Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Not Another 41 Pickup Project!! (Update: 12/06)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrodA, Aug 7, 2020.

1. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oops, you are correct. I wouldn't trust it over that rustoleum. Find a better paint store, buy a base coat in a spray can. Oil pans don't get that hot, not hot enough to bake off paint. I still use a high heat primer just cuz.

loudbang likes this.
  2. Update......
    Just read through 87 customer reviews on EW 2K clear and there were several that successfully used, and praised, the 2K clear over Rustoleum. Including one guy that did a complete car (!).
    FWIW, In their product question section, they won’t admit compatibility with anything other than their products. Of course.

Did use the 2K High heat primer. Went on very nice and is as tough as any sprayed urethane I’ve used in the past.

loudbang and Bandit Billy like this.
  3. 64Pony

64Pony

Check out the Zmax 2k clear as well. I just sprayed my engine with it yesterday, turned out good.

loudbang likes this.
  4. Thanks! What did you use for a base coat?
    No progress. I’ve had a backlog of property projects that I’ve been hitting on the few warm and dry days we’ve had. Didn’t want to save them until hot weather. As usual I underestimated them and they kicked my butt.
    Now we are going out of town to visit family!
    Of course we got hammered by the bad storms last week. Couple hundred feet of gravel driveway washed out. Supposedly being fixed while we’re gone. I’m too old for that shit.
    Lots of flooding in TN, KY, VA.

Got front brake kit coming from ECI and rears ready to put on once I figure out what width and offset I need on rear wheels. Looks like I’ll have to make them to get what I want.
    More opportunities!

Last edited: Mar 29, 2021
    Grandadeo, loudbang and Hamtown Al like this.
  5. 64Pony

64Pony

I used duplicolor spray cans. I’ll pm you a photo.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

loudbang likes this.
  6. It’s never ending!
    Been gone a week, and the guy that was supposed to grade and fill my washed out driveway was just starting as we came home yesterday. Supposed to be here today with a load of gravel, but hasn’t shown yet! (Came at 5:00)

Better yet, I called ECI to see why the front brake kit Marcus PROMISED to ship last Monday hadn’t arrived.
    “ I forgot to call you, the motor on my flame cutter went out. Only have one bracket.”
    Geez, Louise!
    Got plenty of other things to do, so I’ll quit bitching and get to it.
    What’s next?

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
  7. Grandadeo

Grandadeo

Bill, if it's not one thing it's three.

loudbang likes this.
  8. Yep!
    Driveway got finished this AM. Two loads of gravel and three hours of skid steer = $1250!
    500 feet @ $2.50/ft., and me NOT doing it, makes it a little easier to swallow.

Now to see what else can go wrong on the truck project. Stay tooned.

loudbang and brEad like this.
  9. It just keeps getting better!!
    Went to my Cardiologist today, as my left leg had been swelling from the knee down. Attributed it to a worn out knee and the fact that I twisted it a while back.
    No such luck. Ultra sound confirmed a DVT blood clot and I have to start blood thinner (Eliquis) and back in three weeks for another ultra sound.
    Have to limit the concrete time for a while, since standing increases the swelling. Guess I’ll work from a stool.

Bandit Billy, loudbang and SPEC like this.
  10. Grandadeo

Grandadeo

Pace yourself partner.

11. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Did you get a J&J Covid shot? I hear a lot of people getting clots. Take care, Ill be here watching when you get back to it.

kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  12. Thanks!
    No, didn’t get the J&J vaccine.

loudbang likes this.
  13. Well, there WERE a couple of bright spots today.
    Rear wheels I ordered from Summit came today. $80 with 3 day FREE shipping!
    15x7, 5 on 5 1/2, takes gennie Ford cap, has 4 vents like OE.
    US Wheel Roadster 455 series.

Also 3 days for spacers from USAdapters. Billet with correct nuts to attach them. Made in USA.
    (I could have used a rear end a little wider than a Bronco. Too late now)

20210414_163740.jpg

Mark from ECI called (!) and said he should receive flame cutter motor from Utah tomorrow, and I'm first in line.
    We shall see.. Fingers crossed.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
    brEad, loudbang, Hamtown Al and 2 others like this.
  14. Mocked up the new wheel. It's now centered in the fender's width. The 2x4 and piece of tubing clamped to the frame duplicates the side of the bed. Fender lip is 12" from the bed.

20210415_134505.jpg

20210415_134611.jpg

15. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The way lumber prices are going you can sell that section of 2X4 on ebay and pay for a tire.

16. Ha! Too expensive to use for firewood! Break up the furniture first.

17. Well, the fun that never stops.:mad:
    Pulled the rear axles and took them to my local parts guy and machine shop for new bearings and some wheel studs.
    When I went back today, the first thing the owner said was “It ain’t good”. :eek:
    Not what you want to hear.
    The driver side axle had a spun bearing race and was worn so bad, only the retainer was holding it on!
    So it’s axle time.
    Good thing that the biggest early Bronco meet in the country is this weekend and close by in Townsend TN.
    Maybe I can get lucky at the swap meet! :D (for an axle, you pervs)

update: Went to the Bronco meet but no axle to be had:(

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
  18. Well, as I said, the Bronco swap meet wasn’t successful. Plus the rough ass new field site took a toll on my bum leg. :( Bum leg equals bum ME! What would Friday bring??

