Register now to get rid of these ads!

O/T - 220V in the workshop - Who Has???????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tall Paul, Jul 14, 2004.

1. a bit off topic, but ...

Just curious, I am in the process of moving my crap from australia to philly and just wondering if it is worth bringing any of my 240V power tools with me??

Who uses 220V in the workshop?? What tools are most commonly run off it in the states??

I don't really have to bring the tools with me, its easy enough just to go to sears and get new drill/angle grinders and stuff i guess???

anyway, just curious....
    Paul

2. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

mots of my heavy stuff is 220v like welder plasma cutter air compressor lathe mill and so on but the little stuff is all 110v

3. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Yes, bring them. No other way to hook up a good commercial welder. Never have enough Power. [​IMG]

4. I don't know if ausie 240 is compatable with 220 but it is not a major ordeal to get 220 out of the existing breaker box in any house hold.

110 + 110 = 220

An electrician can set up or you can do it yourself with a few parts from home depot.

5. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

I did it the other way, US to UK.

All my major tools are 220/240V (welder, compressor, etc) - if Australia is like the UK & uses 50hz, your motors will turn faster, but probably run cooler - should be no problems.

A lot of home garages in the US don't have a 220V outlet, but you can easily tap into the clothes dryer or range circuits if you're not running anything huge. I've never popped a dryer breaker running a 5HP compressor or my MIG welder...

It should be noted that 3-phase power isn't normally available in residential areas, but I doubt that will be a problem unless you're brining in something industrial like a bridgeport mill [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. yeah i might have to leave the mill ernie, probly won't fit in thesuitcase anyway [​IMG] Yeah Aus stuff is 50 hz 240v and just drills and angle grinders and other smallish power tools for the workshop...probably be a waste bringing em, since I will only be able to use them in the workshop and no where else in the house...hang on, this way I can just stay in the workshop...what a great idea!!! man, sometimes I out do myself [​IMG]

7. A lot of US homes have a 220 circuit to run stoves and clothes driers. I tapped into a stove circuit to get 220 for my MIG. Chances are you might have a 220 circuit just waiting for you. Good luck with your move.

8. unpunk01

unpunk01

My lift is 240v...

9. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Paul,

You can bring 'em & run them on a step-up transformer. I've got a 2500 watt step-down transformer for my garage. The bench I built has a few 110 outlets on it, so I plug the bench into my transformer & the transformer into the mains - I get 110V at the bench to run my drill, hand saw, angle grinders, etc.

The same exact transformer will work the other way around - it doesn't really care which is input & which is output - although I think the power rating will change (for the worse in your case) and it's not 1/2 like you would think (although that's a good ballpark).

The step up/down transformers are readily available here for works sites - most of the industrial power tools are 110V due to shock hazard and the transformers act as isolation units. I don't know if Aussie works sites do the same or not - something to look into? If they've got any load rating to them, they're heavy as hell - 20kg or so (guess).

Good luck!

[​IMG]

10. hotrodsnguns

hotrodsnguns
    from Fresno, CA

I have two 220 circuits in my shop. One is dedicated to the compressor (most of my small tool are pneumatic) The other one has several outlets to ease the movement of the welders. My cut off saw and drill press all run on 220 as I was once told it ran cooler and cheaper

11. colorado51

colorado51

I already had 220 for my dryer, but I had plenty of room in my breaker box, so I ran a new 220 circuit for the garage only.

12. Spitfire1776

Spitfire1776
    from York, PA

Bring em, You can always take out a few 110 breakers and put in some 220 breakers, then no prob. I f nothing else you could sell em over here.

Welcome to the Philly area.....:)