Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects NOT THE TYPICAL '30 ROADSTER BUILD

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by roll of the dices, Jan 1, 2019.

1. Not much to report as far as progress but got me these cool pointed frog mounts scoops.
    Took them to the powder coater to get the inside to match the burgundy on the wheels

thumbnail_IMG_8604.jpg thumbnail_IMG_8605.jpg thumbnail_IMG_8606.jpg

oliver westlund, brEad, OFT and 2 others like this.
  2. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

3. Thank you!

4. Got the scoops back from powder coating and I think they are right on the money
    thumbnail_IMG_8629.jpg

I wanted to match them to the wheels and they did a good job with them
    thumbnail_IMG_8628.jpg

The stainless steel mesh is a nice touch...too bad they are going to be facing to the back and won't get to see much of them.
    thumbnail_IMG_8630.jpg

The Ensign dash insert was next. I bought this one from a HAMB member with an original brushed nickel insert, which I like a lot, since I have seen many of these with such finish.
    Unfortunately, some areas were showing more wear and tear that I liked, the brass was starting to show through, so I decided to have it refinish to give it a more fresh look.

IMG_3983.jpg IMG_3984.jpg IMG_3986.jpg

Astro plating did a nice job matching the original finish...
    thumbnail_IMG_8631.jpg

Time for the gauges...super excited until I hit a road block.....
    thumbnail_IMG_8632.jpg
    Damn! The speedo is 3-1/8" and the hole is 3-3/8". It falls right through the hole.
    Autometer doesn't make a 3-3/8" mechanical version of this and I don't want to use their electrical version of it.
    I think I found someone that can cut a ring/adapter for it....more to come on that later

I was able to finish most to the electrical going to gauges....One step closer!
    thumbnail_IMG_8641.jpg

5. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

Looking good! That dash panel looks lovely, & scoop colour looks great!

6. Nice work, really like the matched scoops. It is always about the details and you are spot on.

7. I was able to resolve the gauge issue relatively easy.
    In eBay I found a bezel, not sure what for, that had the correct outside diameter but only a 3" ID. It had a nice profile and was already polished aluminum. Paid $8 with free shipping

bezel.jpg

Tried a Dremel tool to increase the ID but didn't worked well. I used a drum sander and after a couple of hours, I had the correct Inside diameter.

thumbnail_IMG_8649.jpg thumbnail_IMG_8647.jpg thumbnail_IMG_8648.jpg

Very pleased with the way if fits the gauge :)

thumbnail_IMG_8650.jpg

Blends nicely with the rest of the insert and gauges

thumbnail_IMG_8651.jpg thumbnail_IMG_8652.jpg

Finally the gauges are installed and wired

thumbnail_IMG_8653.jpg

8. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

wow ! that is detail... going to hate to see you finish the thing...

9. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good! :D

10. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh man that wiring is definetly a standard I'd like to get to one day. Well done!

11. Thank you! Good thing is the journey is still far from finished.

Stogy and OFT like this.
  12. Thank you! I sit and look at it and can't believe I got it done. Testing it and making sure it works as it should will be the next big milestone.

13. Luck is always on my side :)

Stogy and Dick Stevens like this.
  14. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Man... So close, but so...
    This has been an adventure in reading, a reminiscence of when I had my shop, and built my steel '27 Highboy roadster on gennie Deuce rails. Girl friend and I worked on borrowed time, it seemed...between harrowing invasions of mostly ungrateful customers that wanted everything, but were argumentive about labor prices.
    Worst scene was my frame jig: More than 6 times having to remove my frame at different stages to accommodate a job that "just HAD to be done with haste"!
    Now wife that was the girl friend and I are working on my steel '27 T Touring, on top of a pair of repro Deuce Factory rails. I am retired, she retires this year.
    We are anxious to work together full time again, (the roadster project was 40 years ago!) and NOT share frame jig time with 'the unwashed'...
    Thanks for the in-depth, totally enjoyable!

15. Dash went back on. Very happy to see it almost done.
    Just need the turn signals and tach connected once the steering column goes in.
    Really enjoy looking at that dash light
    thumbnail_IMG_8698.jpg

The electrical is also almost done, just waiting to install the fuel tank top to secure the harness to it.
    I have really enjoy doing the electrical part of this project. Hopefully, everything works as planned
    thumbnail_IMG_8699.jpg

Starting to color sand that fuel tank top...1st round of cutting compound, not bad!
    thumbnail_IMG_8700.jpg

16. Lots of things going on and little time to work on the roadster.
    Work is crazy busy and I had to put down our dog of 16 years :-( sad times for all of us. Good thing is he lived a goooood life! He was a super smart dog. He will be missed.

