Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NOT FOR LOVE NOR MONEY!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Apr 23, 2021.

1. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

My dad's 56 Corvette, he bought it from his nephew who needed a down payment for a house in 1965 for $900.00.
    He then used it to deliver starters and alternators for the next 20 years sun, rain, snow didn't matter. There is still a set of bias ply studded snow tires on Cascade Green rims in the basement of the shop as we speak.
    In 2013 a bunch of my hot rod buddies and I got her back on the road working at "Charlie's Clubhouse" every weekend. It was a great time with great friends. 20130518_165601.jpg 1956 VET 024.jpg 20130608_125824.jpg 1956 VET 018.jpg Drag.jpg Corvette-102.jpg

Last edited: Apr 24, 2021
    60Pioneer, Dave Gray, rod1 and 19 others like this.
  2. In the case of my F-100 the only way I get rid of it is if I decide I don’t need it anymore. That hasn’t happened yet.....yet. IMG_0948.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

3. There’s a saddle for every ass.

And

Everything I own is for sale.

partsdawg and chryslerfan55 like this.
  4. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So far, every car I have could be bought. I guess I enjoy building them too much.

5. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You know, I seem to remember reading a story about a guy wanting to be buried in his T-Bird and that's what supposedly happened. Now, if you were so inclined?????????;)

Nicholas Coe and chryslerfan55 like this.
  6. clem

clem

When I got married we agreed that my coupe would only be sold if we needed the money for our kids health reasons if we couldn’t find the $ else where.
    Fortunately the worst it got, many years ago, was I sold off the fibreglass guards ( $700 in 1995/1996 )- to pay for a small op, and although both kids have had severe and costly illnesses, (now recovered thanks), we still have it.

When the exchange rate was very favourable between here and Japan, and it was still a project, I started questioning why I was keeping it, but my wife soon put a stop to that. (and she doesn’t even like the car ).

It is still in the garage, not quite finished, and for me to consider selling it, someone could buy a better one for what I would want for it.

And I guess that sums it up for most on here,
    - “ it means more to us than what they could find a similar or better one for ! “ - sentimental attachment

and it’s not as nice looking as it pretends to be in this photo......

051F4ABB-9A55-46C0-BE30-A805E203B292.jpeg

this is how it was when I first got it, and although the chassis was done, the body was the same when we got married..........

7F6ECB41-72BC-481A-958E-D360E3CDE3CC.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
  7. Chavezk21

Chavezk21

This was my pops car. The middle pic is from 1973, my pops put me in the drivers seat when him and my uncles pushed it out from the fence, and had me steer. This is the car that bit me with the car bug. Bottom pic is from the mid 70's when he finished it the first time. I was the last one to drive it back in 1989. Pulled it out into the street, pushed in the clutch and clatter clatter, main bearing on the hot rod 235 went bye bye. He had started to street rod it back in the 90's. got sidetracked and it sat parked. Sadly he passed away in 2008 never seeing it or his 58 impala finished. I brought it home in April 2014 tore it down, chopped it and have slowly been putting it back together. In the meantime, starting in 2015 I rebuilt the 327, turbo 350 ,rear end welded in new floor, trunk pans of his 58 Impala for my mom to drive. just finished it 2019 years ago. So even though this has been with me for 7 years, I had 5 years out of that time rebuilding the other car. This car has a stipulation that when I pass, if my son does not want it, it is to go to someone in the family to drive. 48.jpg 48 dad n uncles.jpg mont ward (3).jpg

8. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

8F0CDE87-B12A-4145-A709-587206A68DED.jpeg I’ve owned my OT ‘69 GTX since 1982 and got my brother’s’58 when he passed away in 2010. I’ve received generous offers for both, but they’re not going anywhere...

Last edited: Apr 25, 2021
    impala4speed likes this.
  9. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mama's 55-been here since 77-was main driver for many years-not leaving as long as I'm upright. Damn nice little car!! One photo is current-the other is in a show in 1980. Over the years 15 40's have passed thru here and maybe 11-12 trifives but her 55 stays. IMG_1843.JPG

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
  10. bobd1976

bobd1976
    from Illinois

Was after a 34 down the street for 20 yrs. Got it bought did a total build on it. Kept it for 20 more years had a lot of fun with it and sold it a few weeks ago. Easy come easy go! lol

11. 2935ford

2935ford

Gotta admit......I go nuts for a vehicle that I want......get it, build it, then see another I really want.......sell one to get one and......on it goes for years!
    Have had many I thought were the keepers no, there was always a draw to another!
    But...........I think I am at the point where another buy and build is of less interest to me now.
    Am I done with Hot Rods.....definitely not.
    So, what I have now could be it! Although, it is a disease with no known cure, yes? :)

12. Lou kriger

Lou kriger

Just two. Both with long stories, great memories,and no4sale. IMG_0239.JPG IMG_2958.JPG

Attached Files:

13. atch

atch

I bought Clarence 48 years ago in February 1973. It never was or will be my most highly favored hot rod material. BUT; I've probably driven that thing 200,000 miles. The odometer was broken for most of those 48 years, so that's just a wag based on the trips it's been on. The memories it's given me are more precious than any amount of money. It'll go to my youngest daughter when I leave this rock. She drove it to high school a couple of times in the 90's and has always been enamored with it. She said every boy in school wanted to know what it was and whose it was. She knew every answer regarding the drivetrain, the year, the mag wheels, etc.

It's currently in the midst of the last makeover I'll ever do to it. I'm spending several times more money on it than it ever will be worth. You just can't put a price tag on what it has meant to me and my family.

They say that enough money can buy most things, but I can/will honestly say that an offer of a million bux wouldn't get this thing away from me.

