Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Not Another 41 Pickup Project!! (Update: 12/06)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrodA, Aug 7, 2020.

1. IMG_2336.JPG
    A while back I started to realize at my age (74) and pace (sloth) that my 41 pickup might not get on the road for me to enjoy.:(

After seeing the quality of their work on here for customers (#garage2small) and their own cars (the Pete Eastwood roadster, the TROG belly tank, 32 coupe w/Y-block). I got in line for Jim and Mike, the Barillaro Brothers. Two weeks ago my number came up and I hauled my steaming pile over to the Barillaro Speed Emporium in Knoxville.

It didn't take long for them to convince me that a previous owner had so totally screwed up the frame, that it, along with the replacement back half I had, wasn't doable without spending more than it was worth. I had all the CE bits and pieces, but it would have all been the proverbial " lipstick on a pig ". :mad:

I was ready to haul it all home, when Mike recalled seeing a new frame just sitting unused at Bobby Alloway's shop on a recent visit. A couple days later Jim called and gave me the lowdown. A new Pete & Jakes/Hotshoe Hot Rods, jig built, boxed piece of goodness for a screamin' deal and a LOT less than it would cost to fix my POS! Who says you can't make chicken salad out of chicken s**t? :D

Mike picked it up, and like the mad fabricator he is, Jim had things mocked up with my stuff in a couple of days.

The plan is a narrow front axle, a 9", 3.50 posi. Bronco rear on CE parallel leafs, turned by a fresh 330 Desoto w/350 Turbo. Either disc or finned drums on the front.

Sort of a poor man's Bandit Billy clone.:cool:

Progress pics as soon as I beat my phone in to submission.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
  2. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Always good to save another oldie.:cool:

3. Grandadeo

Grandadeo

Sounds like a plan Man.

Lee.

4. As you can see from the top pic, there's an issue with the wheels off center, front and rear.
    The P.O. had grafted on some kind of Ford pickup frame with some way too long parallel leaf springs on the 40 rear axle.(!):eek: Since the frame front half was so pristine, I had planned to just replace the back mess with a good 40 rear section and use all the CE stuff I had collected for my 40 coupe project.
    After taking the replacement stock back half over to my "friend" to blast and epoxy prime, it turned out to be too thin and pitted to use. Of course he didn't bother to tell me that until he was done! Shame on me. What looked smooth and decent going in turned out not to be so.
    $$ wasted!
    So that's the back story. The sheet metal is pretty nice. Minor rust out, and a few lumps. Got two beds with it, one shiny paint one with new wood.
    Time to move on. Now if I could just get that POS camera to cough up the pics on it.
    Stay tuned, I hope

Frame I was originally going to use. Looks pretty good from this angle.

20200803_111728.jpg

Not so much back here

20200710_191127 1.jpg

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
    Deuces, Stogy, 40LUV and 2 others like this.

5. Success, of sorts.

The new frame from Alloway's, safe and sound at BSE.

IMG_2596.jpg

First mock up, with crossmember tacked in. The Posie spring I had was for a wider axle, so shackles are down. Shorter replacement came today. Bones are pie cut with hangers adjusted. Rear spring brackets are clamped until fenders get mocked up to find center lines.

IMG_2727.jpg

IMG_2735(1).jpg

Cab temporarily back on with a front fender and board. No engine yet, but the shorter spring should level out the shackles and raise it up some.

IMG_2743.jpg

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
    catdad49, Deuces, Okie Pete and 11 others like this.
  6. AHotRod

AHotRod

Do you have the engine?
    It's gonna be a nice ride.

Stogy likes this.
  7. Thanks!
    Yes, I have the engine. It was built by the late Ivars Smeltnieks, the founder of Racing Head Service and Comp Cams, whom I was friends with back in Memphis. He built it as a replacement for his 34 roadster before he passed. I bought it from the guy who bought it and the 34 from his widow.
    Don't know the internal specs, but considering its provenance I'm hoping for some decent performance. Never been fired that I can tell.

catdad49, Stogy and AHotRod like this.
  8. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

How can I possibly object? I'm along for the ride!

Stogy and hotrodA like this.
  9. Roothawg

Roothawg

Imitation is the highest form of flattery....I love pickup builds.

10. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Plan meanders and comes together...You certainly have much to admire and lots coming up to enjoy...It's funny I've never noticed a 41 Cowl in it's near naked state...it needs a Hood...:D...I look forward to the continued journey @hotrodA

Big mike 1968, brady1929 and hotrodA like this.
  11. Went by Barillaro's today, and was amazed to see it up on all fours,
    They had mocked up my spare bed and rear fender to get the wheelbase right.

Bronco rear end is mocked up and centered in the fender.

20200813_122721.jpg

Tires are 235/75R15 but wheels are too narrow and wrong backspacing. No brake drums, so they're inboard a little. Plenty of room still.

20200813_122552.jpg

We decided to move the tacked front crossmember forward an inch to center up the front tires.
    20200813_122529.jpg
    20200813_122758 1.jpg

Got the new Posie's spring from Speedy Bill's after two days of chasing UPS!
    Jim had to go pick it up at the UPS store.
    That will correct the shackle droop and raise the front some.

Maybe engine and trans and radiator next week! Stay tooned!
    Maybe better pics than my phone's.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
    catdad49, Deuces, Just Gary and 10 others like this.
  12. Here's the tire with the front crossmember moved forward 1". Looks better, I think.
    Who said an extra inch doesn't matter?

IMG_2838.jpg

Steering arms bent for axle clearance.

IMG_2840.jpg

IMG_2839.jpg

Rear end getting finished up this week. Ready for the steering box, engine and trans.
    STAY TOONED......

