Register now to get rid of these ads!

NOS Kinmonts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by the-rodster, Dec 12, 2006.

1. the-rodster

the-rodster

2. Skirv

Skirv

They don't look NOS to me. They look used. There was an NOS set on ebay a few months back. An Aussie hamber ended up with them.

3. seymour

seymour
    from PNW

I thought they were either repopping or going to repop those, weren't they?

4. FWIW, Kinmonts are the same functionally as Imperial discs from the early fifties.
    Possibly the parts interchange (cylinder kits, pad, etc.)
    Interesting seeing them apart as pics, the drawings in Motor can sometimes not give the whole impression.
    Cosmo

5. Bugman

Bugman

Ok, i see all the pieces, but I'm not getting it. How do they work?

6. alchemy

alchemy

Those might look used because the hub is an original Ford part, and it was probably used before installation. I bet the iron parts were never painted and stored poorly.

The cylinder kit is a simple one-half of a regular standard size kit, but none of the other parts are the same as any other manufacturer's (Chrysler).

They work very similar to a clutch on a transmission. Picture the fiber-disc (clutch disc) spinning, but held by the outer edge instead of the inner. The pressure plate clamps onto it from both sides, the backing plate (flywheel) and the lever-fed ring (pressure plate).

7. the-rodster

the-rodster

And where would you find replacement discs/pads???

Rich

8. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

You don't - you have them relined like all the old brakes were meant to be... ;)

9. alchemy

alchemy

Clutch lining is used on the discs (rings).

10. Different from 49-55 Imperial discs (which, BTW, were four wheel discs), but I think those Kinmonts are missing something. I see the disc and pressure plate, but where is the flywheel?? I see nothing that looks like it would spin with the wheel for the disc to press against to stop the car.
    Or am I missing something??
    Cosmo

11. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Never seen a pair in person & this is the first time I've seen pics of them apart. Looks like the clutch disk outer splines fit into the aluminum scooped cover & rotate with the wheel/hub assy. They then get pressed between the backing plate (one of the pics shows the inside & it appears it has a surface) & the actuating assembly.

But I'm guessing based solely on the pics... ;)

12. alchemy

alchemy

Cosmo, the part that spins with the wheel is the ring with teeth, shown in the center of the bottom pics. To assemble the brakes, the backing plate is bolted to the spindle, the toothed ring is set up against the backing plate, the leveraged plate/ring is bolted on and sandwiches the toothed ring, then the hat/hub is slid over the spindle and engages the teeth on the fiber ring. The fiber ring kind of wiggles around until the hat is installed. There are a few small spring clips around the inside of the hat to keep it from wiggling once the hat is installed.

13. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Ahhh...so I guessed right! ;) Looks like a motorcycle clutch....

Also doesn't look like a lot of surface area - wonder how well they really work.

14. alchemy

alchemy

I haven't had mine hooked up, but Ken Gross told me the set on his roadster work OK. Not great, but OK. I've heard this from other sources too.

If a guy is used to modern discs he'll probably be really disappointed. But if he's used to '40 Ford brakes it might be an improvement.

15. attitudor

attitudor
    from Finland

16. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Wait 'til Bob Wilson gets his repros done next year...

17. Dat Dirty Rat

Dat Dirty Rat

Ssshhh...i was watching those,,,now everyboy knows..DAMNIT!
    HAHAHAHha...lol

18. attitudor

attitudor
    from Finland

19. Avgas

Avgas

Morning this is an old post but I may have the Kinmonts your talking about in Aussie! Is there a Kinmnont go to guy that has the knowledge ? Cheers from Aussie

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

20. alchemy

alchemy

Doug Clem in Nevada

Avgas likes this.
  21. Avgas

Avgas

Thanks alchemy, is he on the H.A.M.B. & if so what is his "Name"? Cheers Wayne

22. Avgas

Avgas

Thanks alchemy, is he on the H.A.M.B. & if so what is his "Name"? Cheers Wayne

23. alchemy

alchemy

Don't think he's a HAMBer.

24. Several sets of orig/NOS Kinmonts have been rebuilt by Roy Brizio's shop in recent times..........

25. alchemy

alchemy

Wow! Johnson's has an unlimited supply of NOS Kinmonts.

WiredSpider likes this.
  26. The JHRS is irrelevant when it comes to real Kinmonts. Aside from maybe the adjuster nut on the back of the backing plate there is zero interchangeability. Those things are a disgrace

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
  27. JHRS are glorified disk brakes, nothing to do with Kinmonts or even resembling them.

28. Wilson Welding " ... coming soon" .... for a while anyway. Hope he is in process of still. If one can reasonably fab' a new and improved ..... it'd be fun to see his version of.

==>
    http://www.wilsonweldingandmachine.com/

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017