Register now to get rid of these ads!

nybody Have Problems with Autozone Master Cylinders?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mlagusis, Mar 10, 2011.

1. mlagusis

mlagusis

Going to replace the master cylinder and clutch slave on my 62 chevy C10 with a new unit from Autozone. Has anyone had bad luck with any brake parts from Autozone?

2. Belchfire8

Belchfire8

Yup. I got a bad one, a pro mechanic I know says they see bad ones a lot from all the blisterpack stores, he tries to get them from NAPA.

3. clifforddean

clifforddean

Yeah I had a problem with a master cylinder that I bought from Autozone. It was for my 67' C10. I installed it at work I did'nt notice a problem when I was bench bleeding but when I was driving home the piston wasn't returning and was dragging. I only drove about 4 miles but by the time I got home smoke was pouring out of the front wheels. I took it all apart and went to the closest A.Z. which was in Detroit told the guy what happened and obviously they replaced the M/C but when I started on about my front brakes are probably toast he gave a set of front pads, 2 cans of brake clean and a roll of blue towels. I put the new stuff on and no problems.

4. 48 Chubby

48 Chubby
    Member Emeritus

Have had and seen no problems with their NEW ones, but the rebuilts-about half (maybe more) are no good.

5. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Yeah it's hit or miss..

6. I put a rebuilt from the Zone in my 67 Pontiac. No problems. They were the only place in town that had one on a Sunday afternoon. It was strange though, 67 full size Pontiac with 4 wheel drum manual brakes. What are the chances of that?

7. The parts that do fit do not last very long. Better to pay a few extra dollars up front for higher quality parts.

8. bryan6902

bryan6902

AGREE!! Buy new whenever available, at least when it comes to master cylinders. How many times do you think a master from the mid 60s has been rebuilt by now?

9. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I bought a brand new master from Summit Racing for not much more than a rebuilt.

10. maniac

maniac

Sometimes the higher quality part is cheaper.

I has a sensor go in my O/T daily, $17 at the zone, $11 at NAPA:eek:

11. flatout51

flatout51

I used to work and O'reillys auto parts. The remans are crap. The NEW ones are nice as any other places.

12. gasserjohn

gasserjohn

last year i checked on autozone master cly.........
    they are re built by a large company in canada
    the rebuilts are sleeved.........

13. i have went through the master on a 65 c-10 from riebes basically napa so far the last about three months..

14. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

Man, I just bought a rebuilt from AZ :eek:

15. mlagusis

mlagusis

I would be putting a new one in, not the rebuilt. Going to check Napa to. From what I have known and heard, Napa parts are the best.

Thanks for the help, any wheel cylinder problems.

16. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

It will be hit or miss new or rebuilt,Raybestos has been outsourcing for several years and some of it is crap,a new slave cylinder I bought for a Ford Ranger would not bleed and they made me eat the warranty so screw them! Go online and look for AC Delco or Bendix products as for NAPA they will depend on who they have a contract with to do the rebuilds the fleet trucks where I worked at had their share of problems,Napa changed sources and things got better,just remember big companies make profits on " buy low sell high" quality kinda sits on the shelf these days. As a side note I did a '65 C-10 and a '54 Ford with all Autozone parts and no problems,I have supplied a lot of guys in my social group with Autozone part numbers to convert to dual masters on 50's Fords no problems with any thing yet,good luck!

17. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Also a hats off to the folks at Autozone as they offer a 10% discount to us Vets to thank us for our service,O'Reilly's also offers the discount.

18. mlagusis

mlagusis

Thanks for your service to our country. I like hearing about placing honoring those who lay their life down for our freedom and safety.

19. windjammer

windjammer
    from Illinois

I went through three before I got a good one from Autozone, but they were replaced no charge. Thay also gave me brake fluid free. This was for a 41 pick up, not my daily driver, so I had time. They were rebuilds. Price was $19.00.

20. harrington

harrington
    from Indiana

Yep, have gotten a few bad rebuilds from there, one project I got two back to back. Got pissed off and went to O'rilleys and just bought a new one. I have also had problems with rebuilt starters from Autozone, pur them in and they work for about 10 starts then no good.

21. mlagusis

mlagusis

Sounds like there has been bad luck with the rebuilt and good with the new ones.

22. Brakes

1st choice- Napa
    2nd choice- O'Reillys

Here are the scenarios under which I would use a master cylinder from Autozone-

1. A gun to my head- if someone put a gun to my head to fix their brakes, I'd use autozone parts.

2. If I needed a doorstop and had no rocks closeby.

3. An eclectic form of yard art that called for such peices.

4. this last -

It's Sunday, and...........................nah. I once drove 100 miles of country roads without brakes, I'd go to O'riellys or wait until Monday.

23. It is about the bull$#!+ junk autozone is willing to pump into the world.

When YOU learn, someone else who doesn't know better, will take your place.
    I fell for them too, but now for hardcore parts, I go to Napa, Oriellys.

24. 36fred

36fred

Hey I don't think it is just auto zone, I have gotten two bad ones from different rod suppiers. The problem is from the time you buy until the time your done with the build is along time and they don't want to replace them. I think the whole thing is the commie china products.

25. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

rule of thumb,,, if it has more than 4 parts, or more than one moving part, dont buy it at autozone.

Batteries, alt, and starters are much better bought from anywhere else.

26. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

I got a new Wagner/Federal-Mogul MC ('73-'76 Torino) two years ago for about $50.00 that seems to be fine.

27. iamflashman

iamflashman

I have had good luck with AZ ones but just the new ones. Every once in a while I get a bum one but you can tell when bench bleeding so I have never had any danger because of them.

I agree, NAPA usually has good stuff when it comes to brake/clutch parts.

28. moonman29

moonman29

Yes, do your self the favor and go to NAPA or try to get a new one. I worked for 7 years at one of those parts places and so MANY come back bad. I would pay more for a better quality and avoid the headaches of brake fluid dripping inside the cab or down the fire wall.