Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Numbers matching

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by billfunk29, Dec 7, 2023.

1. billfunk29

billfunk29
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Adriatic Machine likes this.
  2. BJR

BJR

Then why did you post them?

303racer, brokenspoke and 19Eddy30 like this.
  3. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Oh come on now guys... They are just stamps. Live a little..

vtx1800, HotRod33, alanp561 and 5 others like this.
  4. Joe Blow

Joe Blow
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Deception is never a good look is it? Hot rodders could give a shit less about numbers anyways....but there are a lot of disreputable parts sellers hawking to the original crowd that I would think would have interest.:rolleyes:

CSPIDY, SS327 and Budget36 like this.

5. and I thought this would be a Corvette post...

6. '29 Gizmo

'29 Gizmo
    from UK

Surprised there is a big enough market.
    As far as authenticity is concerned, you can't garantee what you have got unless you have owned it from new. Its all just metal.

VANDENPLAS, BamaMav, Budget36 and 2 others like this.
  7. BJR

BJR

The only purpose they serve is to make a frame or engine that is not correct seem like it is correct. Another tool for dishonest people. And against the law in most states. I'm surprised at your comment Ryan.

rumblegutz, SS327, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  8. Dad is in the M1 Garrand club, gripes about this sort of thing in that realm.

warbird1, SS327 and loudbang like this.
  9. JohnLewis

JohnLewis

I'd stamp my name on it.

CSPIDY, VANDENPLAS and Budget36 like this.
  10. Counterfeit enabler tools.

rumblegutz likes this.
  11. Zax

Zax
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1952-59 Ford Social Group

According to the guys over on the Ford Barn it was common practice back in the day to restamp replacement Model A blocks to match the serial number on the frame and registration.

12. Dies that look original are good to have even for hot rodders.
    I have not looked that the dies in question.
    Some times, maybe more often on a motorcycle than in a car you find someone who wants to be sure you own it and they know what they are looking at.

I had a Stude once that was an out of state car. The state officer that came out to run ID/OD on it knew what he was looking at. Fortunately I was able to establish a repour with him, he said, "Well you already know that this is not a Stude plate, get one that at least resembles the Studebaker piece and I'll come back and pass it." Fortunately I knew an engraver who made me a plate, not exactly original but close enough to make the cop happy.

VANDENPLAS and SS327 like this.
  13. Ive seen damaged and rotted vin numbers.
    busted a block that’s used for registration?

Not everything is nefarious

14. wuga

wuga
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I too was surprised by Ryan. You can't sell VINs or ownerships here, so why would we condone restamping body or block?
    Warren

2OLD2FAST, loudbang and 51504bat like this.
  15. twenty8

twenty8

I thought the matching numbers that matter were:
    R/T
    60'
    1/8
    MPH
    1/4
    MPH

16. Although I agree that these are handy tools for dishonest people, I disagree that the ONLY purpose they serve is to make a frame or engine that is NOT correct, seem like it is correct.

17. Half of those are letters.:D

18. Zax

Zax
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1952-59 Ford Social Group

They are marked as for Model A, B, T. You guys who have never owned one of these models may not be familiar of how they are stamped. For example the only visible serial on a Model A is on the engine. So if your block cracks and you replace it how can it pass inspection if you don't restamp it?

Ford did not stamp the serial on the body of Model As. Only the frame and engine. The frame stamp can only be seen with the body off.

I'm not saying these could not be used for fraud. But I do think they have a legitimate use as well.

VANDENPLAS, SS327 and Moriarity like this.
  19. inthweedz

inthweedz

Re Ryans post, I don't think he was approving the stamps, I think he was trying to calm the waters between the original post and BJR's reply, before everyone turned it in to a shit storm...
    Maybe the O/P meant to check what's available out there, and buyer of said listed vehicles beware.

SS327 likes this.
  20. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I use stamps strictly for identification purposes only.

1ECDE82D-93F7-4E0C-922B-0233DA782642.jpeg

21. I’d like to have the ford stamp to put on gm engines just to mess with people

22. twenty8

twenty8

The numbers that get added in on each line are impossible to fake though..........;)

23. Those stamps are great for making your motor

FB_IMG_1678121485316.jpg

24. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I can see only one honest reason for using those and that is if you have a stock T or A with a badly damaged block that does have the serial number that matches the title and you are stamping a replacement block and you keep the bad block with number in your possession. Even then the block goes with the car if you sell the car with the advisement to keep the block.

SS327 and BJR like this.
  25. BJR

BJR

But isn't that still illegal, since you are re stamping the serial numbers used for car identification?

26. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Hell I want a set now just to stamp shit on my cars and motors that doesnt make any sense at all. Then let the next generation of folks argue on the internet about the authenticity & originality of said stamps...
    "Only the models buillt in California plant from Dec of 55 through Jan of 56 got the butt plug stamp"... blablabla

27. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ford didn’t match engine numbers to cars until 69 or so…..way out of H.A.M.B.. now matching to your title is different.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  28. Illustrious Hector

Illustrious Hector

Maybe this a canada thing, I have owned several Model A s and part of the VIN is stamped on the sub rail cross brace in the front seat area. ( e.g.F 4***)
    Maybe the body number? engines were long gone when I obtained them.

saltracer219 likes this.
  29. Illustrious Hector

Illustrious Hector

Did you mean E/T ? abrv. elapsed time

30. 19Fordy

19Fordy

I have a 1940-48 Ford transmission that has no number on the case. Wouldn't it be ok to use them to stamp the VIN # on an OEM replacement transmission case that had no number because it was bought from a dealer or was dealer installed many years ago?

Attached Files: