Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Not an Ardun - Stephens (Stevens) Flathead Conversion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by WestCoastChris, Jun 10, 2015.

1. WestCoastChris

WestCoastChris
    from Vista

This amazing engine built by Jimmy Stevens set a record of 182 mph first time out at El Mirage last November (XXF/FCC). The White Lightning Competition Coupe fielded by Lattin Stevens will be first off the line at El Mirage June 13, 2015!

20141119_100110.jpg

Stogy and thirtytwo like this.
  2. aircap

aircap

Tell us all about it!

Stogy likes this.
  3. WestCoastChris

WestCoastChris
    from Vista

4. That is cool! Are the heads original Stephens heads from the late 40s early 50s or a new similar design? Very cool, very fast!

Stogy likes this.

5. WestCoastChris

WestCoastChris
    from Vista

Everybody who knows a bit about fast flatheads has probably seen an Ardun. A rarity is the Stephens Conversion (Denver). Well known landspeed flathead record holder Jimmy Stevens spent about a year building this beauty, using the Stephens Head and custom making all the valve train components and new custom covers. A must see at El Mirage & Bonneville this year! Currently in the Lattin Stevens Austin #69 car.

Stogy and Jimmy B like this.
  6. WestCoastChris

WestCoastChris
    from Vista

7. All I can say is WOW!!

Stogy likes this.
  8. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

For those of you who don't know, Jimmy Stevens flathead Ford is one of two that have run over 300 at Bonneville. Damn fast for a flathead Ford.

Stogy likes this.
  9. WestCoastChris

WestCoastChris
    from Vista

10. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I'd seen the Dixon & Ardun conversions but never heard of this brand before.

Stogy likes this.
  11. flatheadmurre

flatheadmurre

Is it a one off solid billet head ?

12. Theres a couple of pics in the Clymer "How to hop up Ford & Mercury V8 Engines" of the original(I assume) Stephens -Frenzel heads......Jimmy Stephens is a relative?........whatever, he is a damn fine engine builder either way......am mightly impressed..........and its good to learn something.............thanks, Andy Douglas

Stogy likes this.
  13. Might be a flathead block, but I wouldn't call it a flathead engine.

14. 5window

5window

I don't think it's this car, or this engine. But, your point is still valid.

15. So how does the Class placement work? Is it just a cubic inch class at this point. It can't be a Flathead now with valves in the head. Does it go experimental?
    The Wizzard

16. a bloke

a bloke

*2 off...

Pinstriper40 likes this.
  17. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

True. But the 300 MPH motor I spoke of is a Flathead. So, what's your point? IMG_0842.jpg IMG_0843.jpg

550Coupe and HEMI32 like this.
  18. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

It runs in XXF class. Which is for flathead Ford and Merc blocks with after market OHV conversion heads. Or a flathead of over 325 cid. Better to go with the OHV heads.

HEMI32 likes this.
  19. banjorear

banjorear

Dang, that's cool. Curious, is there a reason for the sheet metal valve covers? I may be thinking of Dixon's, but I thought they had a cover similar to Arduns.

20. Got it, thanks.

21. WestCoastChris

WestCoastChris
    from Vista

A recent casting from the original Stephens cast.......yep....only made 2

22. WestCoastChris

WestCoastChris
    from Vista

......gotta keep the dirt out somehow! But seriously, Jim Stevens fabricates or machines most all of these parts in a little shop out back of his house. No CAD programs, no CNC.

23. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Great looking engine! I hope it runs just as good as it looks. There is some beautiful machine work there!

24. My point is, I thought you were talking about a Flattie with OHV conversion. Thought it was obvious.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
  25. One of many badass vehicles that make the trip to the dry lakes more than worth it!:cool:

26. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I thought when I mentioned a Flathead Ford twice it would be obvious I was talking about a flathead Ford. Not to everyone I guess.

aircap likes this.
  27. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

I have seen ads in Hot Rod Magazine from the early 50's for Stephens Heads conversons but never had never seem one till now.

28. 296ardun

296ardun

I read the June results for the El Mirage meet on the SCTA homepage (I tried to recheck, but they are now having problems with the page)...but noticed that Lattin-Stephens car had broken its class record, turned something like 162 on a 150-something record; this for the vintage CC class (when the page comes back I'll double check)

So is that record with this engine?

29. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

The flathead vintage gas comp coupe record that they held was 161.454. i don't know what class the OHV motor will run in.

296ardun likes this.
  30. WestCoastChris

WestCoastChris
    from Vista

Set the XXF/VFCC at the July El Mirage meet, they run straight alcohol - no nitro, 181.88.
    Looking for 200 plus at Bonneville........