Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Not Proud but I did it! Got a dumpster!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 0NE BAD 51 MERC, Aug 18, 2020.

1. pkhammer

pkhammer

I would like to think that 99.9% of guys on this forum knows the difference between junk and good, usable parts. They aren't just going to toss good stuff in a dumpster because they don't know what else to do with it. What I see happen too many times is the old hot rodder or restorer passes away and his heirs, be it the kids, the widow, or the grandkids, just want all that "junk" gone. That's when the good stuff goes to the dump. I've been lucky enough to find out about some of these collections and was able to save them. I have also bought entire collections of stuff from good people that finally came to the realization it was time to "let go". I guess as we age it's certainly something to consider and it's good to have a plan.
    Times are changing but I still see interest in good usable parts. I bought out a huge collection of model A Ford parts a few years ago. Good sheet metal sold quickly at swap meets, the smalls sold well on ebay and after a couple of years all that was left was the "junk" nobody wanted. Pitted wheels with bent spokes, worn out engine parts, busted manifolds, worn out axle shafts and brake drums, etc. That stuff IS junk and that's where the leftovers went.

2. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Bill I got a couple ruff ass project cars I could introduce you to! lol;););) Larry

3. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

I think if I brought home more ruff project cars I might be living in one

0NE BAD 51 MERC likes this.
  4. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

pkhammer. Exactly ! I am not saying someone out there could not have used this or that but most needed work or where donner mat, could someone have used the rear window surround and the door tops to a 37 ford sedan I dragged out of a field 20 years ago that a tree had fallen on down the center of the front roof area crushing it to the dash to chop a top? I held onto those parts all these years for just that purpose also took them to swap meets for years, nobody wanted them but after selling the rolling chassis, the flathead , trans, dash, fenders ,grill, hood and decklid and making ten times what I paid. I cannot cry to much . Most of the old girl went on to either live again or sit in someone else's collection. Every part I threw away has a story and I believe I did my best to see that as much of everyone of those old lost souls found life again. And I do believe all the old car's trucks and motorcycles I have laid hands on did have a soul because over their 25, 45 or even 85 year old existance they past through generations of owners that thought they where something. Most cars built in the last 30 plus years will never experiance that . Because most people have looked at cars as an expensive have to have something to drive cost of life, not something to be cherish and enjoyed! I will still do my best to see as much of my stuff can live on but for a lot of it time and life has taken its toll. And it is not about how much money I could make because over the years I have given great parts to people just because I wanted to see them make progress on their rides and not sit and wait for some free money to buy what they need. I like making money ,but sometimes putting a smile on some ones face who needs it is a lot better! Larry

Last edited: Aug 21, 2020
  5. cfmvw

cfmvw

When I downsized to an almost tiny house, I had already culled out a lot of car stuff, most of which I gave away to people I knew could use it, along with various household items. Oddly enough, my parents still persist in giving me stuff ("Your brothers didn't want it, so we thought you should have it"), so I guess we are all doomed to getting and giving stuff.

TrailerTrashToo likes this.

6. Makes perfect sense- He's tried to offer with no avail here..... You know how you look for something for a week at a time, and nothing appears....All the classifieds,auction sites, papers,etc.......
    Then all of a sudden- someone,possibly yourself, learns of this purging. Well- too late,and or a dollar short......
    Just like anything here,and or car related= It is what it is, and if eye's weren't peeled looking at all venue's everyday, how can there be blame for someone wanting to clean house? Maybe things have sat for too long,will never be used,or just need to be gone...... Sometimes it isn't about the coin, but one's personal feelings about such stash/situation.....
    So- there is a purge.Plain and simple. When I want to purge things= they go.Period. I have no love lost dispersing trying to find a "you" ,and not you, who wants,or needs.
    Tis what it is..............
    A buck,a hundo,a G............. If the Man is happy,and satisfied,that is HIS prerogative........
    Practical? Absolutely for those in purge mode,maybe not so much for the I missed what I needed mode......

0NE BAD 51 MERC and RMR&C like this.
  7. I have been married for almost 49 years, and have moved every 15 years until this house we are in now. So the first moves forced me to clean out each time. Moved into my current home in 2003 . Being retired, I have been careful not to hoard. I do have mostly small spares. I do have lots of automobile-a (signs etc.) but it is all being displayed. I recently sold one hot rod and I am down to one.
    I am 73 and realize I won’t be here forever. I sleep well at night, unless I need to pee!

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

8. choptop40

choptop40

moved to ny 2 1/2 years ago and had a ton of 39 caddy parts , sheet metal , engine parts , and a bunch of other year , makes etc...wasnt worth paying for storage when i got here...so had a nice fellow come by to pickup my scrap and told him what everything else was and that he could sell it on ebay...gave it all away...never looked back...i always get more when i give stuff away...great stories...stay safe everyone....

9. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Well , I have a couple sets of front fenders that I was thinking of a more than reasonable sale price to get them gone . I think craigslist is the way to go so I don’t have to deal with shipping.

10. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    When we sold all of the stuff that was the “left overs” from our 671 SBC 1940 Willys Coupe build, we were happy that those old parts(still in excellent condition) were gone. Now, in that backyard garage were still left overs that took up space and cluttered the nice workspace.

