Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects nothing to do today- how about build 2 t bucket frames

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31Vicky with a hemi, Jul 8, 2016.

1. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Great work. You should consider replacing (or at least capping) that wood deck with a sheet of metal to decrease the chance of fire.

2. Thanks
    The table is not a concern at all.
    That stuff doesn't burn very well at all and I haven't had any luck with screwing a piece of wood down on a steel table. The only thing on that table id like better is if magnets stuck to it better.

3. brg404

brg404
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Really nice work there, but wouldnt you have to put on a front spring perch to sell one? Just curious about market expectations - how complete do your frames need to be?

4. Thank you !

A study of what's available currently , well they are all over the place as far as price and included parts. It tough to make an apples to apples comparison.
    Some on the market have the perch and some don't. Some have only the perch added and some have 1 ,3, 5, 10 up to 25 extra parts welded on.

Market expectations ? Fnck I was just bored.

As far as the front perch goes, a generic fits all one can be added on easy enough. But what if it's not quite right for the Swap meet front end someone already has and needs to be moved up down in or out? Motor mounts are easy enough too but what if someone wants something other than SBC biscuits. Steering? Corvair, vega, cowl ? Rear suspension the same thing.

They want 3 grand for thus one. I'd build those all day long for that.
    image.png
    Now There's a stamped rear A crossmember for a few hundred bucks, a few $5.00 tabs and do-dickies and a $30 perch welded on.

Look here : it's the same pic, who is using who's though?
    image.png
    image.png

image.png image.png image.png

What started this was a buggered up Tbucket. The frame needs a bunch of surgery. I know It would take more to do the surgery than to just make a new frame. Ever bracket welded to the fubar frame is wrong. ( every single one) So I need to cut them all off, deal with the scars and then make and install all new brackets. Plus it's twisted. Way better to start from new. However the owner is young and completely befuddled at the POS he bought and is watching pennies as the dollars slip right past him. The first sale will be to him and at my cost.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2016
    kidcampbell71 and Raunchy like this.
  5. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Nice work! I believe speedways cheapest base T frame is right at 500 dollars.

6. Thank you !

$ 350.00 plus freight
    It's 1-1/2 x3 with a front perch.
    Weeks out on lead time. Are they made in China too?

I used 2x3
    2.75 x 0.25 DOM tube up front ( not cheap at $12.00 LF) with rails wrapped up front.
    Plus I had it in my grubby little hands in just 4 hours .

It's hard to tell by the pic what joints they used or and if it's 22.5 meters if there's fish plates.

image.png

7. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

Speedway does have a mfg facility there too , raw stuff like tubing quickie plasma and flame cut stuff, cnc do-dads that are ez I believe are still made in Nebraska

I think you have to look closely at their ad, they used to offer a t frame unwelded and welded , so the welded one maybe 500?

8. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like the idea of no front spring mount. I have one of those Speedway frames, and after the first mockup, it was obvious that the original one wouldn't work for what I wanted, so off it came!

9. Paid extra for it.
    Worked extra to take it off.

Double whammy the wrong way

10. They are in my way and up for sale

11. A Boner

A Boner

image.png A good start to building a "T" like this one!

12. The37Kid

The37Kid

What is a MSO? We don't need any of that stuff in Connecticut, or just mail the registration request to Maine. Bob

13. realsteel1934

realsteel1934
    from usa

Bob please give me call on my cell trying to get in touch with you and lost your #

Kevin 203 733 3092

14. wicarnut

wicarnut

Nice work ! If I was in the T bucket state of mind, I would be calling you. Keep on, Keeping on !

15. Those look great. What is wall thickness on the frame rails?

16. butch27

butch27

I'm looking at a new frame . I'm at 97" wheelbase going to about 103"