Register now to get rid of these ads!

northern engine kits

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hubnut, Feb 2, 2006.

1. Anyone using their master kits for sbc? Rockys thread on sbc lifters got me to thinkin on this one, I have a buddy that used one in his 56 belair and it seemed to be a good kit. He bought his with the flattops and cam upgrade, so it's basically stock, and he's put a bizillion miles on it.

I'm going to be putting one together for my 57, but parts quality is pretty important since this one will be quite a bit stouter than his, so does anyone have any input? Horror strories?

2. chevtrux

chevtrux

Ive used probley 15 kits over the last few years. never any trouble nice parts nice price and they ship next day as a rule

3. Stafford

Stafford
    from N. Georgia

I've used several of them and haven't had any problems. Shipping is prompt and the parts have always been right. I'm running a385 in my pickup thats been going for 9 years and no problems. I bought the stroker kit and updated with better gaskets and a roller chain and other things like that. I've run their master engine kits just the way they come and it's all been good. Next time I need one I'll buy from them again. Now these haven't been hi horsepower engines , good dependable drivers. I like dealing with them. I order on them on line and haven't had any problems there either. Good luck, Stafford :)

4. gregga

gregga

I used the performance kit on a .030 over 350. Bought the Scat crank and Aero heads and spent less on the engine than a TRW kit from NAPA.

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. man-a-fre

man-a-fre

used 12 350 kits for guys in the last 3 yrs all holding up well,i always upgrade to the fel pro k2600 gaskets ,moly rings and somtimes the cam.Very quality kit for the money.

6. AHotRod

AHotRod

Hubnut,
    Northern is one of our largest customers in the USA. Excellant folks and great service. Just upgrade your kit to FelPro and Sealed Power components for a few dollars more.

7. Cool beans guys! I'm gonna run with 'em. Anyone got any suggestions on a cam that will work well with a tunnel ram setup?

8. man-a-fre

man-a-fre

Might wanna step up the compression or use a cam thats gonna pull some vacuum if your set on the tunnell ram.,

9. AHotRod

AHotRod

Hubnut,
    The key to making a tunelram work on a street engine is the idle/emulsion curcuits of the carburators. You'll need to run both carbs at the same time, not progressive. Set the intial timing @ 12-14 degrees BTDC and get the total timing of 36 degrees in by 2000 rpm. You can run what ever you want as far as cam timing, been there, done it. If the carbs are not modified in the idle/emulsion curcuits, it will run terrible not matter what camshaft you have in it. Our Speed Pro #CS186R camshaft works awesume in a agressive street engine. It has .480 lift, 287 degrees of duration (230 @ .050) and a 109 degree centerline. Northern can put this right into your kit for you. Just be certain that your valve springs are our #VS1590 to control the camshaft correctly.

10. I've used their 350 kits a bunch and have built most engines for customers with a warranty in place. Never had any comebacks at all.
    Nice part is they will substitute a performance cam into the kit giving you credit for the price of the stocker.
    As Glen says upgrade on the gaskets and Valve seals etc and you will get the best of both worlds -good price and quality.
    The cast pistons have "Hecho En Mexico":) on them -but I personally run the dogshit outa my stuff and have never torn one up yet!