Register now to get rid of these ads!

Not bad for a friday night

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BigDanF4i, Feb 16, 2007.

1. BigDanF4i

BigDanF4i

Got home from work today and decided to start my frame. I've had the the sections cut up and ready to go for a few days now. Just been brushing up on my welding a bit before I bit the bullet.

I'm using 3/16" 2x4 box tubing. I don't have a frame table, but I do have a couple sawhorses and a 4 x 8 sheet of 1/2" osb. Bingo cheap frame table. Wasn't sure how well it was gonna work, but with a little patience and planning. I was able the get the frame spot on perfectly level. All it really took was half a dozen clamps and a level. Over a little more than 10 feet, the rails run out about 3/8" when clamped together at the nose. not too bad for my first attempt I think.:D

Tommorow and sunday I should be able to get the front and rear suspension set and maybe even the engine put in if I get really motivated:eek:

Well other than some boogered looking welds :eek: What do you guys think. Not bad for a young punk kid??

If you click on the pics, it will blow them up

[​IMG]

front horns, altered model a knock-offs
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    finished product
    [​IMG]

2. slunceford

slunceford

Looking good. Homemade Z'ed frame is no trivial project. Best of luck and we'll stay tuned. What's the final vision for the car?

-S

3. BigDanF4i

BigDanF4i

I'm planning on making a home-made body to resemble a model a tudor. BUT, just in case I don't like what I end up with, I am making everything to fit a real one. I know a lot of people scoff when you mention "home-made body," but I want to give it a try, what the worst that could happen, ruin $200 worth of steel? I've done worse things.

I still need to add fitch (?) plates at the weld points for strength. I stick welded the frame, I just feel better about the penetration I can get from it. I know a lot of guys use their mig machines for this, call me a nervous guy if you want.

4. pitman

pitman

I still need to add fitch (?) plates at the weld points for strength. I stick welded the frame, I just feel better about the penetration I can get from it. I know a lot of guys use their mig machines for this, call me a nervous guy if you want.[/quote]
    I don't see any reason not to stick weld as you are. It will be plenty strong if the penetration is right. I used to tap this frame material w/5/16-18 thread for a number of bracket & body mounts. Using flitch plates your joints should be fine. BTW the frame horns look great!

5. BigDanF4i

BigDanF4i

Thanks, the tapered part is 9" shorter than an actual model a frame. I did that so it would fit my front cross member with as much contact area as I could

6. BigDanF4i

BigDanF4i

Spent the afternoon messing with the front suspension. I'll put the rear in tomorrow and see what it looks like on the ground:D

A side note: may I reccommend anyone building a garage or shop install radiant floor heat. It's single digits outside but the concrete is 74*. less than a dollar a day to heat my 680 sq. ft. shop. I know a good plumber in the northeast ohio area who can do it for ya!

[​IMG]