Register now to get rid of these ads!

Not all 322 Nailheads were created equal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 39ChevyRatRod, Jun 30, 2009.

1. 39ChevyRatRod

39ChevyRatRod

I am new to the Nailhead world and I learned something new today, and I was not happy to find out. I just bought a 54 Buick Super and the 322 in it was hurt quite badly so I set out to find another engine. I found one very close to home,a 1953 322, so talked to the owner and he claimed before he pulled the engine, some 5 years ago. he had it running and remembered it had a slight miss but ran good. Well I made a deal and brought it home, I pulled the heads and found that yea it should have had " a slight miss", 4 badly burned exhaust valves, ran good my A. Well I thought no problem pull a few valves from the old engine grind the seats and faces and bingo I'm in, no such luck. It turns out that the 53 engine has a unique piston and combustion chamber design and as such the valves are about 1/4" shorter than my 54 or later heads and I cant put the 54 heads on because the pistons hit the 54 combustion chambers, so I guess now that I am finished ranting what I need to know is where can I find replacement exhaust valves for a 53 322 Nailhead? Any help will be appreciated, I can even live with 4 good used valves that I can resurface so look around and see if you can help a brother out. Thanks

2. 49coupe

49coupe

There are a lot of differences between nailheads. I pretty much found out most of the differences between early and late 401 and 425s though trial and many errors.:mad:

Russ Martin is a nailhead expert and helped me with parts and knowledge. He's a great guy and has forgotten more about nailheads than I know. I'd be surprised if he didn't have the parts you needed or where to get them.

Here's his contact details:
    Russell Martin
    CENTERVILLE AUTO REPAIR
    Grass Valley. 530-272-1564
    [email protected]
    WWW.nailheadbuick.com
    www.centervilleautorepair.com
    <!-- / message -->

3. donut29

donut29
    from canton MI

Yup get ahold of Russ he is the man when it comes to nailheads

4. M.Edell

M.Edell

Known Russ for years, he lived in Fremont all his life until recently.That is was one Sick man when it comes to Nailheads..LOL..