:DGot an email from Advanced Auto Parts with a 20% discount code, so I thought it wouldn’t hurt just to check their site.......and sure enough, they had a Motive Gear rear axle that had all the specs!! $104 list. Free shipping.
    With the discount $84 (+ tax)

:DAnd then UPS showed up with the long awaited ECI front brake kit. Thanks Mark!!

:DThen a trip to the Doc to hear that I am making progress with the DVT blood clot!

Definitely a Blessed day!

Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
  19. Quality stuff from ECI. Smooth, deburred, ready to paint. Thanks!

20210424_182707.jpg

Last edited: Apr 25, 2021
  20. Any progress is good these days!:rolleyes:

Mocked up the ECI brake kit today with F150 rotor and GM caliper, prior to paint.
    Only issue I had was the kingpin lock had to be reversed to clear the bracket, with the turn stop nut on the front side of the axle.
    Unfortunately the spindle does not have the dimple on the front also, rather a raised bump, so the turning radius will be less. I will turn some off the length of the nut and gain it back (I HOPE). Otherwise, a nice product.

20210425_191754.jpg
    20210425_191817.jpg

21. Spoiler alert!!!

Ford pickup steel wheels, 15x5-1/2, will not clear the caliper., even after some judicious grinding.
    The inner wheel flange is also a “red one” away from hitting the tie rod end.
    20210428_125326.jpg
    Stock 40 brakes allowed plenty of clearance at the tie rod end when the spindle arms were bent.
    Looks like a 1/4” wheel spacer will cure it all. Plenty of stud length on the F150 hub.
    Another opportunity, as @Hamtown Al says.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2021
  22. New axle from Advanced was on the porch when I got home today.
    Two days + FREE shipping!
    It sure is a purdy thang!
    Will get the bearing and studs pressed on tomorrow.
    20210428_125153.jpg

“Building hot rods is like riding a roller coaster, long uphill pulls with occasional downhill joy!”
    (Forrest Gump, I think)

Last edited: Apr 28, 2021
  23. Wheel issue solved (hopefully).
    Had another pair of Ford pickup wheels that are 15x5.
    A 1\2" does make a difference! :p At least in wheels.
    Since the inside rear of the rim is sloped rather than square like a late model, the clearance increased.
    Message_1619732554560.jpg
    Message_1619732466331.jpg

New rear axle ready to go in with new bearing and studs. Came with its own "protection". She said "Wow":rolleyes:
    20210429_171356.jpg

Last edited: Apr 29, 2021
  24. As I said, I hopefully have the front wheel/brake issue resolved for good!
    20210507_184320.jpg

To recap in case someone can benefit from my hassle. Avoidable with later model wheels.

Went to a 15x5 Ford pickup wheel.
    Opened up the wheel center hub hole about .030” as it was binding on the F150 hub.
    20210507_175853.jpg

Found these .250” billet spacers and bumped the wheel out to make sure.
    Still plenty of room on the F150 hub for the wheel to locate.
    20210507_175758.jpg

Good clearance all over and no runout.
    20210507_180739.jpg

Off to the blaster!

Last edited: May 7, 2021
  25. Not a lot to report with DVT clot and home chores but got a little done, in spite of myself.

Got the engine epoxy primed, color coated and 2K cleared.
    Message_1623278241713.jpg
    Surprise!!
    I had changed the oil filter adapter earlier to clear the starter and found out that this boss on the block kept ANY filter from screwing on. Talk about Piss Poor Prior Planning!
    Had to take a cutoff wheel to my freshly painted block and whack a good inch off the protruding piece.
    Apparently some Desotos have these and some don't according to H.H.
    20210610_140739.jpg
    Whew! Got it touched up and the filter on.
    20210610_193630.jpg
    Got the transmission and stock intake scrubbed down and epoxy primed and a couple coats of Eastwood 2K Alumi-Blast epoxy.
    20210617_165605.jpg
    20210617_165547.jpg
    Intake comes pretty close to matching H.H. front cover. Better than the pic shows.
    Mike Barillaro is milling a spot on the valley cover for my hoarded, trick oil filler cap.
    Which may have come from a P-38 Lightning. Or not.
    Front cover got a seal and is on for good.
    20210617_195706.jpg
    Waiting on wheels and rear backing plates to be blasted, so I got the ECI brake pieces primed and painted and screwed the brakes on for good.
    (He said, fingers crossed)
    Message_1623975585949.jpg
    20210623_112903.jpg
    Stay tooned for more swell adventures.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2021
  26. Keep on truckin! Looking good!

hotrodA, loudbang and lothiandon1940 like this.
  27. Good progress in spite of yourself!

hotrodA and loudbang like this.
  28. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had to go look at my filter adapter after seeing that. My adapter drops my filter straight down so it avoided that boss.
    I like the paint job on the hemi! Keep the progress coming!

loudbang and hotrodA like this.
  29. Thanks!
    That straight down adapter was my first choice, but the starter had to move to the passenger side for driver side exhaust and steering box clearance. It all worked out with the smaller filter.
    Overcoming obstacles.
    Rock on!

The 39 guy, loudbang and Bandit Billy like this.
  30. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ah, reminds me of my divorce. Good times, good times.

loudbang and hotrodA like this.