Register now to get rid of these ads!

Nuts#$@

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Michael Pukash, Apr 9, 2007.

1. Michael Pukash

Michael Pukash

I really need a source for 3/4 by 11 thread nuts for my sons 51 chevy. Any help would be great.

2. 64Newport

64Newport
    from Tucson, Az

Ace Hardware. If not, there's a place by me here in Az called Copper State Bolt and Nut, and they have EVERYTHING if they don't stock it, it doesn't exist. If you end up not being able to find it, I can pick em up for ya' if you pay all the shipping and stuff. I work next door so it's no big deal.

3. 31whitey

31whitey

gardner westcot

4. haring

haring

Finding hardware is getting more and more difficult. It bugs me.

Try to find a good (old) auto parts store that is still willing to look in a BOOK to order what you need.

Or try a hardware store that still actually stocks hardware. If I'm forced to go to a big box retailer, our Lowes has good stock.

online...

McMaster-Carr:
    mmm.mcmaster.com

5. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sure it's 3/4-11 ?? Standard coarse thread is 3/4-10, not "11", and they're available all over. I've got some used 3/4-10, if you can use 'em.

6. Redneck Smooth

Redneck Smooth
    from Cincinnati

I thought they were 10s as well. If so, Fastenal has lots of locations and tons of hardware in the 3/4-10 size...

www.fastenal.com

7. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Back again.

I Looked in my 1949 Chevy Parts Manuial and the only 3/4" hex nuts they list are S.A.E. 3/4-16 - no '10' or '11' TPI listed.

What assembly is the nut used for? Let me know and I'll look it up for you.

8. caffeine

caffeine
    from Central NJ

mcmaster.com

9. Michael Pukash

Michael Pukash

Thanks everyone, they are indeed 3/4 with an 11 tread. They are for the upper and lower A arms on a 51 chevy coupe. I have tried a 10 (coarse tread) and it's messing up the bolt that I'm installing. We are putting in a new frontend kit from Kanter or PST I can't remember which. It calls for using 2 jam nuts on these bolts ti install them.

10. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Maybe it's metric ???? 19mm is .74803".

How come you just don't contact Kanters or PST if a part of the kit is missing - or is it a time factor?

11. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Either you're measuring something incorrectly or the nut you are trying to find is a proprietary thread size, to force you to obtain one from the original manufacturer. Maybe it's a Whitworth thread?? (I'm grasping at straws here).

Here's a link to a chart of standard U.S. & Metric bolt dimensions........ and you can see, there's no standard bolts near 3/4" diameter with 11 threads per inch.

http://euler9.tripod.com/bolt-database/23.html

12. s.r.i.

s.r.i.
    from Hell

Maybe the bolts were hammered on to remove and thats why a 10 wont fit?

13. Michael Pukash

Michael Pukash

Well I measured the threads on the new replace bolts as well as the old messed up bolts with a guage and they are 11's. As soon as I hook up with the boy again I'll find out what manufacture we are working with. I've got a press, might try that tonight. Again thanks to all!