Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Now THIS is a valve

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by msgt tank, Feb 18, 2021.

1. msgt tank

msgt tank

Thought you would enjoy the enormity of this valve, a mere 16-1/2" long and 8 pounds. I'm guessing a very large engine....
    PXL_20210218_230759744~2.jpg

2. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Imagine the spring to control it.

3. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

Here's it's pushrod...1-1/4" x 26-1/4"
    pr.jpg
    ;)

41 GMC K-18, rpm56, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  4. egads

egads

That probably goes to the same engine as my 75 pound connecting rod.[​IMG]

5. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

In my home town there was a factory that made soap. JB Williams co. Most known for Aqua Velva and ‘Lectric shave. They generated their own DC power with a huge Diesel engine that had 8 cylinders and was big enough to have a catwalk around it for maintenance people to walk around on. I saw it just before it it was torn down for scrap many years ago. Story goes that before this factory it powered Madison Square area of NYC. Biggest engine I ever saw.

Also, maybe this piston goes with some of the parts shown above. Being down the road a bit from Pratt & Whitney, it wasn’t unusual to see these things being used as ashtrays back on the day.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 18, 2021
    egads, 41 GMC K-18, Deuces and 4 others like this.
  6. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

I never thought I would see another one of those BIG block valves again! I used mine to make a table lamp. 20210218_205138.jpg Mine is a defective new valve for a Deutsh (Idon't know how to spell it) diesel ship engine. This one was slated for a 4 cylinder engine used on the Great Lakes in a smaller freight ship. It only was rated at 27,000 lb-ft at 120 rpm. It was ONLY rated at 600 hp!

egads, 41 GMC K-18, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  7. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

8. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Never thought about that!o_O

Deuces likes this.
  9. Deuces

Deuces

That toilet plunger had me laughing my ass off.....:D:D

partssaloon and loudbang like this.
  10. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Trust me we suck. There are vintage engines out there that are mind blowing. Lippy

egads likes this.
  11. Jokester

Jokester

connecting rod.jpg

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
    '51 Norm, msgt tank, D-Russ and 6 others like this.
  12. rpm56

rpm56

Now this is a connecting rod.

20210218_201343.jpg
    The cost of the floor was $20 million, in 1929.
    20210218_201326.jpg 20210218_201305.jpg

msgt tank, mgtstumpy, egads and 3 others like this.
  13. Guy Patterson

Guy Patterson

Crocker-Wheeler became Foster Wheeler and one of my brothers worked for them in their turbine division. He retired as a metallurgic engineer

Deuces likes this.
  14. brando1956

brando1956

Got a couple of these about the same size. You oughta see the piston! Had one in my store used for a stool at the counter. Took 2 good men to move with a hand truck. Weighed more than a long block, was about 3 feet tall and 2 feet in diameter, ring grooves were about inch. Guy that I got parts from said they set the ring gap with a broomstick. All work was done with chain falls and hoists. Parts came from 12 cylinder gas company compressor engine. Gave it to a scrapper when I closed because I had no place for it and way to heavy to move around but kept the valves.

The gas co. has a number of these engines that transport gas through high pressure pipelines. The pipeline they are on runs 1/4 mile from my house. There are 3 lines running underground, 2 are 36" and 1 is a 48". I can actually hear them rumble at night when the house is quiet. Much more noticeable in the basement. The compressor station where they have a bunch of these is located about 20 miles away. Sounds like a semi-tractor idling. Don't know how many times I've got up in the night and gone outside to see what the hell that noise was. I live in a very rural area where nothing but the critters in the woods make noise so it would trip my security trigger and I'd have to go out and wander around the yard with my dick in one hand and a .45 in the other. Finally figured it out after some internet research. The explanation is that the sound of the engines is conducted through the pipe. It's louder in cold weather when they are packing the lines with gas being sent across the country.

The guy I got this stuff from offered to give me a tour of the compressor station but we never got around to it before he retired. Security there now is so tight it's like getting into Ft. Knox.

15. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Working around the Marine industry for as long as I have, you never know what you will find in the ship yard. This is an exhaust valve from a Worthington marine diesel engine, it stands 21 & 1/2" tall and weigh's about 11 pounds. We use it for the paper towel dispenser in the kitchen. I too have one of those big ass connecting rods, the shovel next to it gives a good measure of scale for size. Its easily 85 pounds.

Worthington exhaust valve 1.JPG Worthington exhaust valve 2.JPG Connecting Rod.JPG

16. Paulz

Paulz

17. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Ford Aerostar.........most popular spring on the HAMB......;)

Ray

18. slowmotion

slowmotion

The locomotive shop I worked out of had pistons, rods, etc sitting around that were mere tinker toys compared to some of this stuff. I was going to get a con-rod for a mailbox post, wish I had.

19. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Need a cotter, pin for those giant parts? This one has a ½" shank and is 5½" over all length....

[​IMG]Giant Cotter Pin by TagMan, on Flickr

Deuces, msgt tank and 41 GMC K-18 like this.