During this whole time period, my brother and I had put the long dual pipe set of chrome scavenger pipes in the rafters to get them out of the way. We had actually forgot to put them in the advertisement.
    upload_2020-9-15_4-43-56.png
    But, what was sold helped clean out the workspace. There were still just general stuff that we used to use, then new stuff came in and the old stuff got pushed to the back. It was kind of embarrassing to put all of those items in a Drag News advertisement. So, there were still parts left over from the two builds/rebuild projects. Old flip lid tool boxes with carburetor parts…there were plenty of small pieces for 6 Strombergs.

A small table that had a drawer with valve cover screws and odd shaped washers, the old gas/acetylene tanks and two sets of hoses on a custom rolling cart, old tires from the Willys, boxes of spark plugs used for warm ups only, and a stack of 1 inch steel plates that we had cut up and welded into the floor of the trunk for support/rigidity and weight.

My brother and I knew we would not be using any of that old stuff in whatever we were going to do once we got over the aftermath. So, out it went in a big stack on the outside concrete patio. When the boxes and stuff were getting two rows high and three rows deep, it was time to call the trash collection service.

Jnaki

Back then, there were no trash containers for residential services. In the Westside of Long Beach, we had two different guys cruising the day and night before the normal trash collection day from the city. They came in trucks and station wagons to pick up anything we left on the curbside lawn area. The city trash cans were on the street and were not touched. The neighborhood rule was anything on the curbside lawn area in front of the sidewalk was fair game for any collectors driving by the houses.

So, for the next two weeks, we piled boxes and just general stuff on that curbside lawn. Within three weeks worth of trash pickups, our backyard garage only had my dad’s huge fishing equipment wall and cabinet. Our giant worktable remained and there was no inkling that two teenage brothers had an SBC, 671 blower/parts and carburetors spread all over the table work tops ready to be assembled.

The wall areas and floors were empty and we actually put a comfy chair in there for our meditation area, or actually reminiscing area. The only thing left on the floor was the hydraulic rolling jack that was given to us by our friend from Los Angeles. And of course, our Craftsman Tool Box with several sets of sockets, wrenches, hammers, etc.
    upload_2020-9-15_4-44-37.png
    Those were split up by both of us and for the next 40 years, worked again in our own garages until we no longer worked on cars. Now, my old historic Craftsman tools are in the garages of another generation of hot rod people in our extended family.

When moving from house to house over the 50+ years, one tends to accumulate just “stuff.” So, we did have to rent a dumpster container for days before and after moving in/out of our houses into the new ones. How does one just gather so much crap in a short period of time? The theme of “one day I will use it” plays a big part in accumulating junk.

The old, Rumpus Room/backyard garage may have been empty, but it was full of memories from days gone by...

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
  11. 1934coupe

1934coupe

One Bad 51 you kinda lit the fuse under my ass and while I didn't get a dumpster I have access to a metal bin and have recycling bin for my paper. I bought a new paperback book on how to rebuild a turbo 400, the issue with a red 70 SS Chevelle on the cover last year and now I'm ready to rebuild my trans and can't find it. I have gotten rid of hundreds of magazines, classic chevy and chevelle club magazines I filled 3 recycle bins. That was paper stuff. I got rid of file cabinets, shelving and other metal stuff. I have given away stuff that somebody might want but am tired of advertising it. I have so much s%$t some stuff is brand new that I bought and never used. So I'm cleaning up too so my family doesn't have to. I donated an antique Westin DC millivolt meter that had a patent date of 1896 and a card in it that said tested 1945, to the NJ Institute of Technology it made me feel good and better than selling it.

Next is to go through all my Chevy blocks, heads, cranks, etc. Also I have PG's TH 350 and 400. 3 and 4 speeds.

Pat

Attached Files:

12. boutlaw

boutlaw

Great thread....I have stuff to get rid of as well. Just sold my most excellent 32 grill shell this week in less than 20 mins on HAMB, it cost $250 to ship the damn thing. I worry the grill wont arrive in the same condition it left here. Shipping parts makes the whole idea of selling something a friggin nightmare. I usually take stuff to the swap meets at our Gasser races but its hit or miss. I always hate bringing the stuff back home. To good to throw away I always said, but when I croak, its dumpster bound. Another thing I keep is metal from projects that I just cant scrap, I give away metal but cant bring myself to pitch it or scrap it for $.03 a pound, but it takes up a lot of room. I want to build another car, but it aint happening. Its time consuming to keep the coupe going and the Ranchero ready for races already, besides the shop is full...no room for another build.

stillrunners and Cosmo49 like this.
  13. I scrapped a cracked block a while back and was feeling good about myself because I took some time to look around for other stuff to go with it. Found an old Y block cam and tossed it in the pile, the following week, I remembered that I did not remove the cam spacer off of it, now I need a cam spacer. See what I get? I'm saving everything from now on.

stillrunners likes this.
  14. railcarmover

railcarmover

Ever got to sell at the swap meet and people pick over and pass most of your stuff up? disgusted,you leave it at the dumpster at the end of the meet and watch the same vultures fight over it.

streetrodder51 likes this.
  15. Elmo Rodge

Elmo Rodge

I moved some shit. Does that count? :)
    Wayno

16. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

As long as your not a plumber. :D

17. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Well that dumpster load is gone and I still have not made a dent in all the stuff I collected over almost 40 years. And we won't even get started on the 35 year s of magazine's in boxes in the basement! On top of that squablow and a few others have reach out so I am double checking boxes and shelves and putting things they might have an interest in aside. And even though scrap prices suck right now the load still cover the cost of having the dumpster brought out. ;) Larry

Squablow and saltflats like this.