should mention that, I get paid to inventory nipples.

28. oktr6r

oktr6r
    from Tulsa

One of the bottles in my collection is "True Tone Products" from "Mortician's Supply Company" in Dallas.

I need to try getting decent pictures of these bottles sometime.

29. 29SX276

29SX276

I'll add my two cents worth to this interesting topic.Man,there are some diverse hobbies out there!
    Me,I collect British Campaign Medals,mainly for the Soudan 1884-98.I'm also into military prints and old books and of course hotrods;all of these "diversions" keep me poor:( so researching the history of cathouses is out of the question.

30. haring

haring

I collect "Love Is" figurines.

Sure, laugh all you want, but they really speak the truth.

[​IMG]