Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Nuts and bolts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fegsta, May 20, 2021.

1. fegsta

fegsta

Can new nuts and bolts be had for Buick 322 and 401 engines. I’ve seen the ss engine bolt kits on e b-y but I’m after the main engine bolts ie main bolts, con rod, head studs,ect any help advise is welcome. Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2. lowrd

lowrd

Try ARP fasteners online.

fegsta likes this.
  3. squirrel

squirrel

Why do you want to replace them? They never go bad....

4. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

I would agree, I like oem bolts any day before hardware store bolts. That must be why I have coffee cans full of old hardware.

dana barlow, fegsta and thintin like this.

5. yellow dog

yellow dog
    from san diego

Automotive OEM fasteners are originally spec'd comfortably away from the yield strength. If
    incorrect torques (elongation) either low or high over the life of the fastener; fatigue is suspect.
    Outside of historic improper assembly issues, automotive fasteners will be subjected to continual elogation cycles of heating and vibration......rod and crank fasteners for sure. Not knowing the history
    of a fastener might lead to suspicion of something of low cost compared to the overall cost of building
    an engine. A pretty good source below re proof loading, fatigue, etc.

https://pdhonline.com/courses/s247/s247content.pdf

dana barlow and fegsta like this.
  6. jaracer

jaracer

I'm pretty sure ARP has what you need. Another source is Centerville Auto Repair. The specialize in nailhead Buicks. However, like Squirrel said, most of the fasteners just don't go bad.

fegsta likes this.
  7. jaracer

jaracer

I just looked at Centerville Auto's Tech section on their web page. They discuss the engine nuts and bolts. They reuse cylinder head and main bolts. They do replace rod bolts with ARP bolts to be safe. I only replaced 1 or 2 head bolts on my nailhead. They went through the generator bracket and were longer than the rest of the head bolts. Since I wasn't using the bracket I got 2 shorter bolts from Centerville.

fegsta likes this.
  8. fegsta

fegsta

Thanks for all your replies, sorry its took me a while to respond. My youngest son has just had a pace maker fitted, it's brand new technology. He was 32 yesterday 22-05-21 he's is back in hospital for more check ups but he has said he feels so much better already. OK so I got engine and I no there are some things missing. I've found a crank that will need welding and taking back to spec. Other than that I suppose I was thinking ahead until I get the block on a stand and put the bolts in that came with it ill no what I have, it could be OK and all there but if I was seeing if the hardware was available. Many thanks tim

Sent from my KOB-L09 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  9. fegsta

fegsta

If I’m totally honest I’d forgot about this with what was going on many thanks

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

warhorseracing likes this.