Register now to get rid of these ads!

not charging

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1931S/X, Sep 1, 2007.

1. 1931S/X

1931S/X
    from nj

how can i tell if my generator is working? either it or my regulator took a dump, i think its 50s gm stuff but im not totally sure its on my 31 essex. generator is delco remy 1961H 5100, regulator is 1118301 6v. cant i jump the reg somehow?

2. 41hemi

41hemi

The car should be able to run off the battery if the charging system is not working. To check if the charging system is working you could start the car up and let it run at a high idle. At this point remove the negative battery terminal. If the car continues to run this proves the charging system is working as you have eliminated the battery as a power source for the coil. If it shuts the engine down, then it tells me the charging system is not putting out enough to keep the coil powered up.

3. 1931S/X

1931S/X
    from nj

yeah it starts and runs, but when i pull the battery cable, it dies. i need to know which isnt working the regulator or the generator. i cleaned the commutator and the brushes still nothing. id also like to find out what these parts are from, where can i run the delco remy numbers? the wierd part is that before i went to a show the other night, i replaced the battery wire from the voltage regulator to the ammeter, becasue it was bare in spots. it stopped charging on my way home from the show, i guess just a coincedence.