Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Not quite a roof chop?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tav, Mar 21, 2020.

Tags:
  1. tav

tav

Hi all!
    I have a ‘29 Desoto model K body that’s in the the early stages of being rodded. The issue I’m faced with is - from a side profile it really needs a roof chop, however the windscreen and rear window are only 12” high. So if I was to chop it I would end up trying to see out of a mailbox slot which I don’t want. My plan is to chop the door window openings and add a strip in under them to move the door windows into line with the front and rear window. I just wanted to see if anyone has photos of this already done to see the results? My only concern is that it may look strange with the bigger gap between the body swage line and the bottom of the door glass?

2. Mopar Tony

Mopar Tony

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Is it this version of the coupe? IF so I would cut the back window out and chop the rest of the roof around it and then put the window back in. The front windshield looks taller than 12 inches but I could be wrong.

v8flat44 and Just Gary like this.
  3. Mopar Tony

Mopar Tony

If so something like this. This is just a quick edit from the paint deal on my computer for a idea. Not a good photoshop but you get what I'm talking about. Cut around the back window leaving it complete. Chop the car and then put the window back in with everything lined. up.
    [​IMG]
    upload_2020-3-21_6-48-47.png

Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
  4. oldolds

oldolds

Cut the rear window out in one piece. Chop the top. Put the rear window in. You can position it up or down as you want or resize it as needed. The whole point of chopping a top it to make the windshield shorter.

dan31 likes this.

5. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

This what you're thinkin?

1929-desoto-series-k-rumble-seat-coupe.jpg

6. dan31

dan31

^^^ I would do it like Oldolds says .Even most most A's look better with less out of the rear window. My 31' A has a 2 1/2" chop with 1" out of back window. The mail slot look will kill the car. The rear glass is already kinda small in proportion to the side and front glass but should look just about right with a modest chop. That would be a cool project.

Hnstray and tav like this.
  7. He probably has a sedan. Australia hardly got anything as a coupe way back then. Unless it,s a modern-day import.

tav likes this.
  8. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

9. DOCTOR SATAN

DOCTOR SATAN
    from okc

Yeah, hammer it....

Stogy likes this.
  10. BJR

BJR

I would remove the rear window as said, and take the space out above the windshield. Leaving the glass the same size as stock. Chop the doors and around the back and put the stock back window back in. Only take out as much as is above the windshield. Hope this makes sense. Brian

Hnstray and X-cpe like this.
  11. Mopar Tony

Mopar Tony

If a sedan I'd still do pretty much the same thing. Cut the back window out, chop the top and line back window up with side windows so everything looks good and is in proportion. Again a quick chop with paint from computer.
    upload_2020-3-21_7-51-44.png
    upload_2020-3-21_7-54-34.png

Stogy, Hnstray, tav and 1 other person like this.
  12. What works for the Ford doesnt always work for other makers as well.Some times less is more.Chop it 1-1/2 inch.Do the side window reduction 1 inch.Lower your seat mounting,or replace with lower seats.It will leave guys scratching their head...is it stock?You will have a sleeker looking car,but still be able to drive it.If your a tall guy chopped tops are neat to look at,but hell to drive.

Stogy, tav and RMR&C like this.
  13. catdad49

catdad49

Might be able to section the visor to provide more viewing area. It's already a 3 window, it can only get Cooler!

Stogy likes this.
  14. tav

tav

Thanks for the responses!
    I should have clarified- it’s a 4 door sedan that’s being turned into a 2 door sedan. I’ll have to take a picture of the pieced together body tomorrow when I’m back in the shop. With the body swage lines aligned from the doors to body, the side window openings are a lot lower than the bottoms of the windscreen and rear window hence the idea of adding in the strip under the window opening and reducing the side window height. This would bring all the windows into alignment top and bottom and give a better side profile (hopefully) without losing any windshield height. I’ve added a picture of the same model sedan to try point out the difference in windscreen to side window height.
    Thanks again for all the input!

Attached Files:

Stogy likes this.