Register now to get rid of these ads!

Novice Wiring oversight. HELP!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mopar Mama, May 26, 2008.

1. Mopar Mama

Mopar Mama
    from Boise, ID

So, I'm a little new at this. I don't mind dirt, grease, any of it really. I have a beginner's knowledge of mechanics, but when it comes to wiring, my head is pretty far up my ass. Being the go-getter that I am, I tore everything out thinking "I'll remember where that went." Yeah. To make matters worse, I think it was grounded on the alternator! Long story short, I fried the alternator. I have a new harness which I was planning on installing today, but I don't know what to ground to. I have searched the web without any success. Wiring diagrams anyone? Or can you at least tell me where my ground is? It's a 52 Plymouth Cambridge with a 218 6. Same from 49 to 52. I know others are building them. Any info would be much appreciated! :confused:

2. piker

piker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There is a book with cartoon pictures and its called something like "wiring for dummys" its only like 7 bucks. Its what I always refer too. Your car could also possibly be pos ground instead of neg ground. My 50 stude truck is 6volt pos groung.

3. You say alternator I think 12 volt. On GM alternators you don't have a ground wire for the alt. The ground runs thru the head and block. You must have a ground from the battery to the block are frame and even better both.

4. as 325w said....do you have an alternator that's 12 volts negative ground , or a generator with 6 volt positive ground?

5. If you are 12V neg ground, I have always been a believer in extra grounds never hurting anything. I tend to put extra engine to body, engine to frame, frame to body ground straps. it really helps the cicuits flow. I also take a factory wiring diagram, go to Kinko's, or another print shop and have them blow the drawing up to a larger copy. then color it with a color pencil set and install one circuit at a time.

6. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

You need two things. Do NOT touch the wiring on your car without these two things:
    A multi-meter from Sears. They're really cheap these days. It will help you test what wires have electricity and what they connect to. Sears used to sell a small book on how to use a multi-meter as well. Get it. If not at sears, go to Radio Shack.
    Next thing: a factory shop manual. It will have wiring diagrams in it.
    Look around on ebay for one, or if that doesn't work, other websites. There's also a guide you can get that will have vendors in it selling everything for your car: 1-800-MOTOR HEAD, and order the guide book that covers '50s Chryslers.

-Brad

7. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Did you get a new reproduction 52 Plymouth harness or a generic "universal fit all" hot rod 12V wiring harness? Your answers will vary greatly depending on the harness and the voltage that you are using.

8. pacemaker

pacemaker

Your car came 6volt, positive ground, generator. the battery , generator/alternator and starter all need to be one ( 6v + ground )or 12 v - ground ) the other. Bulbs, relays , etc. can come later, they don't care what the ground is, just the voltage

9. elwood blues

elwood blues

she got a generic universal harness. dont know if the fact that we are trying to do a neg ground will effect the points coil ect?

10. Mopar Mama

Mopar Mama
    from Boise, ID

Thank you for all your input! It's a 12 volt neg ground. The harness is a one-size fits all. After staring long and hard, using a a few choice words, and pulling my hair out, I decided that instead of beating a dead horse, I'm taking a new approach. Different ignition cylinder fits right in my dash. Not perfect, but I'm not messing with the old one. Really weird set up. Maybe later, but the damn thing needs to run. That's all I care about. Thanks again, I'll keep you all updated!