Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Nothing Special

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hooligan36, Oct 20, 2008.

1. Hooligan36

Hooligan36

Well, I decided to go ahead and start my build thread here. It seems everytime I have a question it gets answered over here, so now I find myself over here all the time. Its a slow build..... but its started

First I started with a 25 Maxwell cowl. The cowl was in really good shape for its age. Soon after, I bought a 25 Chrysler grill and also scored a Ford 8" rear for $35.00. I then went to Speedway and bought a repo Ford frontend....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Hooligan36

Hooligan36

I started the body framework with 1x1 and some 3/4 square tube. I know I am going to have to remove the lower rails in order to get my channel correct, but I needed the support for now

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Hooligan36

Hooligan36

Next up was the dash. I knew the odds of finding stock gauges was pretty much out of the question, so I decided to pull the 36 Dodge gauges from the cowl I had laying around.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Hooligan36

Hooligan36

thats pretty much where im at as of now. I have bought a old firetruck light for a taillight, model t gas tank, and I have my front wheels which are 16" Ford spokes off at powder coat right now.

5. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

great start, reminds me of how i started, just a cowl, front end and some wheels..

[​IMG]

6. dieselc

dieselc
    from ohio

Looks like a start, but you got a long way to go, good luck with it.

7. Hooligan36

Hooligan36

yes I do have a long way to go.

A friend of mine was going throug a mid life crisis and bought a new GM 350 long block from Jegs. He picked up along with it a Edelbrock performer, Balancer, MSD 6A, Mallory wires, fuel pump, 1-wire alternator, and a high torque mini starter. He then proceeded to pay $1400.00 to have a local completely build him a 700r4. Keep in mind this was going into a 81 280Z.

Next thing you know the project sat for almost a year because he gave up. So.... next thing you know it is now sitting in my garage. I have a set of MT valve covers for it and have been digging up some Rochester 2g's.

Yesterday when I arrived home from work I found my new Coker WW's for up front that I had ordered 3 days prior.

My next big thing is looking for some local help with finishing the body panels and then on to the frame......

8. Stone

Stone

lookin good.

9. Great start. FWIW, don't get too excited about channeling - leg room counts too!

10. Rickdef17

Rickdef17

Where did you score the parts? Looks good.

11. Hooligan36

Hooligan36

I have decided to build the frame and set the body on before I go through with the channel. I know she will be no comfort queen but she will get driven on a regular basis.

The parts have come from everywhere. The cowl I found over in Spokane WA, wheels, grille, and rear axle are from Craigslist. Some parts from Speedway and some parts from friends. I do alot of driving around to find abandoned vehicles also.

12. pitman

pitman

You might find a model A frame, to use as a guide, and go with something like 4x2x1/8 wall steel tubing. The t-buckets get away w/ 3x2x(?) but I think the extra stiffness is worth the extra inch of depth.

13. Tin Can

Tin Can

Looks like a cool project Keep us up to speed on progress

14. Hooligan36

Hooligan36

not alot of progress but its something. Front wheels and front axle back from powder coat... 20% clear. New Coker shoes, and a pic of the brand new SB 350. I bought some MT valve covers and used some 400 grit to start the cleaning, like the look, so left it at that.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Hooligan36

Hooligan36

Now I need some advice. I bought some 2"x4"x1/8" box tube to start the frame. Im running a suicide front so I wont be using frame horns.

2 questions -

1. Im going to pie cut the front of the rails to bring them down to a smaller size tube. My plans were to run a piece of round DOM up front for my leaf mount to mount to. What size tubing do I want to run so I know how much to pie cut the frame?

2. Where do I want to start the pie? I have seen alot of pics where it starts right at the cowl.....

16. Hooligan36

Hooligan36

yes I did.... I know many others that have had no problems but after reading that I now have some doubts.

17. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

Great start! keep us posted on your progress.

18. #1- 3" od is common.
    #2- Start the taper where ever you want. If it looks good, it is good.

19. Hooligan36

Hooligan36

Very slow progress.... but for those who dont allready know, Les Schwab sends wheels out to powder coat. Full sand blast and powder $25.00 each

[​IMG]

20. Dr.Kerry

Dr.Kerry

Lookin' good so far, keep it up!!!