My very best friend died 3 years ago and left me a half finished 31 Model A 2-dr. My wife or children might sell that after I'm gone, but the title will remain in my name as long as I'm still breathing.

14. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Sold every vehicle I have ever owned.

Nicholas Coe and hotrodjack33 like this.
  15. Have owned my OT 68 GTO for 41 years now. My dad bought it new, and I got it when I was 16. Will never sell it, however it will be given to my nephew at some point long in the future.

Sent from my SM-A102U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. 10 '54 Ford coupes, a nice builder is impossible to find in my neck of the woods. :rolleyes: HRP

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  17. cfmvw

cfmvw

I like that picture of Brenda with her grandmother...she was a cute little tyke!

ct1932ford and chryslerfan55 like this.
  18. goldmountain

goldmountain

I've owned the car for 50 years now and it has sat neglected for the last 25 years sitting in one garage or another but if I finish those darn cars that managed to jump the queue in front of it, I want another crack at it. On the positive note, my building skills have improved a bit since I left off.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

19. I've owned my truck for 24 years , and , even though it's getting harder for me to drive it , I still have the passion . Still ................ Never is such a big word .

osage orange and chryslerfan55 like this.
  20. ratfink500xl

ratfink500xl
    from Renton, WA

I was just wondering about the story with the bumper sticker. Is this an Army Air Forces?

21. old chevy

old chevy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Old blue has been in the family for at least the last 67 years. Not for sale as long as I am still here, hoping son will keep it then. Learned to drive it 65 years ago.

22. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

My 51 Merc and My 64 Marauder. I can hardly remember a time when I did not want a 51 and I have had mine since 96. She has been quietly waiting for me to finish the rebuild I started in 2006. The Marauder belonged to a very dear friend and for years I would tell him if he ever sold it I wanted it! He has suffered with Parkinsons and other health issues for years and out of the blue three years ago He handed me the keys and the title, and said Your name is on it in the will but it doesn't make sense for you to wait till I die to start enjoying it! He is the best friend I have ever had. So she's not going anywhere. 20200613_163247.jpg

23. brady1929

brady1929

My 32 ford 5w, that is taking way too long to finish.

impala4speed and Nicholas Coe like this.
  24. gene-koning

gene-koning

Everything I own is for sale, but your timing has to be right.

I had one of those cars once that was exactly what I wanted at the time. I broke the motor one night and a few weeks later I was ready to install the new motor. Some guy showed up asking how much I wanted for my car.
    "Not for sale." was my response.
    "Everything is for sale, what is your price?" he stated'
    "This one is not for sale."
    He stood there for nearly an hour telling me everything was for sale and all I had to do was name my price.
    I finally reached that point, I gave him a price, "$200,000, as is!"
    "Why, that's too much! Its not worth anywhere near that price!" (It was probably worth about $3,000 at the time)
    "You told me to name my price, there it is. And I won't take a penny less!"
    "At that price you are never going to sell it!"
    "Exactly! Now, get the &*#@ out of here!"
    A few years later I did sell the car, for a lot less money then the $200,000.
    Timing is everything. Gene

Dusty-NZ, alanp561 and Nicholas Coe like this.
  25. primed34

primed34

Had my '55 Chevy since 1970. I've got my '34 Chevy coupe in '82. Chances of me ever selling them are pretty slim.

26. rtp

rtp

The 48 old's sat at garage behind a popular bbq place in Shelby N.C. from 1964 to 1977 when I bought it.
    I remember my dad trying to buy it 8n the late 60s .
    I had a friend from high school that was working there ,went to see him about something got to talking to the owner .
    Made a deal on the 48
    750.00 bucks plus all parts he had gathered for it.
    It had belonged to a judge in Shelby and had thrown a rod.They brought it to the garage to be fixed.1964.
    The garage owner Ivo Bridges started to gather parts to repair the motor.
    The judge(Peton Mcswain ) had a heart attack and past away.
    Ivo bought the car from the estate.
    Never fixed it.
    That's where a 19year old kid came in.
    Tried for a while to find parts for the flathead 6 ,gave up.(before internet)
    I installed a 350 / 350 out of a72 cutlass.
    I am now 63 years young.
    Still have it,drove it today to get my 2nd covid vaccine.
    Ivo never had the title in his name.
    So I am officially the second owner of a 1948 Oldsmobile.
    My once tried to buy it ,and was really happy I got it ,helped me get going,and road with along to shows with me.
    Later I bought a 56 Belair and gave it him.
    I had killed his original 56 as a teenager,that's another story.
    So I still have my 48 and now the 56 Belair
    as my fa has past on.
    So no will not sell unless really stupid money is offered.
    The nephew's will get the cars when I am gone. Both have shown interest so that part is easy.
    RTP

Sent from my VS987 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

osage orange likes this.
  27. My 33 pickup is never going anywhere and neither will Taboo, the other stuff we have can be sold if needed, but I will fight tooth and nail to keep these two cars. I have grown up in the cab of the 33 and been around Taboo since I was a toddler.

33 2.jpg DSC_0214.JPG

papa ron dalton.jpg 82359778_3845659122114480_2936590601950330880_o.jpg

28. I don't intend selling anything i have now. My 37 Willys has been with me since April 77 and was my daily driver for nine years till i wore it out. I may get to it one day but it now sits in the barn under a cover.
    My RPU i built over the last ten years and it doesn't owe me much, i would hate to see it in someone else's ownership.
    I have a unmolested original 35 Willys sedan thats going nowhere, my wifes 64 1/2 Mustang we brought back from our 1st US trip is also here to stay.
    One i did sell and have never gotten over was a steel 32 Ford roadster body, that was back when i was 24. JW
    [​IMG]

29. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

seems like a waste of a good car to me...