Register now to get rid of these ads!

nostalgia dragster

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by speedbump, Dec 23, 2010.

1. speedbump

speedbump

maybe someone can help me out. i'm in the process of putting together an early nostalgia front eng. dragster. my question is what trans to use and if i use a stick can you use high gear only. did they shift them back in the day. thanks mike

2. casper

casper

1939 three speed ... remove 1st gear and reverse so all you have is 2nd and high.

3. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Depends on how much power ya plan on putting down...
    If ya only want high gear there is no reason to even have a trans....

4. Church Key

Church Key

There are few dragsters and my altered are running Muncie 3 speed trans, up here in New England. The light weight dragsters run 2nd and high. The transmissions came in 58 to 64 GM cars and trucks. They are plentiful, cheap, and hold up well. Checkout the HI LO dragster build thread here on the HAMB for some detailed photos.

5. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

You need a LoT of torque to run high gear only. Or very narrow rear tires. If you run a trans Cad side shifts were popular running second and high.

6. Kustom Chief

Kustom Chief

I am running a 57 chevy 3 speed with 1st and rev removed. It is a standard Lynwood option.