Register now to get rid of these ads!

Nothing against Speedway, BUT!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by paintcan54, Jan 7, 2011.

1. paintcan54

paintcan54

Nothing against Speedway Motors, but after my last two parts orders I got from them seems to me a lot more stuff coming from China. I need to buy front and read springs for my T-Bucket. Called and customer service couldn't tell if they are made in the USA, or by who!! I know that Speedway bought out Mr. Roadster a few years back. So my question is does anybody know of a place other then Speedway for T-Bucket springs, I've googled and no luck. Thanks for any info.

2. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I use Speedway all the time wiyh good luck but if you want american axles, go to Chassis Engineering......

3. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

but...but...we're in a GLOBAL economy, dontcha know? Support the ChiComs, they own all our money anyway.

On a strictly serious note, there are some companies around the US that still make springs, open up any hot rod magazine and check supplier ads. I've ordered a lot of 'stuff' from Speedway and have no complaints, but then I don't always give a hoot where something's made as long as the supplier will back up their warranty.

dj

4. Jimv

Jimv

They also bought out Total Performance! Order them if there not USA send them back!Theres a guy in Mass that sells coil over cheap, everyone around here uses him.
    JimV

5. nummie

nummie

if you ask around there are usually places locally that make springs. There is a great place here in NM, called Motorheads garage.

6. 26 roadster

26 roadster

I have no probs with the service or parts, drove the 900 miles to their counter and wanted to kill the counter man?

7. 117harv

117harv

Been hashed to death.

8. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED

This is the only place if I was building a T to get parts

http://www.wintecfabrication.com/

No one knows more than Jimmy he was the heat & soul of TP when it was in CT.

9. paintcan54

paintcan54

Thanks NITROFC, I'll give them a call next week. All I need to do is replace the old ones on the bucket, they have been on the car from the first day it was put together in 1962, lost there arch and sag, the spring shop here told me it would cost about as much to have them rearched as new after market springs would cost, plus they are chromed which the shop said could come off when rearched.

10. Racewriter

Racewriter

Try this: Get Speedway's street rod catalog. Turn the pages and see how many items are in it. Then double that for their oval track catalog. Now imagine yourself as the salesperson, and see if you could remember where every friggin' part in each catalog is made.

11. -Brent-

-Brent-

Paintcan, compare prices of Alliance Vendors too... you're already an Alliance member. I try to most of my purchasing with them when needed. I've always had good experiences and saved cash too.

12. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Linblad Chassis

13. Buick59

Buick59
    from in a house

14. Gman0046

Gman0046

Speedway would be my last choice to buy parts from.

15. Since Speedy Bill says that he reads every survey returned, tell him that he should put a "Made in USA" logo by every part in his catalog that qualifies. Enough of those comments, and he might get the drift. It won't change anything, but you'll feel better.

16. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

Re-arching your springs is pretty easy, and fairly quick. Definitely quicker than waiting for UPS to bring you some.
    A 20 or 25 ton press is the easy quick tool to use.

17. Gman0046

Gman0046

Speedway in my estimation is the current day JC Whitney. Who needs ChiCom junk manufactured by child labor?

18. BulldawgMusclecars

BulldawgMusclecars

You might try Eaton Detroit Spring...they make springs for just about anything, based off the factory blueprints. They also do custom orders, based on your specs.

19. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

There parts are cheap and most of them are close .........but need to be modified ,But where are you gonna get original parts .I look at the price and then I make the quality ...Last peice I had to modify was the mr .roadster windsheild ..............

20. How about Posies Springs? They have the teflon buttons. I do not know if they make bucket "T" springs. There is another company that makes mono springs.

21. -Brent-

-Brent-

22. big bad john

big bad john

.......Also they have great service and tech support......best of all ...they have quality springs.......

23. SkumbagKustoms

SkumbagKustoms

Another vote for Wintec...I'm a little biased though. My mother dates the bozo that runs the joint. :)

24. RAY With

RAY With

I hate having to buy any thing foreign made but thats how it is now. Never had any problems at all with Speedys parts or service but if possible I always try to buy American first.

25. joee

joee

26. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

I really don't understand this bash the chinese thing, The Chinese can actually make very good stuff, They are copiers so will make what you ask for !!! Be it cheap or quality.
    The problem is with the people that order and send them the designs, they are requesting cheap because thats what they think we want !!!

27. porkchop4464

porkchop4464

Speedway makes so many parts that are just easier to buy. If I had a junkyard around the corner of my house, I would scavange through and pick off all that I needed; but todays pick and pulls have become over priced. I agree with the guy who explains that the bad Chinese parts result from requests from the Americans who out source the part and cheap-it-out because of customs, shipping and warehouse prices. They are more into ricers, not rods (pun not intended). It's a shame,however, that our nationalism and pride has turned into pointless slanders and not competive production. China is the next America. I am not happy about it; but facts are facts. Do you think the Brits were saying all of our products were awesome after the war?

Pork

28. bgaro

bgaro

if u dont like speedway, forget about so-cal speed shop they sell junks too,
    at least speedway has o k customer service. buy original junk if u can, local truck spring shops can help sometimes.

29. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Unfortunately a lot of people don't realise that even Speedway buy from traders, Its those people you should direct your anger at as they just want your money and don't care.

30. AAFD

AAFD
    from US of A

Got a Superbell dropped axle/wishbone complete front end from Speedway a month ago...the spring is stenciled "U.S.A."