Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Nostalgia AA/Gassers True Heads up Racing

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1933t, Jan 16, 2013.

1. 1933t

1933t
    from Buffalo NY

Tom Good pics who it that handsome devil in the truck giving the finger
    :eek:, I mean peace sign Marty LOL:D Looks like a behind the scenes view of the Gasser Files vey nice

2. It's my son Jason being just 10 at the time given the honors of steering the truck back to the stable plus flashing the V sign. This was just after a photo session for Drag Racing magazine in the shut down area.

3. 1933t

1933t
    from Buffalo NY

Tom I thought it was Marty I was being a smart ass :rolleyes: that must have been a big thrill for him the truck still looks just as nice as when You & Marty were out have a GOOOOOOD time infact not to long ago I was @Jeffs & a few of the guys were very impressed by Marty's awesome work

Trouble

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  4. 1933t

1933t
    from Buffalo NY

Few More AA/GS cars from the 60's enjoy

Champ? ;)

Attached Files:

5. 9sectruck

9sectruck

Hey Trouble does Ken Kull still have the Hill Bros Coupe, I remember seeing it at the first Gasser Reunion at Thompson when he wrestled the car down the 1/4 mile, I thought he'd just brought it there to show it but he sure proved me wrong........that thing was a handful.

Ray

6. 1933t

1933t
    from Buffalo NY

Hi Ray I have not heard from Ken in a bit I hear he gets out now & then but I have not spoke to him in a bit That is one cool car the Hill Brothers LOVE IT

Attached Files:

7. 9sectruck

9sectruck

Yeah, would like to see his Red Baron II pickup run with you guys too..

8. 1933t

1933t
    from Buffalo NY

He may pop up one day & want to race :eek: LOL he is a fast RACER & a pain at times but who isnt In the mid 90's we were at Indy helping him hake a few runs in the Hill car I remember saying to my self I would give my left nut to have that car It is the cooolest thing to me. He may pop up. Say Hi toThe Wife & Jon if you would

Trouble

Now this is a nose high gasser

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  9. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

That's Lamar Walden's car--steel body with a glass nose, it's running a blown, injected 409. Lamar played with the 409s as soon as they came out, and campaigned this Willys with one.
    He told me on one pass, the blower sneezed and ended up wedged in the windshield opening right in front of him.
    The last he heard, the car is a street rod in Florida. Well, the body is, anyway.
    The engine was at a house (or shop... I don't remember), and in the late '60s or early '70s when he moved, he just left it--blower, injector and all!
    In '69, he had was factory-backed by Chevy, taking delivery of one of the '69 ZL1 Camaros, and after it was outlawed, an iron-block, aluminum-head COPO, and after that he had a successful career in Pro Stock.

-Brad

10. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Lamar is still building race engines in Doraville--he opened his present location in '68. He's doing all-aluminum 409s, and real high power LS engines. Everything else in between, of course.
    And he still loves the gassers--he jumped on sponsoring my Gasser class at the Gear Jam.

-Brad

11. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

I'm not sure how many years he raced it... I'll ask him.

Dyno Don used to work out of his shop in the '60s and '70s, as did Hubert Platt and Sneaky Pete.
    Dyno was still there when Lamar was P/S racing a Vega, and Dyno was racing a Ford.

Yeah, he definitely knows what he's doing. Him and his son Rob have one of the first Fastest Steet Car Shootout jackets, and have gone over 200 with a 409.

-Brad

12. 1933t

1933t
    from Buffalo NY

Holt Shi@ thats Fast I f you do ask him how long he raced the Nose high 33Thanks Brad

Trouble

13. micky69

micky69
    from Ohio

Does he still have the 5/8 scale 62? I remember them running the super Chevy stuff with it. He is the man on 409's. I didnt know he had a willys gasser, cool stuff!

14. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Yeah, "the little car" is in his garage... they talk about bringing it out of retirement, but have a lot of other irons in the fire. In the early '70s, he had a bad-ass flip-top, center-steer Vega gasser too...

As I said earlier, Lamar got one of the original '69 ZL1 Camaros direct from Chevrolet. White, with a blue interior (the only one with that combo). His replacement COPO was also white with a blue interior.
    The ZL1 was most recently owned by Reggie Jackson, and it's now been sold and is in a private museum, next to the COPO!
    What's more remarkable is that Lamar was also one of the recipients for the 69 2012 COPO drag car from Chevrolet--again, white. There's a pic on his website of all three of his Camaros together.

His shop is my favorite place in the world.

-Brad

15. micky69

micky69
    from Ohio

16. NostalgiaAAGassers

NostalgiaAAGassers
    from Canada

Bump for the Blue Suede Cruise at Norwalk just a couple days away. Don't miss some intense, heads up AA/GS racing!!

17. southern thunder

southern thunder

The vega pro stock Lamar ran was Barry Setzers (sp?) of funny car fame. and the flip top vega belonged to Joe Yarini, that started out on his 40 willys gasser frame, the frame was replaced with a tube frame. the name of the willys and vega both were " pronto". someone correct me on this if I'm wrong. I helped paint the vega, and its been along time.

18. Project Paladin

Project Paladin
    BANNED

Good looking deal. We need more true heads up racing.

19. NostalgiaAAGassers

NostalgiaAAGassers
    from Canada

20. NostalgiaAAGassers

NostalgiaAAGassers
    from Canada

US 131 Motorsports Park "Funny Car Nationals" and St. Thomas Raceway Park Wiseco Hot Rod Reunion results press releases below:

http://nostalgiaaagassers.com

21. Glad to see you guys come out to St Thomas after running in Michigan the night before..It added to the program,BIG time..

Lets plan on doing some "stuff' together next yr..I see it as a win/win..
    We are planning a run to North Bay next yr.Long haul for us guys south of the 401..

All the best ;
    Rick

22. bullis

bullis

Get Dave Newell in! He lives in east Aurora. He was looking for their ole Austin

23. bullis

bullis

I know those guys from Denny and Dave from East Aurora and south Wales. I saw Dave and he talked about getting involved with AA/GS cars again. Those guys are real motor heads. They had some nice rides along the way.

24. bullis

bullis

The first picture on the left is funny. Ralph Ellison (middle), davey (left) and Denny (right). Where is Jimmy?

25. OldColt

OldColt

I personally like the way one of the southeastern gasser groups is applying an index to heads up racing. If you run under the index you still win and come back to be handicapped by the amount you ran under. Because the eliminations are run "Chicago Style", the car that lost to the under index car gets to comes back for the next round and stays in the competition. The index is set at a level the top few cars are capable of.

--- Steve ---

26. 65 GTO

65 GTO

How fast do you need to run and what are the rules???????

27. rotten johnny

rotten johnny
    from Mi

You guys put on a great show at Martin, very good and well worth watching.
    My buddy was so impressed he was big time starstruck, espailly the junkyard willys car...... that is untill he approched Jim and asked a few questions..........Jims attitude spoiled that real quick.
    Your cars and show are relly good but a lil people skills were in order I thought......not bashing but tellin it as it were.

28. bullis

bullis

Probably said the Bills still suck!

29. drumyn29

drumyn29

that junkyard dog is the coolest!!!

30. NostalgiaAAGassers

NostalgiaAAGassers
    from Canada