Register now to get rid of these ads!

Not to bright

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by padorey, May 11, 2011.

1. padorey

padorey

I have 56 Packard tail/stop/turn lights on my '53 Buick. Severial people have tolf me that its hard to see the during the day. (I won,t change the lights) What else will solve the problem. I am usinf L.E. D. bulbs.

Attached Files:

2. Check for a bad ground. The simple things are what trip you up.

3. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

LED bulbs might not be the best. Usually the LED bulbs that replace regular bulbs are just pinpoints. The reflector was designed by the factory for a bulb with a large 'glow'. Hence, LED retrofits by using LED replacement bulbs often fail. Suggest using a plain old bulb like the car came with. Clean the inside of the lens and paint the metal reflector with glossy white. You'll be fine.

4. I agree as to the regular 1157's instead of the LED's--as to the ground issue, don't forget to make sure not only that the taillight housing is grounded well to the body but also make sure the car body is well grounded to the engine block, as in a good ground strap running from the firewall to the engine block.

5. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

There are some "bright bulbs" sold by Ron Francis that are supposed to be more brighter than regular 1157's, but I've heard that they also get very hot.

R-

6. chaddilac

chaddilac

Paint the inside silver for better reflection behind the lens and use a normal bulb!!

7. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Use shiny duct tape (see pics) and a 2057 bulb much brighter.Gary:)

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 11, 2011
  8. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Clean the inside of the lenses thoroughly and the inside of the taillamp housing.
    Paint the inside of the housing with gloss white paint being careful to mask off the sockets.
    Use 2057 bulbs which are much brighter on the brake light filament than the 1157 bulbs.
    Of course, checking all ground wires and ground points is the first step to better lighting.

I've been telling folks this for well over 30 years now and there are a whale of a lot of brighter taillamps in the backends of hotrods than there were before.
    It doesn't hurt a bit to periodically take out and clean your taillamp lenses especially those of dark ruby glass prior to 1951 or so. The refractor patterns in the inside of the lenses can get pretty dirty even though you're sure they don't.

Last edited: May 13, 2011
  9. padorey

padorey

Thanks guys. I'll be under the car in the early
    am before it gets to hot
    I'll keep you posted
    thanks

10. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

You could also drill a hole and put a second bulb in the housing.

11. I've used these, but not to good effect.
    You see, the standard bulb is 7/21 watt, or, put another way, the brake is 3 times the wattage of the taillamp.

'Bright" bulbs are 21/50 watt, or, the brake is twice the taillamp.

In practice, many told me that the brake was hard to distinguish from the taillamp.

And, for that, I changed back.

Cosmo

12. ronk16

ronk16

use led that are 360 deg wrapped in diodes, these worked for me, 30 little diodes hit any reflector in ant style taillight....

13. tex34ford

tex34ford

I just went through this with my '39 tail lights. I used a halogen H-3 bulb conversion from Julianos which are much brighter than the 1157 style bulb. But, I also repainted the inside of the tail light housing from silver to WHITE. What a difference this made, as the '39 lens/light assembly has to be one of the hardest to see at night.

14. 5window

5window

I've used, and liked, the Ron Francis Brite Bulbs. I've got some in a late model plastic housing/plastic lens taillight unit and had no problems with over-heating. I think there is a significant difference between the brightness the brake vs tail light-plus I run a very not-yet-traditional 3rd brake light.

We don't need to digress, as we usually do, as to the merits or demerits of a third light-I merely point out that this helps differentiate whether I am stopping or turning. The RF bulbs have worked well for me.

15. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

I tested this on a trailer light set: painting the inside WHITE is better than SILVER. Reflects best by far.

16. padorey

padorey

I went back to the orginal 1157 and what differance, toon thr good. thanks guys

17. 5window

5window

"toon thr good" WHATZIT?

18. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Huh?

19. Loose the LEds and either get a factory type of bulb or a halogen replacement bulb for the factory type bulb.

Someone mentioned that the reflector is not going to work well with the LEDs and they are absolutely correct.

20. THE BRONSON

THE BRONSON

This worked for me, buddy told me he couldnt see my brakes in daylight. Painted the backing plate silver and now visible as can be.

21. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

^^^^^ Thats the winning ticket hands down. And a good ground if thats part of the issue as well.

22. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

White is the reflection of all light, black is the absorption of all light.
    Silver is the relection of some light.

23. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

The ink is Black
    The page is White
    Together we learn
    To read and write

24. 2-TONED

2-TONED

this works great! i looked inside some 39 taillights to see why they were so bright compared to the 3 other cars with 39 tails i was following down the road to a show. lots of wrinkles in the tape also. man they were much brighter.