Register now to get rid of these ads!

Numbers on race cars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kirsten, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Kirsten

Kirsten

I have seen it before and not taken much notice but last weekend at Bonneville, every car had a cryptic number on it in some kind of letter/number/fraction combination. What do the letters and numbers mean? Why does it look like a fraction and how do they get assigned to the cars their on?

2. KrisKustomPaint

KrisKustomPaint

the numbers are registered with BNI and you have to have a different number for additional class if you are going to run the same car in a different class. Here was are number for last season 234 XF/VFALT - the first set of letters is engine designation XF being flathead ford the second set is for class designation V= vintage class, F=fuel(methonal or nitro or anything else thats not gas) and ALT= altered coupe
    We ran 1234 XF/BFALT same car with a blown motor.

Engine classes
    AA 501 cid and over
    A 440 -500
    B 373 - 439
    C 306 - 372
    and on and on down the line
    XF is Flathead Ford up to 307 (I think)
    XXF is Flathead with modified heads (overhead valve conversion)
    XO is Inline engines Flat or OHV as well as non ford Flathead V8's like Cadillac
    XXO is same as XO with modified head
    V4 is Vintage 4 banger
    V4F vintage Flathead 4 banger

Too many body classes to list

3. SOCAL PETE

SOCAL PETE
    from Ramona CA

Kris
    Would you divulge the source of the class info and numbers.
    My 37 had some faded number on the cab and the side of the bed. I am thinking it did a little time at El Mirage.

4. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

XF and XO are up to 325 cubic inches. XX would be upo to 325 with Ardun OHV or other conversion head in flathead class or 326 to 375 cubic inches. Very big flathead. In XXO it's the same thing if you started with a flatheaded block (Chrysler six, Hudson) or have an OHV block with an aftermarket head. (Wayne Chevy, Howard GMC, or something wierd)

5. Kirsten

Kirsten

Awesome information guys, thanks!

6. SOCAL PETE

SOCAL PETE
    from Ramona CA

7. Even if you not ever plan on racing any gearhead will get a kick out of reading the SCTA rulebook.