Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ***November 2020 Banger Meet Thread - Shop Time!***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Nov 1, 2020.

1. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

Looked at the rules does not mention transmissions i think they started making these transmissions in the late 50s

winduptoy likes this.
  2. Burl
    They are looking at transmissions
    Art Moore was asked to not show this year
    T5’s are also out

J

3. I've noticed they are a bit biased.. My friend raced in a modified T with a HOT flathead, ran a Muncie 4 speed.. No problems.

What car was Art going to show, the Overhead RPU? I love that thing.

winduptoy likes this.
  4. Look at last year’s results
    See if the yellow boat tail car is shown

J

5. railcarmover

railcarmover

Asked not to show? what kind of shit is that?that smells like douchbaggery,the stuff of the model A clubs.

Old Dawg, Randall, Binger and 3 others like this.
  6. rwrj

rwrj
    from SW Ga

Well, we've still got nice driving weather down south. Checking in after my Saturday morning spin. You can see by the tires it's was just a little drizzly out, had to put the windshield up and even use the hand-operated wipers a couple of times. Hahaa.

IMG_20201107_100437473_HDR.jpg

IMG_20201107_100445128_HDR.jpg

Shutter Speed, burl, Old Dawg and 8 others like this.
  7. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

john , what was the reason for not showing transmissions ?
    im lost on this ............... steve

8. Steve,

sent you a PM, J

9. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit

Art Moore is a man with one leg !!
    And his remaining leg is useless...for decades !
    Art has used a 727 automatic due to his severe handicap.
    Are you saying that Art is NOW excluded , from racing, due to automatic trans use ?

BTW, who are ‘ THEY’ ?

Last edited: Nov 7, 2020
    97 and GuyW like this.
  10. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

slowly sneaking up on progress, started around Xmas last year. Unfortunately my engine guru has had a few health issue which stopped progress, the issues have returned again . It was to go back in a few weeks ago. Just in the process of making a new sump baffle.
    2684D8FB-3B06-4E89-A7F4-9F697E1A10EC.jpeg 691DBCA5-0777-4889-887A-AE7E89B247A9.jpeg D9A492B6-E214-4E81-9E06-1DEE71EA2BAA.jpeg 2D373FC4-12E1-4A19-A60D-17B66CE5E3ED.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 9, 2020
  11. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Steve Serr , Miller Hi Speed head Co. But it will get disguised a little by an original cragar rocker cover and side cover. As we want to keep the new engine in keeping with the used look of our 32 we are just debating how well POR 15 paint will adhere to the aluminium head .

Leon Sandcastle likes this.
  12. I am not sure that POR 15 would be necessary on an aluminum head.
    I think Steve has been resin sealing all castings, send him a note. If so, I think just a primer and paint of choice would be all that is necessary.
    That is a nice looking setup, very nice.
    Hard to tell from pics, are all the plugs and restrictors set up for the oil galley? Did the oil galleys get drilled?

John

Old Dawg and Leon Sandcastle like this.
  13. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit

Hey Kiwi,
    The Serr head that you have there, is a great choice, and is the best available today ! Serr has not used resin sealing for years as his famous head progressed thru the decades !
    If you are set on changing you Serr alum head appearance, there is a chemical which will etch the alum and make paint adherence positive... 100 percent !
    Why not make it a Miller dressed blk to match the Serr Miller head...as Miller preceded Cragar. There are great Miller side plate covers, etc available. If wanted, I can send pics of some I have if wanted. Either way, you will love the performance of this head, IMO ! Good luck. Let us know of your progress.

Old Dawg likes this.
  14. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

I suspect that it is FAST and may have something to do with insurance now that they have disbanded and events are run by Chapters under the FAST insurance. I opted to replace my Mooneyes EFI in order to compete in FAST events. I don’t have a problem with rules as “run what you bring” turns into a cubic dollar pissing match.

