Register now to get rid of these ads!

Now brake experts... need help.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by OldCarPilot, Jun 17, 2008.

1. OldCarPilot

OldCarPilot
    from Bel Air MD

I've done a ton of brakes in my days, but here is my problem.

53 chevy truck. Old wheel cylinders (not 50s). Have rebuilt the brakes, but did not change the wheel cylinders. Run good fluid through all wheels. Bled them all twice. The front right one GRABS when the brake is pressed. It is adjusted way out, and yet it grabs WAY before the left one does. And when I say grabs, it basicly just locks up. Anyone know what is causing this?
    Need new cylinders?

2. greasemunkey

greasemunkey
    from katy, TX

Have the same prob on mine, kept/cleaned the old cylinders to save a buck...(over priced in specialty parts catalogs $30-$40 a pop or so)...Go to O'reilly, each fron tcyl is $8, the rears, $12...Just replace 'em.

3. OldCarPilot

OldCarPilot
    from Bel Air MD

Yeah... I found that the rear ones, which I had to replace, were $50 each for the stock type cylinder. Went to my local oreillys and got 2 57 rear wheel cylinders for $10 each. A little tiny bit of grinding and they work perfectly. Maybe I can do the same with the front.

4. budd

budd

sounds like you may have some brake fluid on your shoes, if brake fluid gets on the brake shoes or drums then they will grab, have to wash everything down with brake klen.

5. Bodacious

Bodacious

A defective hose at that wheel could cause this too. Even when they appear good from the outside, sometimes they swell up or clog internally, causing them to act like a one-way valve, allowing pressure to pass through for initial application but not allowing the fluid to flow both ways properly. Just another possibility to consider.