Taking advantage of the long weekend and making it a point to get some work done.
    I sewed the piping to go around the gas tank top. I opted not to buy the one the vendors sell.
    Little research I did showed that the piping was painted same body color when the body was being put together...didn't like that idea...
    I bought a marine vinyl relatively close to the paint color. Pretty happy with the match.
    The original size was 1/8" but I didn't really like it, so instead of 1/8" I decided to go with 3/16"...a like how it defines the tank better

thumbnail_IMG_8772.jpg

A little bit of clothespin action to make sure every fits before glueing in place
    thumbnail_IMG_8771.jpg

Left the piping plenty long so I could pull it from the inside when installing the top. I can trim the excess after I install it.
    thumbnail_IMG_8773.jpg

...and the cowl vent makes it home for the final time...
    the dust is a tell-tell of how long it is been since the last time I worked on this...
    thumbnail_IMG_8880.jpg

17. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Looks awesome and love the details

18. Sorry to hear about your dog. That has to be tough.

The car is looking good!! I give you a ton of credit for making that piece instead of just buying it. Kudos!!!

I always look forward to your updates and thanks for sharing them.

Brian B

Last edited: Jul 2, 2022
    brEad and Thor1 like this.
  19. Thank you!!

20. Thanks Brian!
    Your build is looking amazing too! Keep those updates coming.

So Cal Brian B likes this.
  21. HankAz

HankAz

Great build! I read the whole thing today, I couldn't put it down. I am sooo going to steal the pinstriping on the wheels idea. I've been trying to figure out how to do that. And I've had the tool for about 30 years.

oliver westlund and brEad like this.
  22. Glad to hear that! I still have mine and will be using it again soon as I will be doing a spare wheel.

23. Got some color sanding done today. Firewall and cowl.
    thumbnail_IMG_8881.jpg

She is going to be a beautiful driver someday
    thumbnail_IMG_8913.jpg

She is not perfect but a like looking at those reflections
    thumbnail_IMG_8914.jpg thumbnail_IMG_8915.jpg

My dad did a good job painting her. It has it's imperfections and issues but I wouldn't change it for anything.
    We had fun doing it together, it was the blind leading the blind but it came out nice.
    We'll soon be back at it together doing the interior work :)

24. Looking great!! You have produced a lifetime of memories with this project and that makes it even more special.

Kelly Burns likes this.
  25. Finished sewing the piping for the front of the tank.
    I decided to go with 1/8" to keep it from interfering with the height of the tank and just working as an anti-squeak felt underneath it.

thumbnail_IMG_8919.jpg

Decisions, decisions, decisions....
    Starting to think what color interior I want
    thumbnail_IMG_8951.jpg

I am leaning towards an orangey/tan color to match closer to the original color, or a deep red to match the wheel color and contrast the paint.
    thumbnail_IMG_8952.jpg

That orangey/tan/distressed, is winning me over. I think it contrasts really nice with the blue paint and it should look nice with the tan canvas top....but then again, that red, it looks good too!
    thumbnail_IMG_8953.jpg

Engine is next...

oliver westlund, Stogy, Thor1 and 5 others like this.
  26. 4psi

4psi

Very impressive build! Thank you for sharing.

update on hours and money invested?

27. Well done!! Looks 100% professional!!

Brian

28. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

Wow, this car is looking great! Thanks for bringing us along!

My Dad has done allot of work around our place, building/reno's & did a heap on my shed. So many memories & I can can look around & see his handywork everywhere. you'll do the same with this car, You are very fortunate to be able to share the journey with him!

oliver westlund, Thor1 and Never2low like this.
  29. So an update to hours and money spent...

In parts, selling, trading, buying those parts; I have spent $26,648.85
    1,043 total labor hours, since I started in late 2017. Using my previous $50/hr average, that is, $52,159 in labor
    ...So very glad my labor is free
    Materials/consumables such as primer, body filler, metal, others, $1,973.32

Adding everything up...$80,781.17. Without adding the labor, I am at $28,622.17

thumbnail_IMG_8988.jpg thumbnail_IMG_8987.jpg thumbnail_IMG_8986.jpg thumbnail_IMG_8985.jpg thumbnail_IMG_8984.jpg

30. Thank you Sir