Register now to get rid of these ads!

Not so new - but really need some help with a '35 Ford...

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by TallahasseeCarNut, Sep 8, 2014.

1. TallahasseeCarNut

TallahasseeCarNut

Hello from Tallahassee! Been a member since '08 but had little to say... mostly been listening and learning from the crew on the H.A.M.B. I've been plugging away at a little 1930 Model A coupe for a while, and just as I got it halfway done, I find that I must start a new project... I've got to completely restore my father's 1935 Ford Fordor Deluxe before May, 2015!
    See, my dad found this car in his home town with a VIN number that indicated that it was "born" in the same month that he was. He bought it in '56, and it became part of him. As long far back as I can remember, he would drag the Ford out of the barn one Sunday every summer, fire her 100 hp flattie up and take the family to Church, then out for ice-cream after.
    When I got married [30 years ago] he bought new white-walls for her and polished the very thin original paint so that my new bride and I could drive her from the church to the reception. The old Ford barely made it seven miles to the reception hall, and that was the last time I heard her run as we put her on the trailer to get her back home.
    A few years later, dad decided it was time to restore the '35, and he started to tear her down for paint & upholstery. He found a correct-year 85 hp block and had it rebuilt.as original including the poured main-bearings. Then, cancer hit him and the '35 sat unfinished as he fought for his life.
    Dad was lucky and he beat back the cancer for five years. Unfortunately, his priorities changed and the old Ford sat, waiting to be re-assembled. Alzheimer's took Mom, Dad's cancer returned and took him too, and about a decade ago, we had to put the farm up for sale and his stuff up for auction. I dragged the old Ford and all the parts that I could find out of the garage so it wouldn't get sold, but I couldn't hardly look at it without crying, much less start working on re-assembling it. It sat in my father-in-laws barn for another nine years, until I had to bring it home because I need to complete the restoration.
    So, why the sudden need to complete it in just 6 months? My son is getting married next Spring, and he'd like to have the car in his wedding too! Already have the bodywork done and primed for a re-spray of the original color. Upholstery kit in the original fabrics ordered and on the way. Working on the brakes and suspension now, fuel tank next, motor and radiator then wires and trim.
    So now, I am finding that 1935 was a unique year for Ford. Apparently, one-year only 12 inch x 2 inch brake drums and shoes... Last year, and again, one year only hydrostatic fuel gauge & sender... Grill & hood, one year.... and so on...
    So, I could use some help finding '35 ford brake drums. Mine are pretty thin and VERY grooved/worn. I have 2 gas tanks - both leak - and no sender for the gauge. Missing half of the door handles - both inner and outer. Have 2/3's of a jack & tool kit - need the rest.

2. volare71

volare71

A year and a half later!
    I also have a '35 ( a Phaeton) and have learned a lot about the car and gauges. I have transplanted a 265 ci SBC and mated to the original( almost, it's a 39 Merc) transmission, and rear end. Still have the wire wheels.
    You're right about the gauges they changed (updated?) several times during the run. I don't know of anyone who can make the air column gas gauge work. the problem with it is that it needs to be constantly bathed in gasoline. So if the tank is drained it needs to be re-calibrated.
    I am updating the left hand gauge with new internals for fuel and oil pressure. Randy at RS Gauge Works in north Phoenix just off Bell Rd. is doing the work and is very knowledegable about pre-war Fords.

3. mike bowling

mike bowling

That car has quite a history, all intertwined with your family. Sorry to hear about your Mom and Dad, but happy that yet another generation has inspired you to get the car done.
    Good luck with it, and best wishes to the newlyweds.