Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Not Your Average Coupe Build: 37’ Chevy Unearthed

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by oneratfink57, Jan 31, 2017.

1. oneratfink57

oneratfink57
    from Wisconsin

Thanks Tfoch! I hope to get it on all four wheels again this weekend.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
    Bowtie Coupe, loudbang and TFoch like this.
  2. oneratfink57

oneratfink57
    from Wisconsin

Assembled the rear suspension with 2” lowering blocks. Had to cut down the u bolts a bit using tape as a guide and the Eastwood mini metal saw. Ground a taper on the ends rather than re thread it

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I plan to use the olds hub caps on the front, and skirts on the rear but wanted to mock them up

[​IMG]

Drilled and tapped holes for the stainless brake line hold downs

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pressed out the 1” long factory studs because I planned to install some moser 1 3/4” studs. I need them to utilize wheel spacers for the wheels to clear the disc brakes. But I ordered the wrong knurl, so I have to wait until next week to put the axles and disc brakes back together.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Installed the trans cross member

[​IMG]

Using the factory bump stop brackets, with a stud mount style stop. Ground the nut and stud flush, tack welded the nut to the bracket and used loctite so it stays put

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
  3. oneratfink57

oneratfink57
    from Wisconsin

So I wasn’t crazy...

The axle flanges had different hole sizes, one axle with the .480” knurl (like I originally ordered), and the other axle was a .577”knurl. Let that be a lesson to you all! Lol

So due to a mix of cheapness and impatience, the drive axle will have moser studs, and the neutral axle will have Dorman!

IMG_7842.JPG

IMG_7840.JPG

IMG_7841.JPG

4. oneratfink57

oneratfink57
    from Wisconsin

Snuck out into the garage and put the rear disc brakes together.

Have an issue with the drivers side not wanting to spin freely. The rotor is pressed up tight against the outer pad, as you can see by the line in the first picture

Next time I’m out there I’m going to check to see if the rotor sits flush against the axle, and if the axle is fully engaged into the housing. Hoping it’s a quick and easy adjustment.

IMG_7849.JPG

IMG_7848.JPG

IMG_7850.JPG

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
  5. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

You may have to lubricate the 2 bolts and "O" rings that mount the self centering calipers.......................... than hit it with a rubber mallet!

Bowtie Coupe and loudbang like this.
  6. oneratfink57

oneratfink57
    from Wisconsin

Thanks I’ll give it a shot, or two!

loudbang likes this.
  7. Jacksmith

Jacksmith
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Aridzona

Hang on a sec... let me... dig around in my pocket... ah, here we go; I've got 2 cents to through in:
    You may already know this... but in case you don't here's a couple "help-fulls" that I wish I had when I did mine.
    If you use a Tri-Five diff, know that the '55 & '56 are the same. The '57 is different, in that the bearings and seals are bigger. (I found out the hard way) The axles and 3rd members, however, are interchangeable.
    The other thing is be sure to use what seems like "too much" silicone grease between the urethane and the metal parts on those bushings. I've got a set of those squeaky bastards in my coupe that I apparently didn't use enough of that goop on... just sayin'...

8. oneratfink57

oneratfink57
    from Wisconsin

Thanks for the info on the bushings! I’ll quadruple the assemble lube I was going to use lol.

I did know the 55/56 chev to 57 chev rear differences. I couldn’t justify spending over $100 on a tri fives axle shaft so once swap meets kick up again, I’ll keep my eyes open for a spare set. I just figured I’d throw the 55/56 chev diff in the car for now. Drive shafts and brakes will interchange.

honestly at first glance it looks like the 55/56 axle shaft could interchange if I changed the retainers and bearings. But don’t quote me on that yet

9. Jacksmith

Jacksmith
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Aridzona

You are correct, sir.

10. oneratfink57

oneratfink57
    from Wisconsin

Set the pinion angle and welded the perches on the 56 Chevy rear end this time. I hope I don’t have to weld anymore perches for this car lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pressed out the new studs from the 57 rear and into the 55/56

[​IMG]

Now here comes some hokey pokey! I saw there was a difference between 67-69 camaro drum brake spindles (what I have) and disc brake spindles (what I need).

I messed around the internet for a while and found an article outlining the only difference is the boss where the caliper bracket/ drum brake stud bolts to. Apparently the drum brake boss is .610” taller than it needs to be for the disc brake caliper bracket. So I broke out the scribe and layout fluid, marked the line and gave it a go with the hack saw. With jnitial dry fit of the caliper brackets it looked like it fits up nice.

