Register now to get rid of these ads!

NW/VR in the Southwest

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by 300racr, Sep 18, 2014.

1. Well since I'm gathering parts I figured I'd start a build thread.First I would like to thank Mike & Mark at Stone Broke Hot Rods for taking on this project. I'll be using Walts' Northwest rules as a guideline for the build. Rail will be powered by a mild 300" Ford six and a C-4 tranny.
    [​IMG]

2. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Should be really light, just welding the parts together with no frame. :eek:
    Sorry, I couldn't resist it. :D

Nice looking starter pile though, mine was decidedly rustier at first.

Let me know when you're ready to post in the pictures thread.
    And welcome to the insanity. :cool:

3. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

You might want to re-think the aerodynamics of the box.o_O Looking forward to watching your progress.

4. bobw

bobw

Hey 300 racer, see all the primo advice you have received already? We're a helpful group.
    It will be lots'o'fun to follow your build this winter. Take pics.

5. RacerRoy3

RacerRoy3
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey 300racr, you have great group behind you. I'm sure that Old6rodder, 64 Dodge 440, and bobw can give you first hand advice about all of the mistakes that you don't want to make. And I mean that in a good way (with only a slight amount of sarcasm).

6. Thanks guys, lookin forward to becoming a member of the esteemed group here.All advice is welcomed sarcasm too LOL. I have enjoyed reading some of the other build threads and have gotten ideas from them. I'll keep ya all posted.

7. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Some of our mistakes have been so much fun we can't wait to make them again. :rolleyes:

8. RacerRoy3

RacerRoy3
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All of the good mistakes are worth repeating. I guess that is why I still mess with old cars and have been married three times? Don't tell the Mrs. that I listed her as one of my mistakes! I keep telling her that the third time is the charm. Rod on, rod on, rod on.

9. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Gone through a lot of cars over the years, but still have the same wife. It will be 48 years in January so we must have figured out how to make it work. ;)

10. Dodge, next week will be 21 years for me and wife #2. A few years ago I sold my O/T truck that I thought I would have for ever, actually had it for 25 years.

11. Crosley

Crosley
    from Aridzona

So, do we have frame rails laid down yet?

We have been married 41 yrs

12. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Yeah, what he asked. You going to use actual rails or go with a scratch build?

And ...... 12 years on the first one (should've let it go at 7, but I don't give up easily). Just hit 29 years on the second (thinking I may keep'er). :D

13. Using frame rails, thats if they haven't been used for a bridge or small ferry for moracing to cross the wash by his house. Also wondering if parts are still out in Buckeye or have found there way via water to the Gulf of Mexico LOL. Old6 my 1st time around lasted 5 years, and 5 years to many !

14. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Real rails ...... Yesssssss! :cool:

15. Old6 sorry to burst your bubble but they'll be scratch built.Minor brain lapse...forgot we were talkin real world vs most of the drag cars I deal with on the weekends.

16. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Ah well, I have a plentiful supply of bubbles, and can stand the loss of yet another one. :D

17. Crosley

Crosley
    from Aridzona

If the parts were tried down to the Ford 300 inline block, they did not get washed away far anchored down by the block. :eek:

We are on the first marriage. It may work out, I think

18. Crosley

Crosley
    from Aridzona

300racr:

So... where is the update on your car?

19. Crowley,I have a couple of pics I need to upload and should have an update this weekend.

20. Third DodgeBrother

Third DodgeBrother

Am I the only one who noticed how w i d e that seat is? Or the only one crude enough to mntion it?

RoadRunner5 likes this.
  21. Old28

Old28

Looks about the same as my funny car seat in my SDRA dragster, we big boys love them.:cool:

Those seats are made for a driver with an SFI-20 suit on and for any one that has not the pleasure of driving in one, it is like having a sleeping bag rapped around you.:eek::rolleyes:;)

RoadRunner5 likes this.
  22. It's a 18" Kirkey, I'm not exactly a small guy LOL.

23. Here's a few more;
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24. Old28

Old28

looks like a real nice cage start. How wide is that shoulder rail inside? Is the chassis more or less the same as Mark & Mike dragsters? NW rules, are you going to run the 7" pie crust slicks? Your going to enjoy this ride!!!!!! :):eek::cool:

25. Old28, I think the bars are 28-30" wide.I have a wide shoulder width.I went over to Marks to try sitting in his car I got in but my shoulders were rubbing the sides of the cage and they literally had to pull me out LOL. Yes mine will be similar to their chassis.Gotta start out on radials till I can afford to get some pie crusts.Headed over in the morning and will try to get some more pics.

26. Crosley

Crosley
    from Aridzona

step back with the camera.. lets see the chassis tubes as they are installed. Gonna bring the roller to november 22 race ?

27. Old28

Old28

300racr -- Ya I have 24" in mine and it would be way better if it was 28-30" wide. You may want to look at installing a drop floor (foot well) about 5-6" below the normal floor area, it makes it a lot easier to get out. I am going to change mine this winter. Another thing that helps is having the front loop at a little less angle. Use big guys need a little more chassis design than normal. Give a shout to Mark & Mike from me.

28. Went out to visit the guys this morning and took some more pics.
    Old28 with the dropped floor and a lil' longer cockpit than Marks car, it is very comfortable and I sit almost straight legged in the car.The main hoop around my shoulders is 28".