Register now to get rid of these ads!

Not painting my chevy block orange ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by petes65usa, Mar 29, 2010.

1. I'm pretty sure that same color was on their color charts for the body as well. Either way, it's a very pretty blue

2. ShastaStyle

ShastaStyle
    from Nor-Cal

X2 on being a fan of black because it looks clean against the shinny stuff, but gold would look cool as well!

3. CJ Steak

CJ Steak
    from Texas

I've actually heard of racers painting the inner fenderwells of their cars a light color, as well as the block/heads so they could spot leaks easier.

Obviously a moot point on a street car... but I noticed a slightly weeping head gasket on my Willys flatty after cleaning and painting the engine industrial grey. I never noticed it when it was black/funk/chevy orange. Luckily in my case industrial grey was the original color, so it was a win-win. It HAS made it easier to pin point leaks and fix them. A friend of mine has a 454 that we have no idea where it's leaking from because everything is a dark color and it's a tight fit.

Just something to think about...

-Chris

4. Licensed to kill

Licensed to kill
    from Alberta

The gold looks good. When I had my '57 chevy, I painted the engine white with the white headers. Had a black engine compartment, red fire wall and underside of hood. Car was red with white roof. Looked great IMO.

5. 1320/150

1320/150

perfect color choice!!! I think it will look great in a primer black car!! this gold is perfect!1!

6. That beautiful motor deserves a lot more than another black primered pile

7. 1320/150

1320/150

????????

8. 666Irish

666Irish

My Plymouth flat 6 is going BMC green. Find a color that makes you happy and go for it!

9. slickshoez

slickshoez

I personally would strip it and leave it bare. I had a machinist chew me a new one once for wanting to paint one of his motors that was going in my drag car. He had a hole slew of reasons so I istened. After it got rusty with the brushed aluminium valve covers is looked sweet. Think a bout it?

10. 1320/150

1320/150

I imagine it would look brown with brushed aluminum valve covers?

11. Blk210

Blk210
    from New Market

Maybe its where i am from, but i say paint it Pagan Gold, looks awesome.

12. Paint in a spray can was invented in 1949. Aluminum was the first color. By the time 56 Chevys were trickling down to hot rodders all of the colors of the rainbow were available. My friend Dick (Bean Bandit) has had his 32 three window for over 50 years. It still sports a candy dash the he and his father rattle canned shortly after he got it.

So, grab a bomb or two and paint it any color you want. Its traditional.

13. BTW, Chevy has more than one color orange. One is a red orange and the other is the typical Chevy orange color. Most peopole don't see the difference until the colors are next to each other.

14. I never heard of that. Was one specific to a certain year group?

15. petes65usa

petes65usa

???????????????

16. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Like a turd with jewlerey.:D

17. CARLOS8A

CARLOS8A
    from waukegan

this is my motor in the 52. not the best paint job but it will do!! SBC.jpg

18. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

FWIW...

VHT has a new line of metallic engine paints in spray cans.
    • Fire Red
    • SP402 Burnt Copper
    • SP403 Titanium Silver
    • SP404 Gold Flake
    http://www.vhtpaint.com/enginemetallic.html

I have not used them so I cant comment on the colors or how the finished product looks... but they sound like they have potential!

19. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

If you don't care how fast it is paint it Ford red:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::rolleyes:

Frank

20. THANK YOU! I was hoping someone would "call" that one. Anyone thinking there's anything cool looking about rust is a dork:p

21. Grumpy

Grumpy
    from NE Ohio

Did I miss where the orginal poster, Pete56's, 56 is a rusty pile?

Its a rusty pile because its in primer?

22. I paint mine black. I've never really considered an engine block to be a fashion statement.

That said gold is a good color I suppose. I'll probably paint my Olds motor gold.

23. Django

Django
    from Chicago

I'm sorta in the same boat with my '55. The body is turquoise, so I'm not sure what color to go with. I like Pontiac blue, but I'm afraid that will be too close to the body color.

24. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

25. any color but chevy orange is a plus, never been a fan of it

gold looks like it'd be a rad color to go with

I'm painting my block a metallic red

26. If you want a silver engine, snag the paint code for almost any of the manufacterers sparkley silver metallic wheel/wheel cover paints. It looks pretty nice on any aluminum that needs to get painted...

27. petes65usa

petes65usa

Thanks Grumpy for noticing.......I was into a lot of great info and opinions here and starting to enjoy the site and then I see that "left of center comment" & it's from some dude that doesn't even know me or my car ??? not to mention we did a frame off and there's not any rust on her....

28. petes65usa

petes65usa

Thanks everyone for the help , opinions & pics ....lots of great ideas "got some more".....Glad to be a member here , you guys are very cool..........pete

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
  29. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

My '56 265 was Red from the Factory and it seemed to be a no brainer wince my '35 Coupe is red too! But I am not seeing a bright red motor between those frame rails so instead I am going for a dark red or Maroon to down play the motor and bring a bit more class to it. I really like offsetting the motor color with a couple shades darker or lighter then the body. My friend Dustin has a grandma green '62 Galaxie and he painted the motor 5 shades darker then the body. Looks killer and that's always been the look I like.

If not that then your safe bet is always GOLD GOLD GOLD!!!!! Orange is cool too if you are going for a bone stock look which I really like. But since I'll have 4 two's on top it's not really a bone stock look anymore.

30. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

I would do the gold. I've been kicking colors around for my BBC and gold is high on my list.