Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ***November 2021 Banger Meet Thread - Stay Warm***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Nov 2, 2021.

1. I don’t think Jim ever made a cast iron head
    Yes I hear the patterns are for sale and we have been talking

Jet96, pkhammer and Dustyp489 like this.
  2. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

good luck john !

3. RussTee

RussTee

Irs a good carb but it is very easy to warp the top plate of the float bowl this leads to leaks. Sometimes they can bestraightened by rubbing them on some fine emery paper on a surface plate.

Old Dawg and Dannerr like this.
  4. carbking

carbking

The Tillotson JR series was sold as a universal replacement carburetor through such sterling establishments as J.C. Whitney, and Warshawski to individuals too frugal to purchase a gasket set for the original carburetor.

Not the best carburetor ever produced.

Jon.

5. Yeah, I figured that would be the same, as my 81 seems to suffer under - my wife reluctantly gave in and accepted it to sit on my coffee shelf in the kitchen, so I'm looking at that daily, and have noticed, that it will be leaking, if used as-is.

Compared to a B carb, is it worth the while of going throug? I mean, with what seems to be an acceleration pump and adjustable jet at the bottom, I think, that it should be an improvement... or am I way off?
    Don't wanna make a mistake, if anyone else knows it already...

6. s.e.charles

s.e.charles

the Farnsworth speed book:

Q: anyone know of a legible size print version of this book?

the copy i bought years ago from amazon was great, but i had to use my opti-visor to see the words in much of it.

thanks

7. carbking

carbking

The Ford B Zenith carbs are in demand because they are much better than the Ford A Zenith carbs, and quite a few Ford A folks have switched.

The Tillotson JR series were in demand a few years ago, as the rabbit population increased, and the Tillotson had sharp edges when one thrown actually hit a rabbit, when the rabbit was having dinner in one's garden! The Tillotsons were cheaper than rocks! Actually, a .410 is a better solution.

On that note, Disney and Looney Tunes have it all wrong about Bugs Bunny! The bunnies won't touch a carrot, but two adult rabbits can wipe out a 50 foot row of beet tops overnight!

Do you have a rabbit problem in Denmark? If not, and the JR is clean, it makes a decent paperweight.

Jon

8. I know - but that wasn't the questions, which was:
    And if so, why?
    They might have been, I wouldn't know, I just got this in a parts bin.
    What do you mean by .410?
    I wouldn't know. I am asking questions at a message board for old cars, not "how to kill pests" - or at an open mic night at a comedy club.

Barrelnose pickup likes this.
  9. carbking

carbking

OK - apologies, as in my first post I did not realize you were from outside the USA.

If you will look at my first post, I mentioned that this item was sold through J.C. Whitney and Warshawski to customers too frugal to purchase a gasket set for the original carburetor.

Whitney and Warshawski had one criteria for their sales: the item must be extremely low in price.

So a frugal (read cheap) customer could buy this shiny new carburetor??? like your question FOR LESS MONEY THAN 2 GASKETS AND 8 FIBER WASHERS FOR THE ORIGINAL CARBURETOR. This was an attempt to state this thing is a piece of (*&^%$ without actually stating it is a piece of *&^%$

I thought this should answer your question.

So when this didn't work, I attempted levity, which obviously also did not work.

So if you really want to attempt to use it, go ahead.

This unit was sold as a "throw-away" (use it if you can until you cannot, then throw it away).

To my knowledge, NO major carburetor kit company has ever offered a rebuilding kit for this item. The original maker did offer gaskets and a fuel valve 85 years ago, but these parts have been obsolete for a long time (probably 84 years!). One specialty company does offer a kit today, but they do not ship outside of the USA. Also, to my knowledge, other than this rebuilding kit, no other parts are offered today.

EDIT: as to your questions about an accelerator pump and the adjustable main metering jet.

An accelerator pump is of, at best, questionable value, on an updraft carburetor. Stromberg NEVER used an accelerator pump on an updraft, and to my knowledge, neither did Zenith. These are arguably the best updrafts ever made. Both Stromberg and Zenith did use vacuum pumps on their more expensive updrafts. The difference is explained on my website.

The JR series does have an adjustable main metering jet. However, this begs the question, how important is being able to adjust the fuel at the beginning of its journey, when the rest of the unit (restrictors, air bleeds, venturi, etc.) are incapable of properly mixing and atomizing the fuel?

Jon.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2021
  10. railcarmover

railcarmover

Resized_Resized_20211118_133125.jpeg

At the woman's house in WV,her son had this poor buick under a tarp outside..cleaned it up checked her over and took it for a spin..The next day my Ford hurt like hell, developed a rash..didn't think a little buick could do that..

11. Thank you, Jon - THAT was the answers, I was looking for!
    Hope you get your pests under control. ;-)

For those, who want to read more, Jon's website is: https://www.thecarburetorshop.com/Aftermarketupdraftcarburetors.htm

12. carbking

carbking

We raise stew in the garden - carrots, beets, beans, and..................rabbits ;)

Glad I could finally help. Happy Thanksgiving!

Jon.

13. s.e.charles

s.e.charles

what? - no vegetable marrow?

14. RussTee

RussTee

I would think that in your part of the world SU carbs would be fairly easy to find .theres a bit of work making an inlet manifold but you will find there is plenty of room for selecting jets and tuneing or else you could go all out and buy a webber and manifold some of these older carbs though looking traditional are hardly worth the effort

Dannerr likes this.
  15. You're right, @RussTee - I already have a spare set of SU's on manifold off a Volvo B16, and a BMC manifold for SU, which both looks relatively easy to modify to the bangers.
    I asked, as I found this carb in a purchased parts bin, and as I build to apply to race at Rømø, where diversity is more likely to get accepted, I was wondering, if the JR5A were a better carb than the B, which currently are on my Simmons Swan intake. :)

16. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

You have rabbits I have deer

17. carbking

carbking

So do I, but shooting Bambi makes one a bad guy! Bugs Bunny is not as popular (or maybe it is easier to hide the evidence ;) )

Jon.

18. carbking

carbking

Dannerr - if you have one of the ultra-rare Simmons Swan intakes, you could consider installing either a Simmons or Swan carburetor.

Neither will run very well, but you just might be the only kid on the block (or in the solar system) to run the system ;)

Jon.

19. I do, Jon, but the carbs seem to be harder/more expensive to find than the intake was. Here is the old (July 2018) startup video:

Jet96 likes this.
  20. rwrj

rwrj
    from SW Ga

A 410 is a small gauge shotgun, very common in the US. Often used on small game like rabbits and squirrels.

Dustyp489 and Dannerr like this.
  21. Jiminy

Jiminy

22. - so not carb nor banger related. Thanx, @rwrj! :)

23. sunbeam

sunbeam

Looking through an old motors manual all splash engine manufactures did not recomend anything heaver than 20W oil

24. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes,
    I've rethought oil viscosity and been running 5W15 I figure there is probably more getting back into the dipper trays on a cold start and it has good oil pressure when it it hot....
    Good observation by you

Dustyp489 likes this.