May have saved myself $150, but I’m sure it will catch up with me later!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
  11. Jacksmith

Jacksmith
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Aridzona

That's Hot Roddin'!

12. impala4speed

impala4speed

Great looking welds.

13. Jacksmith

Jacksmith
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Aridzona

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  14. ..if you're going to front discs, you may want to check to see if they set the wheels out further,....factory front discs are wider tread width than drum brakes...you may run into fender clearance issues....got any pics of the set-up you are using?...how do the calipers mount up?

15. oneratfink57

oneratfink57
    from Wisconsin

Hey Rusty1 I don’t have picture of the physical kit, but this is the picture off speedways website. It’s the factory 64-74 GM kit. The rotors haven’t come in yet, so I haven’t been able to measure the wheel mounting surface offset compared to the drum hub.

[​IMG]

16. oneratfink57

oneratfink57
    from Wisconsin

Hey JackSmith, I’m following. I meant that the axle shaft is the same (diameter and length) so I could have put 57 bearing on the 56 axle to put it in the 57 housing.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
  17. Jacksmith

Jacksmith
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Aridzona

Ah... 10-4. I guess I read that wrong... The wife's started with Christmas decorations & I had a few spiked egg nogs! I'm diggin' your build, courage, skill and drive to resurrect what most folks would never have even considered taking on. That's a bitchin' lookin' ride!
    B.T.W., if you're taking votes, I like the LaSalle grille. They look crazy cool with low headlights!

18. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Great build!! Lippy

loudbang and oneratfink57 like this.
  19. oneratfink57

oneratfink57
    from Wisconsin

Thanks for the kind words! Duly noted on the Lasalle grille. I’m anxious for the day I can start customizing, despite this being a custom build lol. Finishing the chop, dropping headlights, lasalle grille, flipping hood sides etc.

20. Longstroke

Longstroke

I really admire your obvious dedication to doing an amazing job on that sweet 37 of yours. You sir have some incredible talent and drive. Have enjoyed this build thread and will continue to appreciate all your efforts. Continued good luck with your build and cheers.

21. oneratfink57

oneratfink57
    from Wisconsin

22. oneratfink57

oneratfink57
    from Wisconsin

New bearings are still on the way, but I was getting anxious sitting around the house. Snuck out to the garage after supper.

Had to get creative on how to get the ol’ harbor freight shop press to press off the bearings.

The frame isn’t tall enough to press the bearings off conventionally, even on the 20 ton, so I used the threaded extensions from the bearing splitter set to suspend it under the cross bar, then bolted them to some old angle iron sections

IMG_8105.JPG

IMG_8107.JPG

IMG_8110.JPG

Then I painted up the springs and spindles so I can assemble the front suspension sometime soon

IMG_8108.JPG

IMG_8109.JPG

AHotRod, chryslerfan55, brEad and 2 others like this.
  23. oneratfink57

oneratfink57
    from Wisconsin

Got a status update from the machine shop today.

Block:
    Sounds like the 283 will be a 292! Had to bore .060 over to compensate for how far I had to take the ridge reamer.

Crankshaft:
    There was a very fine ridge on the rod journals that was removed via polishing so that checked out ok.

Heads:
    One head was cracked, but he had another power pack head available for a good price and it mag’d out ok.

Work remaining:
    Going with new valve guides and hardened valve seats because I intend to put some miles on this motor.

Should be getting all my parts back sometime after Christmas.

24. oneratfink57

oneratfink57
    from Wisconsin

Finally got my axle bearings! Felt like it took forever to get here.

Pressed those suckers on, installed the axles, and assembled the rear disc brakes!

I’m not sure what I would have done if the drivers side axle was still too long... lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2021
    TFoch, Shadow Creek, loudbang and 4 others like this.
  25. oneratfink57

oneratfink57
    from Wisconsin

Post holiday schenanigans

Dropped the body on the frame to locate the underfloor brake pedal assembly

IMG_8252.JPG

Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
  26. oneratfink57

oneratfink57
    from Wisconsin

Had to mock up the sheet metal for a motivational picture.

Zip ties and carefully placed props may have been used lol

IMG_8258.JPG

27. Yes, thank goodness for zip ties and vise grips.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
    loudbang and oneratfink57 like this.
  28. I did that a few times on my 33. Keeps you moving forward!

29. oneratfink57

oneratfink57
    from Wisconsin