Register now to get rid of these ads!

Not another 36 ford coupe!! Not another build!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jamesville, Nov 9, 2010.

1. -Brent-

-Brent-

Wow... looks great.

2. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

oh my... what a beautiful car this is going to be.... wow.

keep going!!

3. Dat Dirty Rat

Dat Dirty Rat

I stopped hooking up with girls on MySpace for similar reasons...lmao

It was a great looking car & going to be even better when your done!!!

4. this car is going to be CLEAN.

5. Little Terry

Little Terry

Looking really nice. A black and chrome engine is one of my favourite things (of course if you need two more cylinders than me then that's up to you ;))

Well done from the UK. I know how hard it can be to find some of those American parts.

6. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Engine looks great man!!! I can't believe how fast it came together. Looks like you're well on you way. I finally put my engine in last weekend and ran into a few snags like oil pan clearance, tail mount on trans and now the clutch shaft. Grrrrrr.

7. jamesville

jamesville
    from Copehagen

so was your oil pan hitting the steering rods or wishbone???

what do you mean by 'tail mount on trans' ??

i look forward to all the problems too!!

Last edited: Nov 25, 2010
  8. jamesville

jamesville
    from Copehagen

BRAKES

Today i started to install the brake kit i got form Richard at 'Early V8'. It is very beautifully made and i had zero problems, its pretty much plug and play. It also helps as you get very detailed instructions. I choose this brake system because other that drilling two small 5/16 holes in my frame, i don't have to do any cutting or chopping to the frame, and as my frame is untouched i would kind of like to keep it that way. Also i get to keep the battery box and original 36 pedals which are in very good condition. All i have to do now is run the lines.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The other thing i did today was paint and install my Hurst motor mount which fit like a glove. I don't know if the guy at Hurst was the best welder in the world but i guess it has a 'Garage Made' feel. Tomorrow its time for the Lincolns!!!

[​IMG]

9. jamesville

jamesville
    from Copehagen

I love christmas, but it really gets in the way of building hot rods. i have had to spend a lot of time shopping, decorating etc etc. But i have made some good progress, i have finished running all the brakes lines and fuel lines.

[​IMG]

Spent most of last Sunday putting the gearbox back together, It is one of the things i am most excited about is taking a drive with the new Lincoln Gears.

[​IMG]

My next job was to strip down the steering box, and replace the races, bearings, and gaskets. now it turns beautifully. oh and i painted it.

[​IMG]

Had a spare hour after work on tuesday and put on the rear shocks, the brackets are just spot weld until i take apart the rear end (last big job).

[​IMG]

ok so this was a job i was dreading a bit, but half is done now. i had to do the old filling the holes on Bendix Lincoln backing plates so they will fit on the the 36 spindles. had to order the kit from speedway. well the first one came out great and the 41 pick-up drums fit perfectly, so i am very happy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

one thing you may have to be careful with is the location of the alternator...there is not alot of room between the fenders for it to fit too far out.

looks great so far, i have a 283 in the garage that I plan on buidling up someday so good stuff there.

You should see the homemade brackets mounted to the rear of my car mating the 57 chevy rear to the 36 spring hangers and homemade ladder bar.

11. jamesville

jamesville
    from Copehagen

yes i am worried about that too. my plan was to work it out when its a problem if you know what i mean.

and lets see the brackets ???

12. SLAMIT

SLAMIT

Wow. this car seriously rules. I love what you are doing and how quickly you work.

Are you gonna clean and paint the chassis as well. I love the amount of detail that has gone into everything else.

Great Work!!!

13. jamesville

jamesville
    from Copehagen

yes i will blast and paint. i always like to fabricate everything and get it all mounted and checked before i paint etc.

14. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

That's probably the best advise I could give after putting my '35 together hahah!!! Seems like I paint and assemble then disassemble because something doesn't fit yadayadayada.

By the way, my engine is in and it fits like a glove! Trans is all hooked up and clutch it working properly now.

15. jamesville

jamesville
    from Copehagen

hi jj,

what are you doing with your alternator??

16. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

17. A long time ago, Weedetr street rod had a dual exhaust system ready to go for a 35-40 Ford w/SBC and rams horn exhaust. The driver side had a specially bent pipe to go around the steering box - I installed this system on my first 40 Ford. You might check with them to see if you can just buy this one portion of the exhaust system.

18. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

In this pics, it looks like no repairs were made to your front crossmember James. I'd almost guarantee that the engine should slip in there no problem.
    [​IMG]

19. Screamin J Pito

Screamin J Pito

Man! Love the car! And the progress you're making is awesome. Cant wait to see how this goes. Subscribed!

20. oldfardyfode

oldfardyfode

Man ! "Jamesville" That is a beauty, at first glance....I have been toying with trading our 'really nice' All steel 34 2dr for something 'really nice'...because I enjoy trading and driving something different now and then.....Wow !!! This situation makes me rethink the whole idea....I'm getting too old to get into really big redo !!! Cj.

21. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

this is what I have with a 350 and rams horns works great

for the alt i have a alan grove type of bracket that mounts the alt tight

22. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

here is a pic before I redid some of the motor and you cn see how tight it is.

23. cookiemonster131

cookiemonster131

damn that is a bitchin coupe! my dad did that one time with a motor. he said he would start it up and it would loose oil pressure after about 2 minutes. he did it 3 or 4 times and took the intake back off that he had just put on. found a red shop rag, HA!

this car is going to be so bitchin with a 283 and that raked stance!

24. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

Anyone from AZ, CA, or TX missing a 36 3window? Nice car and good luck!

25. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Jamesville! Did you ever figure out what 'kicked' the rear end out of the center of the wheel well? Been bugging me since you started the thread!
    Your wishbones & hangers looked correct, and the '36 driveline was hooked up. What was wrong???
    Beautiful job, by the way.

26. rottenrods

rottenrods

Wow ,nice car. I like the black and silver engine

27. jamesville

jamesville
    from Copehagen

i think that they simply placed the body to far back on the frame. well it does not matter anymore, everything is new (new to the car) under the body now.

The only thing from mexico will be the body, grill, hood and bumpers.

I NEED SOME 36 FRONT FENDERS IN GOOD CONDITION PLEASE.

28. jamesville

jamesville
    from Copehagen

Hey guys do you know if Weedetr still sell this part, i could not find it on their web site. i emailed them but with no reply.

29. howco

howco

Great lesson, never buy a car until you put it up on the hoist and give a good inspection......By the way, this happens in the USA as much or more than Mexico.....
    Poverty makes people do strange things....