Register now to get rid of these ads!

NZ Trip....Scrounger Mike ( awesome fab' pics)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kiwi Kev, May 11, 2008.

1. Here are some more pics from my recent trip to New Zealand. Mike Roberts is one of the 7 members of the Scoungers car club and lives in a town called Papakura, a suburb about 20 minutes south of Auckland city. Mike is a fabricator as good as anyone in the world and that's no exaggeration. Mike is as nice a guy as you could ever hope to meet and is always happy to help people and show them how things are done. He built a very cool 31 sedan for his wonderful wife Dyan and she has logged thousands of miles in it including many in terrible weather and some dragstrip milage too! They live in a complex of workshops that have living quarters. Their neighbor on one side is a hot rodder and a drag racer lives on the other side. Anyway I thought you guys would enjoy these pics........

That's Mike on the right, he has just shown me how he sectioned that Mustang door down the middle and there is no sign of a weld.

[​IMG]

Here is Mike in his shop, The Buick is his current personal project. Check out how low it is compared to his 59 Chevy. The only original parts are the fenders and hood, both heavily modified. The rest of the car is being hand built by Mike.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Floor detail....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

I think we should all remember the name, "Mike Roberts", this guy rocks.

3. Here is a scaled down Cobra body he made for aluminum.......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Mike doesn't just build things from aluminum. Check out this rear end housing for a front engine dragster that will run a blown flathead on nitro. It takes a Strange Engineering 9" third member with Chevy 12 bolt ring and pinion. It is designed to give the driver maximum room.

[​IMG]

Here is the pattern.....
    [​IMG]

5. Cshabang

Cshabang

wow man....MORE!!!!!! I got work to do...I just got another hero in the fab game....

6. Dyan's sedan runs a 348 Chevy and Mike is getting ready to put a 4.71 blower on it. Here is the blower manifold he is building......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And for the top of the blower he has made a wooden pattern and cast his own 2 carb top plate.....
    [​IMG]

7. Here are a few shots of Dyan's sedan. Awesome details and build quality.......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nice tunnel!..........
    [​IMG]

Nice firewall....

[​IMG]

Nice scoop.....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. squigy

squigy
    from SO.FLO.

9. Cshabang

Cshabang

Wow!!!

pretty much the only thing that came to mind haha

10. Mike works for Terry's Chassis shop. There they build drag cars and street machines. Here are a few pics from the shop........

[​IMG]

This Mustang is a state of the art custom. It has been wedge sectioned and chopped.

[​IMG]

Interesting bead roller is hydraulic powered....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Before the sedan was built Mike ran the 348 in this T bucket.

[​IMG]

When some friends decided to have a slot car drag race Mike whipped up this dragster.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is his speedway bike project...just for fun.

[​IMG]

12. How would you like to come home and find your neighbor firing up his dragster, I know I would!

[​IMG]

13. Cshabang

Cshabang

thanks Kev...There is some insame talent out there..I can only hope to be somewhat at that level...but damn am I gonna try...

14. LabRat

LabRat

[​IMG]

This is one of my favourite cars ! and thanks for the further insight of your travels and friends Kev ....

15. That dude has some skills...

16. hemi coupe

hemi coupe
    from so-cal

Mike is a bad ass. It was a pleasure to meet him, when he stopped by my shop a few months ago!!
    Jimmy White

17. That metal working is just insane. Please tell me you have more photos from his shop.

18. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Amazing craftsmanship! The lines of that Buick remind me of Cadzilla.

[​IMG]

19. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

Thanks for the pics !!!.......Awsome stuff........Littleman

20. Great pix !!

Thx for sharing

Rat

21. Words cannot describe Mike but I will try.
    Brilliant personality and his craftsmanship leaves you speechless

22. Mooseman

Mooseman

wow I am going to have to meet this guy oneday!

23. tfeverfred....Yes, Mike's Buick was influenced by Cadzilla.

Hot Rod Ron.... Wish I had more pics of Mikes work. Imagine what he's produced over the last..say...5 years. We'll get to see plenty in the future!

24. bardahl1

bardahl1

I believe that Mike is planning on being in the states Aug/Sept. He plans on being at Bonneville, Primer Nats, maybe the reunion, etc.

Great person (Dyan too!), unbelievable talent, very unpretentious and friendly. If you do see him out and about speak loudly as he has poor hearing.

25. shoprat

shoprat
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange, CA

Nice too see that kind of talent and quality of work being done. I guess
    the fire dept over there doesn't bother them for living in their shops like here.

26. pan-dragger

pan-dragger

27. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

Plenty of us live in shops here too.:D

28. 55olds88

55olds88

Cool Pics Kev, Mike is a true craftsman, needs to get back to work on the Buick I guess with winter here there will be more progress, he went from nothing to pretty much where he is now in a pretty short time (between my visits) I was blown away with the speed and skill.
    Did you visit Mike the neighbours place ? now that guy knows how to live in a workshop.....

29. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

I am bowing down at this moment.