Register now to get rid of these ads!

O/T... Any Hamber's Independent truckers?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BobbyD, Oct 21, 2011.

1. BobbyD

BobbyD
    from Belmont NC

After a 2 year battle with cancer I am finally getting better but the doctors have told me that my energy level and the neuropathy in my feet will never be the same so my days of standing on concrete in my shop are numbered as after only a few hours I can hardly stand anymore. I have been a owner-operator or shop owner all my life so I guess its time to think about trucking again. Just wondering now things are out on the road these days with the economy being what it is, can a guy stay busy and make a buck with a rig these days? My last deal was with Mercer out of Louisville Ky for 8 years pulling a dropdeck and done well but that was back in 2006....
    Thanks for any input and if the moderators think this is to far O/T then removing its OK also.....

2. dirty4

dirty4

with diesel pushing 3.50 a gallon I dont see how truckers make any money at all..Drove for 20 years now I have nice cushy desk job..yeah now more tarping loads!!

3. Truckedup

Truckedup

Well,most important is you are doing better!
    I always wondered by truckers can't make money when fuel prices go up.Don't you all raise your rates just like UPS does? As a contractor my rates reflect the rising or falling costs of doing business.

4. The carriers have a weekly fuel surcharge rate. There is lots of work up in this area due to oil and gas developement.

5. Big Dad

Big Dad

I have been in the transportation industry since 1986 , my business is in flatbed and specialized loads for about 85% of my business

I do move some dry van ..but, its not often

I can answer most any question you may have , if I don't know the answer I know who to ask to find out .

CSA2010 changed the game and will continue to going forward

If you have a CLEAN, CLEAN driving record and have records to bsack that up finding a job driving a company truck will be very easy

Buying a truck , unless you have a large amount for a down will not happen regardless of credit

Pm me for any questions you may have

Daryl

6. Big Dad

Big Dad

PS

I forgot to say, I'm glad your health is improving .

Best wishes

7. Good for the improving health. Things are decent in the biz, got a lot better leased to Landstar. Been seeing a lot of Mercer again. I run a stepdeck. PM me if you're feelin it.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2011
  8. ahawes

ahawes

Things aren't at their greatest but they're not as bad as they were in '09 or so either. There is some money to be made but being an owner-op is tough right now. Of course being in CA doesn't help matters there any...

9. BobbyD

BobbyD
    from Belmont NC

Thanks for all the replies and well wishes, its been a tough couple years for sure. Things are looking up if I can get back to work. Pretty much closed the shop after being diagnosed with the big C and my savings are about shot, just thought the road might be a little easier on me again rather that busting my ass crawling in out and under cars all day.
    I bought my first rig in '75 at the tender age of 21, things were alot different back then! Just wondering how things were since getting out of it in '06. I always enjoyed the life that comes with the road, again thanks everyone...........

10. maniac

maniac

They keep heaping regulations on us, one after the other, I'm doing well, but I'm in a VERY specialized field, we have work for the next 5 years and not in the gas well industry, PM will get you more info.

I'm glad your health is doing better. Another thing is with being out of the industry for so long it will be hard to find something, they seem to think you forget how to drive for some reason