Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Numbers on doors and...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chili Phil, Jul 30, 2018.

1. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

I painted the number 2 on the radiator of my project A V/8 and got rash on that. My car ,and if it please me that all I have to do. When it's fully assembled I may not like it, so it will come off. But till then it stays.

zzford, deadbeat, 31hotrodguy and 2 others like this.
  2. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

I've done them that were entirely wrong. One customer wanted super worn out patina letters on a car with fresh paint. I finally convinced him to do almost fresh looking letters. But try as I might I couldn't get him to put the right classification type letters on it. Was an A coupe with banger and no fenders. Put some silly Bonneville classing letters on it. He was happy. new owner of the car is happy. Anyone who knows Bonneville can giggle when they see it

05snopro440, deadbeat and Stogy like this.
  3. WOW, I have not seen this much passion since the all night horror features at the drive-in. I'm betting some of you guys were the ones walking around with flashlights..........makes as much sense as the military reference.;)

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
  4. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It really shouldn't matter its art...the whole thing is art.

If he was actually going to truly race it things would have to change...perhaps those were his favourite letters.

I don't have much knowledge of these designations and don't have any on the Ole Inspired Hotrod either and never will. It has stickers/decals here and there...no doubt that's offensive to some too...Hopefully the pinstriping passes the bill...

I have peeves just like everyone else but I keep my opinions generally private as in the real world this vintage Hotrod/Custom/Race Reality/Fantasy we live in has many colors and freedom to do as one pleases. Here there are some limitations rightfully so. Art on vehicles is also limited but largely an open canvas.

5. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So many panties, so many wads.

It's art.

If art offends you, you need to get a real life.

BradinNC, R A Wrench, zzford and 10 others like this.
  6. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The word of the day: Specious.

Used in a sentence: Comparing Stolen Valor, to painting a street car, to look like a race car, is a specious argument.

05snopro440, zzford, Thor1 and 7 others like this.
  7. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

willys36: You have a really nice car and I like everything about it. What I don't understand is, you don't have numbers on your door. So how did you get so involved in this discussion img103.JPG ?

Special Ed likes this.
  8. primed34

primed34

I think the fake patina and numbers on the doors has been done so much that's become a little tacky but it's your ride. The wrong class and the fake 10 spokes on gassers style cars bothers me. Gas class on a fenderless car is just wrong.

Gary Reynolds and loudbang like this.
  9. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I have to say the subject opinions are many on this one and the train tracks have many turns.

Stogy and wraymen like this.
  10. A man's bone is his hassle...

clunker and gimpyshotrods like this.
  11. Irvan

Irvan

If trying to figure this out is the worst thing that happens to us today it's a good day.

12. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

or hers....;)

13. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

I love the late AA grille shell. It's an underappreciated part.

05snopro440 likes this.
  14. I’ve got a build going that’s kind of a double poser, it’s imitating the guys who imitated drag cars. I grew up seeing cars in this style, I realized later that they were imitating drag cars. So my inspirations were posers!! Sorry no numbers or class designations tho

Roothawg and Hnstray like this.
  15. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

I had a pretty hard laugh at the comparison of stolen valor to lettering cars and combat veterans to hobbyist. I always enjoy a good build thread but I do enjoy a good laugh sometimes too!

Sent from my SM-G550T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

zzford and gimpyshotrods like this.
  16. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

Fake race car numbers go well with fake patina

17. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

See I actually agree here but it is some of the opinions and comparisons that I found interesting.

18. No door numbers but I do commit the sin of plastering A/GS on it and it doesn't have a blower. Never did have one. Poster child of a poser that the guys hate. And it is built to look as much like a classic gasser as humanly possible which is another unpardonable sin. If the car never competed in the cam-wars of the 60s, it has no right to look like it did.

In fact, these real gassers in the day would probably not pass muster with the race car police.

NO numbers
    33-Willys-A-GS-Bfield.jpg

Running gas class with no hood. Should be Altered class?
    Billy Holt.JPG

Ugly top chop
    Challenger.jpg

Spindle mounts
    Finders Casper Watson.jpg Garten_Braskett_2.jpg

Steel wheels
    George Gilmore 1956.jpg

spindle mounts. Lots of sinners in this classification!! Merkle lime.jpeg
    Muzi Kart.jpg

More steel wheels
    Pittman Edwards 1.jpg

Funny car type body AND spindle mounts. Double sinner.
    Prock-Howell-595x397.jpg

Altered running as a gasser?
    Vintage ugly sedan.jpg

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
  19. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

True, but you actually drive it so that has to win some points back in your favor. Not mention pictures from the old days of you actually building your car. Between the 2 that might tip the scales a bit in your favor. IMHO

willys36 likes this.
  20. I am just posting because I like getting a post in just before a thread gets shut down. I like doors with numbers or without, or maybe some cheese or yogurt on it, maybe a doughnut.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

zzford, wraymen, 31hotrodguy and 2 others like this.

21. Well, I always like being tipped!!
    happy 4.jpg

31hotrodguy likes this.
  22. Well, how the hell have you been? Glad to see you back.

clunker likes this.
  23. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Doesn't the 'A' part of A/G mean "Altered Gasser" ??? :D

Ray

24. jimdillon

jimdillon

Willy 36 I for one really like the look of your car. I am a fan of lettered tribute cars when you get the look correct which I believe you have done. I made a reference to spindle mounts and as I mentioned I have a car with spindle mounts that was built for gas in the 60s but my reference was to the 10 and 12 spoke newer wheels that I believe may look better suited on an altered-just my opinion. As Don pointed out there were some examples that ran gas.

There is a good deal of passion when it comes to the gasser look and I tire of the gasser police at times myself and I foolishly posted on a thread that has gone downhill in certain respects-I should have known better. You have nothing to apologize for IMO as you built a beautiful car that recreates what I believe is possibly one of the greatest eras in straightline acceleration history. Kudos is more in order than ridicule IMO.

Stogy likes this.
  25. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

image.jpeg Number on door & grille. Hard to tell with photo but there are black strips over the red plate and white number.

wraymen, Hnstray, Stogy and 1 other person like this.
  26. [​IMG][​IMG]

Oh, you know, they let us out every once in awhile....

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

27. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

28. deadbeat

deadbeat

I was having a beer with Squeek Bell 20 plus years ago and he asked me why I had swapped out disc brakes and went to a local manufactured cars drum brakes. I told him I didn't like skinny brakes. I put my car together using local sourced parts and not what I could from the U.S. I saw cars made from local parts when I was a kid in Sydney. He liked my way of thinking and said "its all about having fun with old cars".
    I don't like what some do with all these numbers and fake patina and I don't say nothing, but hey, if it spins your crank, then that's ok with me cause its all about having fun with old cars. But if you are going to do it, do what has been mentioned and do some research.
    Cheers

29. VonKool13

VonKool13

For me, I'm not going to waste my time questioning what someone does, nor telling them how to do it. At least it's old cars and trucks.

30. Thanx Jim. I happen to agree with you on the 10/12-spokes. REAL gassers should have the Halibrand small hole dish fronts like on my car and 4 small hole rear Halibrands. But I also appreciate cars built by guys who don't agree with me. In fact I did the majority of the fabrication on the pickup below and I couldn't talk my friend to go with 'real' gasser wheels. He was dead set on the 10 spokers. Still a gorgeous car and if he had put lettering on the door, wouldn't have changed my admiration for the car. Get frightened by guys who advocate alienation and ridicule for non-compliers. Kudos are in order for ANYONE who finishes the arduous task of building a specialty car.

P5220010.JPG

05snopro440, scotty t and 31hotrodguy like this.