Barrelnose pickup likes this.
  15. railcarmover

railcarmover

Open classes are better than no classes.I see the pissing match issue,but I say let anyone run provided its a banger.What does it hurt? keep the classes for the guys who build and compete,allow the guys who dont fit a class run.

winduptoy likes this.
  16. Hmmm it wasn’t FAST, maybe try reading the previous posts.....
    J

Old Dawg and brjnelson like this.
  17. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

After awhile they all run together. Thought RPM was the same as Antique Nationals run by For Ever Fours.

Attached Files:

18. Antique nationals is completely different. Antique Nationals runs at Fontana while RPM Nationals and the FAST trials are both at San Margarita Ranch

19. My search capabilities suck, I am sure it is in here somewhere. Running inserts on a model B diamond block, does the rear main seal need to be clearanced to not bind on the crank. I was asked this, but the more I contemplate, it seems if you aren't changing the diameter of the crank it wouldn't change the seal right? I am wondering if the statement came from running a B crank in an A block? Just trying to make sure I don't miss something and kill this new motor.

20. Jim,

Good practice would say to check for clearance. There are a lot of factors, check the thrust bearing also, look for clearance in the radius of the crank journals.
    If I recall correctly, the flanges on the "B" crank do require trimming to fit into an "A" block, the rear recess is not deep enough.
    As a matter of practice, assemble the crank into the block without the front or rear seals in place. I like to use gear oil for this, it is thin enough to feel the clearances and should allow the crank to turn easily, you should be able to turn the crank by hand on the throws. If it feels tight, loosen the center main and check, if no difference, retighten and move to front or rear.

Best, John

Old Dawg likes this.
  21. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit

Agree....let em run.....don't run them off !

Finally, some good news:
    TULARE SWAP MEET ....Saturday Jan 30th, 2021....RAIN OR SHINE !
    for details/questions call...(559) 688-1030 !
    I have a detailed flyer with more detailed info, but do not know how to get it on here.

GuyW and waxhead like this.
  22. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Now it seems the side of B sump wont clear the Dan Price oil pump, only 1/4” in it . Will need to get out the red wrench and a Chevy wrench (Big hammer)
    E336A468-DF27-4443-A71E-5920316080E7.jpeg

Shutter Speed and KiWinUS like this.
  23. David Mazza

David Mazza

CBC1AFEB-C000-48B3-BFC3-95BDFA8F3C23.jpeg C7B586DB-6F94-4DB0-9602-536FA2FEA0DA.jpeg 469936BA-626A-4289-B1C0-D42717BBD2E8.jpeg Well my roadster is starting to come together finally. Lots still to do but encouraging nonetheless! CBC1AFEB-C000-48B3-BFC3-95BDFA8F3C23.jpeg

24. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Got this yesterday regarding the Speedster Reunion in Lincoln:

We are still in the planning stages but will start advertising costs and which hotels are hosting. We do know the dates will be June 23rd to the 26th of 2021. Keep an eye on our Events page on our website for more details coming in January and I'll keep you on my list of folks to update when we've made more decisions about the hotels and costs. We're looking forward to it!

brjnelson likes this.
  25. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

question please
    1931 ford vega cross steer ............ what causes bump steer ? how to fix it ? ........ thanks .. steve

26. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

B1CB554D-9764-4E94-A554-1AACD4D3A666.jpeg Something to get the ol' blood going!

27. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

Was looking at that image last night.Was thinking about making a set of pipes like that for my roadster.Might be kinda loud.

Jet96 likes this.
  28. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

Need more data.Good or bad i fixed my bump steer with a steering stabilizer.

29. railcarmover

railcarmover

36811_105807356143448_6576022_n.jpg
    the little tykes cozy coupe beats the Vw beetles 18 million and the model T's 15 million units sold with 22 million units sold world wide since production began... :)..had a few of them around,most I ever had to do was straighten an axle and drill some holes to drain the water out of it..