13. Here's the lump.

Freshly rebuilt 330 Desoto, cam and C.R. unknown at the moment.
    HHH front cover, SBC water pump, choice of single or dual 4 bbl, Sanderson headers, Mallory flat top.

Going to Barillaro's Monday!
    20200820_202707-1.jpg

Last edited: Aug 22, 2020
    catdad49, The 39 guy, Deuces and 12 others like this.
  14. Grandadeo

Grandadeo

That is pretty. Is it OK to call a HEMI pretty?

Big mike 1968, Deuces, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  15. Got a couple more things mocked up.
    Didn't mount the flex plate and convertor since it all has to come apart for trans rebuild.

HHH trans adapter went right on. A very nice piece!
    20200822_201429-1.jpg

Trans slipped right on with a little wiggling.
    20200822_203752.jpg

Ready to go to BSE Monday
    20200822_204308.jpg

Last edited: Aug 22, 2020
    catdad49, chriseakin, Deuces and 12 others like this.
  16. loudbang

loudbang

Just found your thread will be following along. Now I just have to keep all those pickup build threads straight in my mind :confused: :)

17. 392

Nice build. Following is a no brainer

loudbang likes this.
  18. Thanks!
    There has to be 5 at least.
    Darn belly button trucks!
    All the kool kids want 'em.

19. Made the trek to Knoxville today and dropped off the Desoto, trans, Walker radiator, headers and the other front fender and grille.

Here's a progress update from The Barillaro Speed Emporium.

Rear axle, springs, shocks, and sway bar in.
    IMG_2934.jpg
    IMG_2935.jpg
    IMG_2936.jpg

Front shocks and correct length front spring
    IMG_2939.jpg

And while I was there, we slipped the engine and trans in to get the front mounts figured out. Looks like I may have to move the stock trans dipstick to a firewall mount.
    IMG_2938(1).jpg

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
    catdad49, Frankie47, Deuces and 8 others like this.
  20. Woowee! :D
    Jim got the engine and trans wiggled into its final resting place.
    Doing some mods to the front mounts to give some more room.
    It fits like it was meant to. Plenty of room for the radiator.
    Will have to trim/modify the fender support yoke brace to clear crank pulley.

IMG_2961.jpg

IMG_2962.jpg
    IMG_2963.jpg

catdad49, Deuces, The 39 guy and 9 others like this.
  21. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I thought about the same thing but there is enough room for this LoKar dipper with a block mount attached to the right upper rear valve cover bolt and it worked great while filling the trans using the supplied LoKar funnel which I attached to the end of the trans funnel with a hose clamp.
    upload_2020-8-27_14-50-56.png

catdad49, Deuces, The 39 guy and 3 others like this.
  22. Thanks, BB!
    Jim also suggested that, and I agree. Used one on my roadster back in '87 and it's still going strong. They now make them in black, also.

p.s. check my p.m.to you about lower pulley. Thanks!
    Bill

Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
    catdad49 and loudbang like this.
  23. Jim got the front Hurst replica mounts modified to run out to the frame rails, rather than forward to the stock crossmember holes.
    This cleared up the area in front of the block and still cleared the headers.
    IMG_2967.jpg

catdad49, The 39 guy, Deuces and 6 others like this.
  24. Jim finished up the motor mounts with enough room to get the headers off, and moved the trans mount. Fits like a glove.
    Engine weight is on the spring, so that looks good.
    This heap is loooowwww .
    Next is the steering box and column. Stay tooned.
    upload_2020-9-1_21-55-47.png

catdad49, Deuces, Just Gary and 10 others like this.
  25. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Subscribed!

hotrodA and loudbang like this.
  26. brady1929

brady1929

Looks great.

hotrodA and loudbang like this.
  27. Well, another progress report on this heap.

Jim got the Saginaw box mocked up and cleared the headers and the oil pan, but there was NO WAY that the starter would clear the steering box. Tried the stock exhaust, moved the box forward as much as possible, but no go! Well s**t!!

Eric at Hot Heads to the rescue! He says no problem. I'll send you a right side starter adapter and you send me your left side adapter back. No charge exchange!
    What a way to do business! THANK YOU, ERIC!!

So we're moving right along. Next should be the column.
    Do I use a Chevy van column with repro 40 wheel, neutral start and turn signals, OR the stock 40 column and wheel. cut down, and adapt the column shift to the TH 350?
    Decisions, decisions!

Jam up and jelly tight!
    IMG_3021.jpg

We'll take care of that header collector when the exhaust is run.
    IMG_3022.jpg

catdad49, Deuces, The 39 guy and 5 others like this.
  28. Stopped by BSE and dropped off 40 steering wheel and Hot Heads adapter for right side starter.
    Jim got the trans mount moved forward and finished, steering box position finalized, drag link made, shock brackets tacked in position and pinion angle dialed in. Rolled it outside for some pics in the daylight.
    I decided to modify a 40 column after mocking up the van column, which looked goofy and out of place. Next on the list is the column, radiator mounts and driveshaft. Getting closer to blowing it apart for finish welding, paint and/or powder.
    IMG_3039.jpg
    IMG_3040.jpg
    IMG_3041.jpg
    Got her down in the weeds, right where I wanted.
    Stay tooned!

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
    catdad49, Deuces, Just Gary and 8 others like this.
  29. Congratulations to Mike Barillaro!
    He became a new Daddy again!
    Mom and new son doing well.

catdad49, kidcampbell71, Tim and 4 others like this.
  30. Jim shortened the 40 column, got it hooked up to the box with just one u-joint, and the column mounted to the dash.
    Love the look!
    IMG_3102.jpg
    IMG_3101.jpg
    IMG_3103.jpg

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020