Register now to get rid of these ads!

NSRA 30 years old and older - Merged

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by paintcan54, Apr 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

NSRA East is still pre 49 !
    Where the hell are they going to put all the over flow now ?????????

2. 46mopar

46mopar

I like the pre 72 idea but I like pre 65 better. The keeps all the muscle cars out. And for those folks that think there is no room at Yorks NSRA show haven't been in the last few years.

If the do go to the 30year rule I building one of these.

Attached Files:

3. oh goody! now i got a reason to sport that chrysler cordoba with that wicked corinthian leather!!ricardo eat your fuckin heart out!!:D

4. moparted

moparted
    from upstate ny

the 30 year does work, the Syracuse Nats as had a 1979 cutoff date since they started the snow in 2000. They have 6500+ cars each year. and no its not 2500 vegas and pintos.

5. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow!!----Was I startled to read this thread!!!----Especially the official NSRA letter stating the fact!!
    Back in the early days of "Street Rods" & before NSRA was formed (1970) I was secretary of the LAR club when one meeting night we had some well known "Street Rodders" as guests for the evening, including DICK WELLS, TEX SMITH, TOM MEDLEY,(Stroker McGurk), GILBERT BUGG, & 3 or 4 others I can't recall (old age), they, as a group presented the idea of forming a National car association to be known as NSRA, NATIONAL STREET ROD ASSN. & wanted to know if they could use LAR's constitution & by laws to set up their newly formed group.
    A vote was taken & it was approved to let NSRA use our established "rules, etc."
    Little did we realize at that point in time, was history in the making of such a very large nation wide organization in years to come known as NSRA.
    The next year (1971), NSRA had really started to come alive, so the LAR club members became CHARTER MEMBERS of the new NSRA, my number is still #1976, quite a small number compared to todays thousands.
    I always thought it was a great idea to belong to a group that was honoring the early years of hot rodding history & holding the line at pre 1949 vehicles, because of the post war "Shoebox" body design that had fenders.
    In the last few years NSRA has changed their policy to include later models at certain NSRA events which raised many eyebrows including mine. At the time I felt the pre 49 "Street Rodders" were being compromised for the sake of the old time "BUCKS", but went along with it anyhow, like most of you old timers (?), as mentioned earlier in this thread, Gary Meadors who previously worked for NSRA was a motivated & gifted guy that foresaw the numbers game in "More cars--More money" angle, so he started his own GG organization after breaking off with NSRA, & he did & does well accordingly as it should be.
    For fear of "rambling on", at my age (76), I think that NSRA has made a huge mistake in opening the "Door" for later models to be admitted in ALL NSRA events starting 2010, just for monetary reasons, but---Thats just one CHARTER MEMBERS OPINION!!!-----------Don

Put me on the list with:
    Deuce Roadster (Randy)
    1940 RPU
    Chevy3755
    Fuel 10922
    40 Streetrod

6. Mopar34

Mopar34

Well I guess in 2010 I will have to make a choice...take the 34 or take the 57. NSRA Tampa went to newer cars a few years back, but it did't help much. Previously they had about 1400 attendees, now they have about 1700. I think they expected over 3000, but I don't think it has happened.

York has had a limited space problem ever since they built the new arena that sucked up a lot of parking space. Then York kicked out the motor campers and a lot of rod owners didn't come back so attendance has been steadly dropping. So I guess NSRA needed to get the revenue back in their pockets so they will open it up to cars upto 1979 (yuck). Maybe I'll take my 72 Fiat, it's old enough.:eek:

Maybe a change of scenery is good from time to time, but I still not sure I like what NSRA is doing. Guess I opt out and head over to the Frog Follies.

PS: Kenny...you Mississippi boys are welcome anytime and in whatever 4 wheeler you can find that runs.:D:D

7. streetfreakmustang

streetfreakmustang
    BANNED
    from Ohio

NSRA is looking down the road-long term planning so to speak.

