Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects NOT THE TYPICAL '30 ROADSTER BUILD

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by roll of the dices, Jan 1, 2019.

1. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

FRIGHTENING IN MY CASE

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  2. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I about wore my fingers to a nub sanding my louvers!:D Looking good!

20191017_174331.jpg

3. Thank you for the advice. I've been thinking of doing so but wasn't sure of it. I am really tempted to do another coat of 2k and or add a sealer and guide coat it again.
    I know there are some minors issues with it, but fixing them exceeds my knowledge and not sure if that is going to take me down a rabbit hole....I have small areas that the guide coat tells me are fine, sand of nice and smooth, but once I turn my hand over them, they don't feel right.

Would you do more 2k or add a 2k sealer to guide coat?

4. For sure. I haven't posted the numbers in a while for a reason :)
    Will post an update in a few days after arrival of some more parts.

5. Love that paint job!!!
    I can relate to to that....those louvers are by far the most difficult part of the sanding process.
    So much relief when I am done with the deck lid, just to start with the front hood :)

My 4 year old comes in and out of the garage and says, daddy you are in the same exact spot from an hour ago! Little does she knows, I am 2 louvers down. :)

6. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

i used scotchbrite pad and wet/dry on my hood sides.but they were easy long and only 3 or 4 either side.rubbed the louvres down with mini files before i started.still hurt my fingers

Stogy, loudbang and GordonC like this.
  7. Weedburner 40

Weedburner 40

Yes, I would give it another coat of 2k primer. I would concentrate on the areas that you need to work on and not add extra build up in the areas that you don't need it. Use a rag between your hand and the sanded primer when you are checking it. Sometimes your hand picks up the sand lines and gives you a false feeling. Shoot the 2k and put a guide coat on. Trust the guide coat more than you hand. If you are getting close, use a finer grit sand paper to to do your sanding. When sanding, try going in four different directions, crisscrossing. This will help to keep you from missing spots. Good luck, you are doing a great job.

8. Thank you for the tips.
    I will do another coat, I think it will benefit from it.
    Right now is at 600 grit and another coat might help me get it to 800 grit easier.

oliver westlund, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  9. A trip through memory lane...

Doors looked like crap...way beyond my skills to straighten them out
    I was so frustrated using a stud welder...I was way over my head!
    I was facing a lot of body filler...
    thumbnail_IMG_3454.jpg

Adding new skins was an easier way to fix them
    Lots of learning...I now know how to fold and edge.
    thumbnail_IMG_3461.jpg

Gave me a good opportunity to prime the inside and add some sound deadener
    thumbnail_IMG_3459.jpg thumbnail_IMG_3460.jpg

Today, 3 years later, they are baby butt smooth and getting closer to paint. Can't wait to see them in color.
    thumbnail_IMG_7624.jpg thumbnail_IMG_7627.jpg

It sure has been a fun journey. Maybe 2 more years and she will be on the road...

10. Starting to shoot my last round of 2k.
    Parts are looking so good....at least ,to my beginner's eye.
    All the smaller parts are done. Friday or Saturday I will do the body and larger parts
    I will be sanding everything too 800 grit...ance then color :)

thumbnail_IMG_7690.jpg thumbnail_IMG_7691.jpg

11. You’re making great progress and showing real restraint not rushing it to paint. Excellent work!

12. Thank you! Doing my best to do it the best that I can.

Stogy, dana barlow, Outback and 2 others like this.
  13. Down to the last of the 2k and sand blocking...800 grit! Panels are nice and smooth!
    Time is running out on the clock, so I might not get to paint it this year as weather is changing quickly. Nights and mornings are now too cool for clear to dry properly.
    Fingers crossed next couple of weeks weather warms up again.

thumbnail_IMG_7718.jpg

14. River City

River City

I'm loving this project. Thanks for taking the time to keep the updates going!

15. Congratulations!!! Your documentation is EXCELLENT!! Over 800 posts!! And your log book of expenses is out of sight! I'm guessing you are very technical given your penmanship. Engineer by trade? Maybe architect?

Hopefully you have also devised some way to keep all this data and pictures and your writeups permanent somewhere other than this website. I am not criticizing the hamb by any means. However none of us know what the future holds. I only say that because of my own experience with ancestry website that I thought was going to be around forever. Initially I had posted over 2,000 individuals in my line to the genealogy.com website and then ancestry.com bought them out in one of my two webpages completely disappeared. I had about a year of work into it. Then recently all of the pictures of the remaining website were deleted.

With that experience I decided that to document the building of The Judge, it made more sense to post to a generic photos only website (smugmug.com) that may have less chance of disappearing, but who knows....???. In addition all of the pictures and the narration of the work is saved on two extra thumb drives and also off-site back up. My website is not necessarily chronological but separated into galleries that are categorized by the subject, making it very easy to find specific areas of interest... i.e, "the doors", "rebuilding the Jag rear end", "hood hinges retrofit", etc.

Perhaps you might take screenshots of your posts and save them somewhere else and/or post them to your own website?!?!

I guess the reason for doing all that was because I fully understand that I won't live forever and whoever might own the car in the future is going to have a few questions here and there about such things as "how or why in the hell did he do that?"

Just thinkin' out loud.....

Stogy likes this.
  16. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Man before pictures are the best thing ever when your sitting there wondering if your even doing anything.

I look back at mine still and think man that looks like a crumpled paper sack what were you thinking?

gettin close man :)

17. Thank you!

Stogy, Outback and loudbang like this.

18. Thank you. I am glad you are enjoy it. Glad and humble to hear that.

You hit the nail on the head! Architecture is my background, hence, the quick hand diagrams and notes.
    I am only doing the write up here in the HAMB. I am keeping records of all my pictures, notes, footnotes. elsewhere but as far as online...the HAMB is it. Hopefully, it stays here for a long. time.
    I hear you, it is a bummer when you get to the right thread after a long search and all pictures are gone! God knows I am more of a visual person, so those pictures do help a lot.
    Once I complete the build, I will probably try to print all pages and keep them safe. I would like to keep all the comments too.
    I would like for my daughters to look back one day, once they get old enough and I am gone, and for them to realize how much work it went into it. I also want them to see the big help grandpa was in the process of it. When there is a will there is a way...

I hope the build inspires those that are on the fence, wondering if they should start a project like this and if they do or don't have the knowledge or skills to do it...I consider myself to have started from zero, somewhat clueless, and still going strong. By no means I am good at it, but I can now speak with, at least, some experience under my belt.

I will be updating my expenses in a few days...stay tuned!

19. For sure. The before picture help me reset the clock. Sometime I think I am stuck, little to no progress then I pull those before shots and I get happy to see the progress... A shot of energy to keep going.

20. The last of the 2k...Yay!
    Just touching up some bare spots. and adding primer to my freshly rebuild hinges.
    thumbnail_IMG_7746.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_7731.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_7732.jpg

Body is ready. Sanded to 800 grit
    Panels looking good!!!
    thumbnail_IMG_7733.jpg thumbnail_IMG_7734.jpg thumbnail_IMG_7735.jpg

Everything needs a deep cleaning, including the entire garage, and then I can spray some base coat, if weather warms up, that is.

oliver westlund, Stogy, brEad and 4 others like this.
  21. Weedburner 40

Weedburner 40

I can't wait to see this thing done! You are doing a super job and you should be extremely proud of what you have accomplished. This is going to be a beautiful roadster.

22. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

looking great...
    your tin just kills me,
    we both live near the salt water but our steel seams to takes a beating... DSCN7845.JPG

23. Thank you! I am looking forward to adding some color to it.

Stogy, loudbang and Outback like this.
  24. Yes, we are spoiled here in CA. I wouldn't know where to start with that.
    I've seen how you piece, patch ,and repair and you do some very creative work.

Stogy, loudbang and Outback like this.
  25. Hmmm...Laying basecoat is not the same as primer.
    We did a few pieces today to get a feeling for it...and it takes some practice
    My dad is still helping me with the painting. His sight is not too good but neither is mine :) which doesn't help. but this basecoat thing is hard...Definitely, not as easy as TV makes it seem
    Seems like we always end up with a spot that does get fully sprayed....tuff corners, inside curves, bottom of a piece...those damn louvers :) damn it!
    The sun is too bright so I don't see the missing areas until I get them inside the garage.

Love the way it is coming out!!! We will have to move slower and go at it on a few rounds until I get everything cover

thumbnail_IMG_7747.jpg thumbnail_IMG_7748.jpg thumbnail_IMG_7749.jpg thumbnail_IMG_7750.jpg

26. Hopefully, fingers crossed, the last time I see her in primer
    A lot of work to get here...
    Never imagined how time consuming was to do bodywork. Didn't get to hate the task but learned a whole different level of respect for it and those that know what they are doing and do it for a living.

thumbnail_IMG_7754.jpg thumbnail_IMG_7755.jpg thumbnail_IMG_7756.jpg

And now she is blue...
    thumbnail_IMG_7757.jpg thumbnail_IMG_7759.jpg thumbnail_IMG_7760.jpg

As weather permits, the plan is to scuff the base coat, shoot a medium last coat of base, let it flash, and apply 2 coats of clear coat.

oliver westlund, Stogy, brEad and 5 others like this.
  27. Weedburner 40

Weedburner 40

Sounds like a good plan. Even in the satin basecoat, it shows how straight you got it. Lookin good!:D

Stogy, dana barlow and loudbang like this.
  28. Great work on that body!

Stogy, dana barlow and loudbang like this.
  29. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

Nice and straight. Now you are one of the few people who realize what labor it takes to get one straight. Congratulations Frank

Stogy, loudbang and dana barlow like this.
  30. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Yup,it takes a lot work too get a nice finish. I love gloss always.
    They make a lot of high $ paints,that do work very well. I never used them on my own ,being a low $ hot rodder nut from the 50s n 60s,I learned the hard work is good< that I had free time for was what made the biggest def. in out come. I used gloss black enamel (Rust-Oleum)with a few drops of enamel hardner,an let dry 3 weeks before buffing< yes it's cheep paint,but I've used the same each time I repainted my old rod. Only point is,yes the good long work on prep really is wroth it!!
    Here's a tip; No matter how high $$$$$$ you pay for paint in the can ,if you don't do the smooth out before=hard work !>,it not going look as good as my rod.. MarksPicof My rod.jpg

Last edited: Jun 20, 2023