Register now to get rid of these ads!

not OT- Postal Vans

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 4t64rd, May 14, 2004.

1. There isn't much online about Jeep postal vans, I have a 74-79 RHD van (owner doesn't know) that I can take parts off of. The owner says it's a 4cyl.

Could it be the coveted Chevy 4cyl. found in the early Chevy II? They used them in the little DJs
    What about the rearend?
    Steering box?

Does anybody know anything about these things?

2. J Man

J Man

I know the newer ones had S10 components but I know that doesn't help.

I might be interested in the steering box and brake pedal assy if you are not going to use.

3. old beet

old beet

Some had 9in Ford rear ends.........OLDBEET

4. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

It will likely either be an old 153 Chevy four, or the newer Monza version. The 80s S-10 based vans will have the Iron Duke evoloution of that GM four popper in them.

The motor in the one you're looking at will have a sbc bellhousing pattern if it's from the 70s or 60s. The Iron Duke variant from the 80s will have a crossflow head and a different bellhousing pattern.

The 153 is essentially a 194 six with two cylinders lopped off...they had some funky idle issues, but are very reliable. They also saw some use in marine applications.

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. dixiedog

dixiedog

It was probably made by AM General - the steering box, small saginaw, should be identical to that one i had laying next to the DB when you were up and will mount on top of the frame for a drag link style with arm sticking up.

The rear axle, if it like a DJ, is a narrowed Dana 44 that is not offset the backing plate to backing plate dimension is approx 44".

What I liked is the radiator on a DJ is a small but thick that would work great in a T but the bottom outlet is on the left side if it runs the AMC 6.

Just about all i know [​IMG]

6. manyolcars

manyolcars

offroad.com has forums that include the postal jeep

7. www.postaljeep.com, if it still works!

My wife used to work at the PO, but she drove one of the newer LLV's that are Explorer based. If she goes back to work as a rural carrier, she's gonna get a Jeep.

Jay

8. manyolcars

manyolcars

1968 to 70 used the chevy 4 and also 1982 used a chevy 4

9. Model A Vette

Model A Vette

The "Iron Dukes", 151 cubes, were used in the Monza style cars with a standard chevy bellhousing pattern. I think they started in the Pontiac Astre (sp) in about 1975 and were used up until 1980. Once GM can out with the fwd Citation they made the 151 with the smaller FWD bell pattern. The Citation came out in 1979 as a 1980 car so there was a little overlap in 1979 between the two patterns. If you want to use the later small pattern block with an older bellhousing there are adapters available from Speedway and others.
    The 151 went to a crossflow head in 1979. Prior to that (75-78) they had the intake and exhaust on the same side. All of the 151's, in the Monza cars came with non-computer HEI ign.
    There were plenty of speed parts available from Pontiac for the Iron Duke as they were making racing parts for the Fieros. They had special heads, blocks, cranks, valve cover, etc. All marketed as "Super Duty" like the old factory speed parts from an earlier era.

10. It's not the little DJ version, it's the FJ, like a mini step van with the roll up rear door.