Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features now does this look better

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jan bogert, Sep 13, 2013.

1. jan bogert

jan bogert

last week I won a nice trophie for 1st place streetrod class. now I got 40's style wheels and wide whites, how does it look now? BEFORE + AFTER.:)

Attached Files:

2. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

That's a good start for sure.

3. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Very blurry new pictures, but from what I can see it looks good.

Now it's time to lower that thing!!

4. slammed

slammed

Yes. Find someone to loan some 5 spoke rollers and that will (with the color and stle of this car) put it over the top. Pie crust grooved slicks would rule. But one step at a time. P.S. thank-you for not putting red wheels on it.

5. jan bogert

jan bogert

el scotto, its got brand new possie front and rear reverse eye springs, I'm going to put 300 pounds on the front and on the rear when I park it for the winter.

6. jan bogert

jan bogert

slammed, they were red, I just got done spraying them black.

7. AHotRod

AHotRod

Pull the trim rings off and take another (better) picture..........

8. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Get that thing sitting lower and you are there.

9. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

with the new tires on there it looks like a Hot Rod out of the 40's. why adding more weight? might have to check into a dropped front axle and different rear spring set up.

10. 1955IHC

1955IHC

Looks much better. It's hard to see in the picture but those look like some pretty odd trim rings do you have a better picture. They sort of look like beadlocks.:confused: and I second the motion to get it a bit lower. But very good start.:thumbup:

Sent via Western Union Express

11. jan bogert

jan bogert

I was told by Posie, that the springs need to brake in. he said to put weight on the bumpers to help break in the springs, there very stiff. I might look into removing a leaf or two.

12. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

If you truly want an honest opinion, just putting white walls and steel wheels on it really doesn't "backdate" it to any particular time frame. It does look better, but I would save some bucks over the winter and do a dropped axle, and some smaller front tires, too. If those are 15" wheels I would go to a pair of 5.60X15s. The rears almost look to short for the car as well. Something in the range of an 7.60-8.20 or L78 in the rear would fill the wheel well better. If it's still on an "A" spring you could drop that pretty economically with a "T" rear spring.

Were it mine, with the metallic blue paints involved in the color scheme I'd think about maybe doing to wheels in a light metallic silver or even a white color with those trim rings on it, and a '40 Standard cap. Just some thoughts that are easily and inexpensively done.

13. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

More better. I'd lose the radlals, and go with taller meat out back to fill the wells....if it were mine......and I wish it was! :)

Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
  14. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

Bring that bitch down.

15. spring alone won't do it , it needs a dropped axle

16. jan bogert

jan bogert

i'l lower it, maybe over the winter. right now i'm doing the body work on my '33 willys. i'm making a sedan delivery out of my four door. once the body work and its in primmer by the end of Oct. then i'll have some more time to play with lowering the'31.:)

Attached Files:

17. upspirate

upspirate

Jan good step.... can you pop the trim rings off and give us a look?

If you are going for a 60's look, I think some folks forget that the cars weren't ALL that low.I seem to remember lots of "high water" cars

I also seem to remember some with skinny white walls and black rims

18. F&J

F&J

Bob Bleed ran the same old time trim rings, but with smoothy caps, on his "Little red truck" 34 Ford. He got tons of replies from people who loved the look.

Some were factory rings, like 37 plymouth, and some aftermarket companys made copies in 15 and 16".

19. Hurley50

Hurley50
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NC

I agree.

20. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Question is, are YOU happy with it?

21. jan bogert

jan bogert

i'm very happy with it, but i'm going to put dog dish caps on it yet., and lower it also.

22. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Yup, definitely needs a nose drop.

23. upspirate

upspirate

BTW, you have a very nice ride....hope your feathers didn't get ruffled by the suggestions!!!;);)

24. jan bogert

jan bogert

not at all, to each their own!:):):)

25. Good looking car but the stink bug look would look better. HRP

26. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

I like the change. Like I said on your other thread, I like the stance. Refreshing, different, and traditional.

I have a tudor that had similar height in front and back. I heard the same comments that you are getting. I reversed the spring on the front and dropped it down some.

I would run it for awhile the way it is. 90% will tell you that you need to drop it, 10% or maybe 5% will tell you that is just the way they're "A" looked back in the day.

27. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

Looks better man! Much better

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

28. jan bogert

jan bogert

yea I know, thanks hotrodderhagg, it needed these. I sprayed them black as soon as I got home from the truck terminal.:) I got front and rear reverse eye springs super slide, but there still new very stiff. I need to put about 300 pounds on front and rear when I put it away for the winter. that will loosen up on the springs.

29. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

Well I'm glad they arrived on time,
    I have seen guys even ratchet stap suspension down to make them settle in. My model a dropped 1 inch after driving it all summer and letting things settle in place

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Last edited: Sep 14, 2013