Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Now THAT'S How You Build A Tool Chest

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ClayMart, Mar 20, 2019.

1. H. Gerstner & Sons, Dayton, Ohio.

Deuces, jimgoetz, chop job and 7 others like this.
  2. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

3. williebill

williebill

Wow. Thanks for posting.

fauj likes this.
  4. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very nice.
    A perfect addition to an old-style garage/shop.

fauj likes this.

5. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

That’s a male jewelry box! Too nice to put greasy tools in.

ClayMart and fauj like this.
  6. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

My buddy picked up a box like that at an estate sale, still filled with machinist's tools and a small book full of hand written notes. It's obvious age and honest wear made it a thing of beauty...

Frankie47 and fauj like this.
  7. That's more suited for storing and protecting your "delicate" items. :D Things like your micrometers, dial calipers, bore gauges, etc. You know... your frilly stuff. :p

raven, Deuces, Jim Bouchard and 2 others like this.
  8. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Yes that’s what defined as a machinist chest . I have been out with a few women years ago that carried a tackle box with them . Now that is a scary thought today .

Deuces likes this.
  9. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

When I was doing my apprenticeship as a toolmaker @ 18years old . I was told to buy one that would reflect my work and one you’ll keep forever. I bought the biggest walnut Gerstner box and still have it in the shop. They are works of art and made to last forever......

Deuces likes this.
  10. Latigo

Latigo

Thanks for posting. Beautiful tool boxes. I apprenticed as a machinist about 100 years ago and was amazed at the toolboxes those guys all had.

Deuces likes this.
  11. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

So that’s the basis of those cheap HF boxes that they sell. Wonder how much th real deal costs?

12. They're certainly more expensive than a nice new Kennedy machinist's chest. But they are also a lot prettier. :p

https://gerstnerusa.com/chests-and-bases/2007-chest
    :rolleyes:

continentaljohn likes this.
  13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

14. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

wow, I have my dads old gershner box he bought new, im guessing 1930 or so. my sister had it and refinished it, and gave it to me. I will post pics! never throught they were still in business!

15. Please do! We all love looking at pictures. :D

scotty t likes this.
  16. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

Wow, that is some quality woodworking. These days, that would look out of place in our updated garage. Our white cabinets would make that free standing tool chest stand out, that is for sure. We once had an old wooden tool chest, nowhere near the quality and size of the one shown. We had fun with the tool chest. But, over time, it got damaged with the constant tools going in and out of the drawers.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/hamb-vintage-tool-box-club.146631/page-26#post-11958639

So, we got a simple Craftsman metal one that lasted 25+ years. But, when I was heavily into slot car racing, wooden tool boxes or chests with multiple drawers were the latest rage. Lightweight, sturdy and nothing to drain out magnets from the recently charged drag racing and sports car motors. With metal, there was a chance of metal on magnets draining the supplied power. With wooden drawers, there was no chance of accidental draining.
    upload_2019-4-8_3-50-24.png upload_2019-4-8_3-50-45.png new “pit” boxes lined with felt
    Jnaki

As much as I liked wooden tool cabinets, for us, they were eventually replaceable since they got beat up really fast. Even with plastic lining, or felt type material to deaden the sound and offer some protection to the bodies, the metal ones lasted for ever.
    upload_2019-4-8_3-52-44.png

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/vintage-tool-cabinets.1102640/#post-12549956 dental cabinet

We even went so far as to try a multiple drawer, dental tool cabinet that rolled as our hot rod tool chest. The rolling wheels made it easier to move the tools to the car and not have to carry the heavy portable metal tool chest. The dental multiple drawer chest had tons of drawers, a baked on black finish on side, and whole structure. (with a white on the drawer faces) It even had a secret pop up drawer in the top rear surface. That secret place was the area to store Mercury, Silver Amalgam and various types of dental gold, for teeth fillings in the old days.
    upload_2019-4-8_3-56-51.png
    But, the fragile baked on paint of the whole structure did not work out for everyday hot rod tool usage. I gave it to my old high school friend who was now a dentist. After his hot rod days, he used it for keeping his rare wood pieces that were made into custom lathe turned pens and pencil sets. He said those drawers would be great for the different sized raw pieces and for the finished finger grip/cap pieces of wood.

The multiple separations within a drawer or two would be for the types of wood, pencil grips, caps, and for the internal pieces. Those pencil/pen sets had a lot of little parts that all had to have separate drawers for ease of installation. So, what we learned in lathe machine work during our high school metal shop, auto shop, and wood shop all came into play many years later.
    upload_2019-4-8_4-19-8.png

Dean Lowe and 47ragtop like this.
  17. 54reno

54reno

I have one of those Gerstner boxes in my garage. It was my father in laws had no idea it was worth that kind of money.

18. khead47

khead47

As an apprentice in 1966 I bought one for $250 ! Lotta money then.

Deuces likes this.
  19. In my younger days, 1960's they were the machinist tool box to have. excellent quaility

20. 1940Willys

1940Willys

Definite Eye Candy for the wide eyed young apprentice I once was. Penny pinching, I bought all metal Machinists Boxes. And for the olfactory senses. Add a camphor block to the bottom drawer to disperse lite oils for rust protection. Intoxication in a Good way! I was always fascinated with the precision tools those Beauties held. Lufkin, Brown & Sharp, and Starrett.

ClayMart likes this.