Register now to get rid of these ads!

Nostalgia Drag Racers With Magnesium Wheels

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hot Rod Willys, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

How many of you nostalgia drag racers run magnesium rims on the rear and dont screw your slicks? If so do you run tubes? Like most of us we dont want to drill our vintage wheels but if you have power what are you doing? Let us all know what each of you do. I have done it several different ways.

2. My car runs 11's and I usually need to replace some screws when I change slicks. (bent) The mags were drilled and taped when I got them from way back. I use 10/32 stainless tapered button head screws and point them. I am pretty sure you will have to use slicks as I have heard that the Magnesium will allow the air to escape after time. If they are wide, I don't think drilling them will affect their value, and if you spin a slick and wall it, they won't be worth anything trashed. My 2 cents.

3. snaptwo

snaptwo

I think if you get into the current rule book and SFI , top fuel and NFC require bead locks . They were pushing for getting away from magnesium alltogether because of the fire danger. So many aluminum repops are being made and they are one hell of a lot easier to keep up.

4. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

if they aren't wide use another wheel when racing and screw it----if they are see above

5. big vic

big vic
    from cary il

i got s guy here in cary il with a killer 55 chevy that had real mag wheels and he hooked so hard it twisted the center out of one broke all the spokes in half

6. TomP64

TomP64
    from Vancouver

My stick car leaves as hard as any and i didn't screw (up) my wheels. If they slip it isn't much and i run tubes only because the sidewalls leak. They don't move much. If you run tubeless there is no need to worry.

You can also rough up the bead seat on the rim and tire with sandpaper to help them grip. Use soap to lube the tire to install and when it dries it sticks.

7. Dago 88

Dago 88
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A coupe, blown & injected SBC powerglide, 8.84 @ 153 mph with 16x11 magnesium 5 spoke Americans with M&H slicks not screwed, did not move.

Attached Files:

8. We used to run inner liners with about 50lbs to stop the slicks turning on the rims. Don't they do that any more???

9. speedyb

speedyb
    from socal

My last street strip Nova ran 10.50s w/ 140 60 ft ,12 psi air no screws tubless,my old super stock racer buddys go alot faster tubless w/o screws

10. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

<
    < NO SCREWS, 12 x 15 wheels, 32" tall tires, 5.75 PSI pressure, 1.19 60-foots
    <

11. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

You guys running no screws are you running tubes? I never ran tubes if no screws, with magnesium I paint the insides of the rims except where the bead is and coat the insides of the tires with dishwashing liquid and never have any leak downs..........well, not to speak of. I am not talking about for months. If you run aluminum wheels on a vintage drag car then you just dont get it. As far as breakage with magnesium wheels, they were cracked or damaged before the center broke out, mags were on fuelers and funnys up till the early to mid 70's and still used in lots of motor sports. I have used them into the 8's with no screws but mark the tires and rims and they do move a bit on high HP cars. Just checking feedback from others as to what others are doing.

12. ShakeyPuddin55

ShakeyPuddin55

Since the slicks can slip a small amount on the first couple of passes, I also do not run tubes for fear of shearing a valve stem. I paint the insides also, no tubes, no screws. I put my cars on jack stands when not in use since the slicks leak down and I don't want to continually fill them with air which adds moisture. I do run tubes in my mag fronts.

13. rotten johnny

rotten johnny
    from Mi

Rubber and Adhesive glue works for me,rubber glue works well

14. FEDER

FEDER

Same here, old American TT no screws no tubes High Nines no problem.
    Hey Shakey I saw You on Pass time the other night. Love the 2 wheel launches with Yer 55 Fed

15. Judd

Judd

An old dirt track guy told me to run the slicks on my Comet one way for a couple of runs then switch sides and the slicks would slip then slip back and stay, Worked on mine?