Register now to get rid of these ads!

November 2013 Banger Meet

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jiminy, Nov 2, 2013.

1. Anyone know the chronology of headers? Did they start from split manifolds, then cast headers, then pipes? Kinda curious as to when the changes occurred to properly date a banger. Especially what was being run in the 40's on a banger.

2. joemac05

joemac05

Hot hot rodders have probably been building tubing exhaust systems since the beginning of time. :D Probably most were four into one in the early days...

3. A whole lotta curved brass and steel bedsteads disappeared as tube headers became more popular.

4. On the American Hot Rod site I saw a photo of tube headers in the ladder fashion dated 1937.

5. anyone have a youtube for a banger with CAST headers? I hear (pun intended) that they are quieter. I know, what fun is that. I know I want to use the original exhaust routing. (Probably with a smitty), so I will be doing 4 into one.

6. Yapp's are the ones I was looking at. crminal, did you make or buy the pipe to bolt up to the headers?

7. Made it, still fits inside the splash pan. They have jet hot on them. The pipe is painted.

8. Sorry for the (properbly) stupid question, but what is "jet hot"?

Kind regards, the unaware dane...

9. No stupid questions here!
    www.jet-hot.com
    Polished silver 1300 degree coating. Works as promised, lifetime warranty. Looks like polished aluminum (the intake is polished aluminum, the headers are cast iron).

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. 1932tub

1932tub

I am in the process of adapting a V8 oil pump to my B block as per the instructions in Jim Brierlys book '4 bangers and me '
    He shows pre setting the pressure relief valve by spinning the pump driven by a drill in a bucket of oil using ' type A ' fluid to simulate hot oil
    Anyone have an idea what this fluid is? Auto trans fluid?

11. Tub,

I would think any light oil would do as auto trans fluid or marvel mystery oil.

Make sure to leave a nice radius on the body when you turn the OD down to fit into the block. And, make sure to chamfer the hole in the block.

J

12. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

ATF Used to have a lub compinant ........ now only power steering fluid is the only one with lub I think. But no matter any light oild should work as John says :)

13. Has anyone actually tested the numbers for a tube header as compared to a stock A manifold ? I know the cool factor is up there but is it really worth the effort (money) ? I used the new stock "A" manifold and had it porcelain enamel coated just because...;)
    Ron

Attached Files:

14. I really don't think there is any doubt but unless you have other significant modifications prolly not worth the investment to just cruise around town looking "cool" and with the exhaust going puckety puckety. You might learn something in this regard if you check out some sites with dyno results, Piranio's http://www.modelaparts.net/ come to mind, or read other materials such as Urb Stairs book. He describes some early results with "tuned" exhaust both by accident and on purpose. But these were race engines or hot rod type engines. Early high dollar cars such as Cadillacs utilized porcelain finishes on manifolds.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
  15. Ron of happy dz,

Go to piranio's web site and scroll down the dyno tests until you come to the Texas Raffle engine tests. Notice the improvement with the 4 into 2 as compared to the 4 into 1.

16. Nearly the end of the month but my timing tag from Pendine has turned up. Fastest four banger on the day it seems on my trundle along the beach with no more pistons than a cow has teats.

[​IMG]

17. I LIKE IT! What does it cost to get it coated?

18. I had it coated by Cap's in Fresno.... (559)233-1461 in 2008 and it was $250 plus shipping.
    I bought the new "A" manifold from Khuns Tractor in New York state and had them ship it to Cap's ...
    Very happy with the whole deal !
    Ron

19. Very nice detail! :)

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

20. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo