Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects NOT THE TYPICAL '30 ROADSTER BUILD

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by roll of the dices, Jan 1, 2019.

1. I'm almost more impressed with the quality of this build thread....I mean the car is great too....but this build thread is a thing of beauty!

All joking aside...your attention to detail is amazing on both fronts. Thanks for letting us follow along! The car is gonna be awesome! Looking forward to more progress.

2. I am gonna to give that a try in a couple of other parts I have. Have you done any aluminum with it?

3. Thank you! That means a lot.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  4. 33Doll

33Doll

Yes! Really likes aluminum.
    The Demo at the fair years ago was using it to hand polish aluminum Pop cans, in like 20 seconds!
    It cleans up mags awesome also.
    I used it on my stainless 33’ greyhound which was trashed, with mini die grinder buffing cones.

It really is magical.

chryslerfan55, loudbang and Jrs50 like this.
  5. 33Doll

33Doll

IMG_1061.JPG

I lied! On the Dog! I cut it first,
    Then hand finished it with flitz!
    But you can low speed buff with it.
    All I know is it’s Magical!

chryslerfan55, loudbang and Jrs50 like this.
  6. 33Doll

33Doll

IMG_1064.JPG IMG_1063.JPG IMG_1062.JPG

7. chryslerfan55, loudbang and Jrs50 like this.
  8. ^^^^^^^^^Yes Flitz is the shit!!
    I use it with Dremel tool and buffing pads. I have taken old pitted horn rings and buffed them back to snuff with Flitz.

loudbang and 33Doll like this.
  9. loudbang

loudbang

Check with @racer-x it is one of his sponsors and I'm pretty sure he has offered some discounts on flitz for our members.

chryslerfan55, brady1929 and 33Doll like this.
  10. Good to hear that. Small pieces like that is what I have on mind.

11. Thank you. Good info. Rather get it from another member than Amazon

12. So I pulled the trigger....The polished driveshaft created a chain reaction.
    The original plan was to have the quick change center either powder coated or painted to match the rest of the parts, reason for which I bought QC with a natural finish.
    Damn polished driveshaft....it looks so nice! I now must have the QC's center polished too.

Quick change got dropped off at Speedway Engineering this afternoon, so they can completely take it apart and I can have the center polished. I had the opportunity to meet Ken, very nice fellow. They will be reassembling once it is all done...peace of mind!
    I will stick to the original plan with the bells/tubes and will paint those Washington Blue.

Oh, but that's not it.....since I didn't really like the look of the 9" drums, I opted to go with Boling Brother's Lincoln style rear backing plates to match the fronts....rear 9" drums fully loaded soon up for sale!
    thumbnail_IMG_6982.jpg thumbnail_IMG_6983.jpg

I will now have matching Lincoln style backing plates in the front and rear.
    That is still not the end just the light at the end of the tunnel....I will be ordering new drums from Boling Brothers too.
    I just have to have those fin Buick style drums, not that the Lincolns on the front were bad but I like the Buicks much better and the new backing plates will allow me to have fins in all 4 corners....Front Lincoln drums soon up for sale!
    thumbnail_IMG_6981.jpg
    Funds/Budget is quickly adding up but I rather bite the bullet now and not when all is done and I stand back and I am unhappy because I didn't do it when I had the chance....

Hoping to make some progress in the frame tomorrow.....

13. X-mas in January....Boiling Brothers super fast shipping.
    Had the backing plates in less than 24 hrs...

thumbnail_IMG_6984.jpg

14. Picking up my parts from powder coating tomorrow....can't wait to see them! Pictures will follow.

In the meantime, I have been looking for a couple of very low price engine stands.
    Craigslist always delivers...found one for $15 and the other one for $10....One step closer to getting the frame mounted. I sure hope they can take on the weight.

thumbnail_IMG_6989.jpg

15. Fear and excitement! That is what it feels like.
    It rolls and IT turns easily and I can spin the frame....but I don't trust my engineering skills, just yet, so I am leaving the chain hoist still attach to it, at least for the night. :)
    It should help when painting.

thumbnail_IMG_6992.jpg thumbnail_IMG_6994.jpg

Can't wait to open my powder coated goodies....time hasn't been on my side.
    Work has been pretty busy so it will have to wait until the weekend.

thumbnail_IMG_6993.jpg

16. SilverJimmy

SilverJimmy

If you are really concerned about it tipping over maybe slide about a 8’ long pipe into your center wheel section. With 3-4 feet sticking out on either side no way can it go turtle on ya!

brEad and loudbang like this.
  17. Dedsoto

Dedsoto
    from Australia
    1. Aussie HAMBers

We had a 53 buick chassis on a similar setup using two engine stands with no outrigger, worked a treat and wider and heavier than a 32.

loudbang likes this.
  18. Thank you for the advice. I just might do....better be safe than sorry.

loudbang likes this.
  19. That makes me feel better.

loudbang likes this.
  20. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

If you're thinking having a frame rail that sticks out past the casters on the stands could be an issue, remember that the other frame rail is sticking out just as far on the other side counterbalancing the load!

brEad and loudbang like this.
  21. Weedburner 40

Weedburner 40

I built a pair of stands like that without the typical angle on the head, specifically to do exactly what you have done. Had dozens of frame on it, no problems what so ever. Yours will work just fine.

loudbang and greaser like this.
  22. Had some time after work and got some work done on the frame today, finishing some of the welds for the brackets I added....and glad to report that I feel a lot more confident working around it.
    ...I guess it was just me worrying too much...

It sure makes life a lot easier and it is saving my back.