Face it, there is not enough younger guys into street rods to make a '48 only earlier events profitable.The gray hair's are going to start dying soon and then what will they have?

An event with a few rat rod younger guys showing up and going in the red.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2009
  8. toms37gmc

toms37gmc

Well, guess I will be going to the 40th and in my eyes, LAST Street Rod Nationals , this August ( and I drive 900 miles one way to get there). The way I look at it the big reason to go is it's the largest collection of all pre-49 cars in the country. Now it will be just another big car show. Looks like I'll be dropping my NSRA membership when it expires this fall after having it for over 30 years.

9. streetfreakmustang

streetfreakmustang
    BANNED
    from Ohio

Yep, I collect the NSRA and Car Craft street machine nat's stuff.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2009
  10. metal man

metal man

I see enough parts cars at the Greedyguys show here in Columbus . Definately won't be travelling all the way to Knoxville and Kalamazoo like I've been doing since I can remember to see them . The last decent car I can think of was mid-late '60's . I guess they'll do what they feel they need to do , but they'll do it without me . I dropped Street Rodder magazine last year when I started noticing features on parts cars in there regularly . I guess I'm closed minded , but there is nothing wrong with some things staying pre-49 . I guess I'll be saving a few hundred bucks a year on hotels and registration fees .

11. Gator

Gator

Haha - you snuck back in though - didn't ya? :D

I guess I'll hit the upcoming shows in Knoxville and Louisville one last time.

12. I gave up my NSRA membership a few years back when they stopped the camping at York. I have seen the numbers drop every year since. But this year I re joined because I was worried that if the numbers keep falling, they might open York up to newer cars. It's not that I don't like newer cars, I just think some shows should stay pre 49. Louisville and York among them. If they want the newer stuff, then the cut off should not go above 72 (and i would prefer early 60's) because that year ushered in the smogged out, taxi cab bumpered crop of junk that was the 70's.
    I had my 55 in the NSRA street machine division before they got rid of it.

[​IMG]

13. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Bruce, you must be joking with that statement. "There's nothing like a good show with 800 musclecars assembled entirely from rust repair panels and repro trim....",

you just described the NSRA today with that statement. its a bunch of Model A, 32's and other early fords with patch panels or fiberglass (if not all) and little original metal that has not been repaired, no chalk marks but plenty of billet. At least the muscle cars have not gone in the fiberglass (ok there is a nova I think).

Yep I got a good laugh....

ya it will ruin L'ville and a few others but for the most part NSRA and its member base is slowly dying and its not bringing in the new members because most can not relate or can not afford to play.

14. henryj429

henryj429

This is dead on. Back to the fifties works at pre '64 and has been kicking the snot out of the Street Rod Nationals in growth for a decade.

15. 40streetrod

40streetrod
    from nj

NSRA sends out their Street Scene Magazine every month to it's members, then why counldn't they take out a one page ad and ask their member's if it was a good idea to up the year and at what events. then let the membership vote on it?

The pre 48 guys supported them for the last 40 years and now they don't give a shit about them. And the sad part is for everyone who dumps their membership because of this, the later years guys will take up our spots and the cash just keeps rolling in to the NSRA.

so it's a win win for the NSRA

16. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

I attended 10 Nationals between 1977 and 1992. Besides it being only pre-48 cars, I really enjoyed going to different cities and states. A few years after NSRA decided to only have the Nats in Louisville, I dropped my membership. If they started moving it around again, I'd rejoin. If they open the cutoff date to post 48, I wouldn't.

17. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

i have to agree with the majority, 72 is far enought. 80 is crazy.

