Register now to get rid of these ads!

Not really OT: What can you make out of a '62 Ghia top?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Evil Wicked Mean & Nasty, Jul 10, 2008.

1. I know some of the old timers used small window bug tops to make bubble skirts for their customs. So I was wandering if there was anything on topic that can be done with a top from a '62 Karmann Ghia. I got the call to come get one that's not worth fixing. It's almost rusted in two from sitting outside with the windshield broke out for the last 30+ years. I plan to cut the tops of the rear quarters off for my own nefarious purposes, (insert evil laugh here, BwaHahahaha) and wandered if I should whack the top off while I was at it. Now before the post police get their panties in a knot; I know this isn't a VW forum and I'm not asking a VW question. My question is, is there an on topic use for a Karmann Ghia top; i. e., does it have the right crown to patch anything, can you make skirts for anything out of it etc...anything? Or should I just crush it like it is and forget it? Thanks

2. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

Your best bet is to get it & turn it into $$$$ for whatever your project currantly is.

Early VW Ghia's are gettin hard to find & parts are harder.

Part it out on the auction board & thru SAMBA, A VW only board, Its worth more to you to part it out than it is to cut it apart trying to "MAKE" custom parts from its body panels.

Turn it into $$$

3. Squablow

Squablow

Yeah, I'd part out the car, but assuming you do that and there's just junk sheetmetal left, I would save the roof just for the big generic sheetmetal to make patch panels. I use hoods and trunklids all the time when I have to patch up floorpans and make pieces for whatever. A big open flat section of sheet steel is always useful.

4. Sell it on Thesamba.com

Use the money to buy an english wheel,then make your own panels any shape you want.

5. metalshapes

metalshapes

I've seen artwork in a magazine a couple of years ago of a Volvo 1800 roof on a mid 50's Ford.

I thought that looked really cool.

The KG roof is probably smaller than that, but on the right car it might work.

6. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

The roof on the Ghia is interesting...lines are actually not dissimilar to a mid-30's coupe with heavy chop.
    Note the overall styling...it is a late 1940's transitional look, like '49 GM cars making their timid transition to the new fenderless look, or a '49 Merc. Fadeaway...

7. WildWilly68

WildWilly68

It would make a cool snow sled. Of course VW Bug trunk lids made the best ones when pulled behind a snowmobile...you can get two people on those :D

8. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

Perhaps the roof panel is just big enough to cover a 3window coupe insert, for a full steel roof conversion.

The Karman Ghia design was actually a "pirated" design from Virgel
    Exner. If you look at the "Big Ghia" designs ghia was doing for Chr-
    ysler, the X series and 300s, you'll see this design in a "full sized"
    118'' and 123'' wheelbase.

Swankey devils C.C.

"Meanwhile, back aboard The Tainted Pork"

9. Hey guy's thanks for all the helpful responses. I really thought I might get flamed big time for asking anything remotely related to vw's. My only experience with the old rear engine vw is the '68 Ghia I drove for about 2 weeks before the oil cooler rattled loose and it blew up going down the highway. Ten years later, I still have it sitting behind the garage and am considering putting the motor out of this '62 in it if it isn't stuck. Problem is I can't have this thing sitting around too long and need to decide how far to go when I cannabelize it.

10. When I part out a car, I go non-stop for a couple days, take it down to a bare shell, cut off any tin I want, and off it goes. I even saved a couple roof skins.

11. beaulieu

beaulieu
    from So Cal

cut the roof with the posts and front window cowl , maybe even the back cowl,

then if someone wants to transplant it they can use stock ghia glass,

its really not worth anything to the VW crowd unless you have another ghia that the kids jumped on so much its impossible to fix.....