I took some time and unwrapped some of the powder coated pieces....couldn't wait anymore
    Very happy with the way it came out....enough bling bling but not too much. It really pops on direct sunlight.

It should contrast really nice against the Washington Blue.
    thumbnail_IMG_6998.jpg thumbnail_IMG_6999.jpg

23. Slowly but steady....making progress.
    Finally spending some time finishing up my welds for the body brackets....added a little bit of filler to clean them up a bit....Damn, my weld beads look more like bad corn rolls.

Hitting the frame with a DA to remove all the oxidation/surface rust and heat halos...getting her ready for epoxy primer :)
    thumbnail_IMG_7036.jpg thumbnail_IMG_7037.jpg
    BEFORE...Surprising how much oxidation it has without seeing any outdoor weather.

thumbnail_IMG_7039.jpg thumbnail_IMG_7040.jpg
    AFTER....looking much better.

Weather is suppose to be in the high 70's on Sunday. If so, the plan is to get it all in Epoxy primer along with the QC Bells.

Planning ahead....I realized I will be needing a leaf spring spreader for the rear spring. I put a wanted add but so far not hits.
    After reading all threads that I could find, I am going to build my own. I figured with reverse eyes, most that I could buy, would have to be modified anyways.

A trip to the metal supply store and +$20 later...Got me almost all that I needed, a 7/8" all-threaded rod and a couple of heavy wall round pipes. I am still in the hunt for a couple of thrust bearings, grade 8 nuts and washers.

I still need some finish dimensions to get me going...Anyone?

thumbnail_IMG_7042.jpg thumbnail_IMG_7043.jpg

24. 33Doll

33Doll

What I’ve done in the past I’m probably gonna do this time, is take all the leaves off and put the main Leaf on
    Then assemble it in place, with 2 big ‘C’ clamps
    Red-neck way! But quick, and works.
    I’m rebuilding the spring anyway

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

metalhead140, vtwhead and loudbang like this.
  25. I though about doing the same thing and sold on the idea but figured once I have the car all together I might need to lower it, a little bit more, and if need to remove leafs then it will be easier with a spring spreader.

I am staying tune to your build to see what you do with your rear spring...I like the idea of rounding the ends and putting the taper in.
    What are you going to use paint?

loudbang likes this.
  26. SilverJimmy

SilverJimmy

If you can’t find a thrust washer I’ve used a stack of flat washers that I’ve deburred on 180 grit sandpaper and then put wheel bearing grease between them. Works pretty good!

loudbang likes this.
  27. Great! Thank you for the tip.

33Doll and loudbang like this.
  28. I took the frame out with the whole intention of spraying the epoxy.
    I got it all nice and clean, ready to go, but the weather just didn't helped....72 degrees but the wind was strong enough that I could put up the tent. The metal never got above 60 degrees...maybe tomorrow.
    thumbnail_IMG_7050.jpg
    I sure like to see how far along it has come.
    thumbnail_IMG_7051.jpg

I opted to put up the tent inside the garage and fire up a small heater. Nice and toasty, the metal is reading a constant 78 degrees.
    Rear bells are one step closer.
    The rear end should be back from the polisher later this week and need to get the bells painted for assemble.
    thumbnail_IMG_7054.jpg

29. Weather was a little bit warmer today but still too windy to spray it outside. I opted to do it inside the garage and play it safe.
    My pops once again stepped up and help me lay the epoxy on it. I think he did great job!!!
    He had a blast too and a well deserve break from all this Covid worries. Both dad and mom have their appointment on 3/17 for their 1st shot...Huge weight will be lifted off my shoulders then.

thumbnail_IMG_7056.jpg
    Home-made rotisserie was a total home run. It made it so easy to move the frame around, paint it from almost every angle....I highly recommend others building one, if ever painting a frame...Money/Time well invested.

thumbnail_IMG_7057.jpg
    It came out very nice! I am loving it!
    Now drying at 74 degrees, inside the garage...waiting 24hrs to apply any last body filler and then I might hit it with 2K primer, while I am at it, and keep on going :)

thumbnail_IMG_7058.jpg
    This Southern Polyurethane epoxy looks beautiful. Hard to see in the picture, but it has a really nice sheen to it, lays and flows really nice, user friendly, and it almost feels like a topcoat....All from a $20 HF spray gun!
    Not sure how well it performs, yet, but another product I would highly recommend for a beginner like myself.

30. Today, my dad and I laid down the 2k High Build primer, 3 coats as recommended. I had never used a mixing cup before and now, well, I am just a pro :)

Once again SPI delivered. The original owner had bought 2 gallons of 2k with activator and it was part of the original sell.
    I've been keeping it safe to ensure it won't go bad so I could use it; hence, the use of the SPI epoxy too...I didn't want different products reacting with each other.

Before shooting the primer, I did some simple surgery to my HF purple gun. Took it apart and drilled the tip out with 1/16" drill bit first and then followed with a 5/64" drill bit...I now have a 2 mm tip!
    The gun did an awesome job with the epoxy primer with the original 1.4 tip and rather than spending money up front for a gun with a 2 mm tip, I though I'd give the modification a go.

Very satisfied to report that the home made 2 mm tip works like a champ. It lays the primer nice and smooth with nice thick coats.

Sanding it down is next and then will be laying down the first of the color. The plan is to only paint the rear end's bells, for now, so the QC can be reassemble. Once the weather warms up and Spring is here then I will continue with the frame and body....

thumbnail_IMG_7064.jpg thumbnail_IMG_7065.jpg