18. plywude

plywude
    Member Emeritus
    from manteca ca

It continues to blow my mind that so many guys think that being in NSRA entiles them to any thing but a magazine once a month, since 1973 have any of you been asked to vote on any thing, get real NSRA is a business owned by Vernon Walker who says what will happen and when, you are not in a club there is no treasurer report, no voteing on policy or crap...snap out its a magazine subscription by a company that puts on automotive events around the country.....................:D

19. paintcan54

paintcan54

First it was NHRA No Hot Rods Allowed. Now NSRA No Street Rods Allowed. I agree '72 would be good but '65 would be better, as I'm not in to '78 Chebies with 9 6x9s in the rear deck and 4 15" sub wofers in the trunk playing ICP and cruising the fairgrounds on their 30" DUBS, and you don't know who packing their AK's and who dealing smoke. Thats what I want to go to.
    Fred C.

20. 41 mopar

41 mopar

I think its time to bring out the 85 thunderbird with the 50 ford front clip on and then try and see if i can pass it off as a 79. Now the guys with the colorado pickups and stude front ends can sit on the front row. See ya NSRA!!!!!!

21. Mad~Max

Mad~Max

I'm not much of a car show guy, as I'd rather just drive somewhere with a few hot rods to some out of the way place. I never understood NSRA or GG, as everyone just sits around. There's no live music, no strippers, and many need to take some uppers when they head out, so they won't be so boring talking about their low membership number. Leave the wife home, she's burned-out in many ways...

The dealers at these things are a waste of time. I'm not going to pay sales tax when I can have it UPS to my door.

So, help me out, what is the thrill of paying $65 to park my car, walk around all day, and then have no live bands, no strippers, and no drag race?

I just don't get it. Maybe if the cars are newer, the women will be younger and actually still good looking.

22. your a sick man.ya mean like this????,just think VANS at the NSRA nats!!!!

Attached Files:

23. spiffy1937

spiffy1937
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

I can't really see the 30 year rule working at NSRA events. Most of the fairgrounds are packed already. I like the idea of newer cars, I have a '62 Falcon, but not all the way up to 1980.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2009
  24. 5window

5window

I think it will kill NSRA, but I'm not a "member". I really like York and I think a lot of the venders are cool-I spend quite a bit of time talking shop and always get some good info-plus there is something to be said about holding the piece in your hands and not just viewing it in a catalog.

Still, perhaps NSRA should read this form their webpage:
    "In addition, a street rod is a means of self expression for the creator. The builder of a street rod is not confined to guidelines set down by someone else...he can be his own man, and the street rod can be whatever he wants it to be, as long as the basic vehicle was manufactured prior to 1949."

Over on the Homey Ass Van Board, those guys are drooling.

25. moparted

moparted
    from upstate ny

the what board?

26. 55FORDWGN

55FORDWGN

Why would you wait until 2010, if you don't like it "boycott now". What kind of a turnout will they have if the pre 49's stay away this year?

27. 5window

5window

Tongue-in-cheek referral to what guys with 70's vans must log in to. I don't think (hope) such a thing really exists-if it doesn't-here's a real niche for Ryan to fill :)

28. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I see by their schedule they have 4 events this year open to 79 and older, so it's started already.

29. Swifster

Swifster

The 30 year age requirement is fine. Everyone here would have bitched no matter when 70's cars would have been allowed. I get ideas from all ages of cars. To me, it's the quality of the build. While I won't have anything in the shows this year, I hope to have the Studebaker done by then.

30. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Hey thanks for sterotyping anyone with a 70s/80s ride as a dickhead.

You're probably one of those rat rodder guys right? Cause you own an old car it must undoubtedly have 8 foot tall zoomies capped with skulls, and an exposed driveshaft adorned with spiked collars.

Actually I do agree with you. It's best to seperate the newer cars. Cause guys like you can't handle anything outside your one degree field of vision.

Right now there is a lot more cool shit going on with 72-80 rides than with traditional muscle. And none of it has anything to do with donks. All you gotta do is pay attention and don't be suprised when you realize what looks like a mild machine is actually 2X more intensely worked over than a traditional hot rod.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.