Register now to get rid of these ads!

NORTH WEST!! whos up for some speed trials on a real dry lake?!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 29hotrod55kustom, Sep 20, 2007.

1. 29hotrod55kustom

29hotrod55kustom

hmmm due to the composition of our lake bed being different from say el mirage, perhaps dusting the course with water and dragging it would work or at least be beneficial?

2. twinturbo496

twinturbo496
    from Cypress

I know someone who might be able to suggest a cheap, effective way to temporarily compact this surface. If he has any good suggestions, I will post them.

3. Anybody know what the BLM will have to say about "prepping" the race surface? ... is watering, dragging, and/or compacting the course even an option in these "environmentally friendly" and PC times?

4. Bullington

Bullington
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I've been on Alvord several times. It really depends on what type of winter/Spring it has. Last time I was there you could bounce a basketball off the ground. Not sure on the combo you need.

We can check it late next summer.

5. 29hotrod55kustom

29hotrod55kustom

i will get a hold of the BLM and find out what can be done as far as surface alteration when the time comes, like bullington said, it depends on the previous season.

6. edgeabilly

edgeabilly

I was at El Mirage all day Sunday 10/26/09 and if you guys can pull this off you're in for a good time!!!

7. I drove (a pickup) on Black Rock when Breedlove and Noble were there. As I recall, the surface was nothing like what Alvord appears to be. Black Rock is low alkalai; when you break through it turns to sand. They had to lay out and prep a different lane for each pass Thrust SSC made because the surface was unusable afterward. Hope that doesn't happen with Alvord. Might be worth going out there and driving back and forth a couple of miles and see what happens. Hate to see all that work go into setting up a meet and prepping the course only to find out that it's done after the first few passes.

8. 29hotrod55kustom

29hotrod55kustom

just got home from school, little suprised not much has happened since i left. but yea, hopefully an early summer late spring trip would yield a good outcome as to determining the surface quality and how to approach it. i have faith that the BLM will have stats and info regarding the subject as well.

9. remember, I went there late in Oct. after a long dry spell. Every thing was sun baked. If you look where the road spills out on the lake the tire tracks are hard packed as is the ground under my truck and trailer (16,000 Lbs.) When I dug down to moist dirt it was solid not slimey. The people I talked to said the center gets soft for a few days after a rain. I don't speculate so next spring will tell, I would plan a gathering in early June after a week of dry weather. As for the dirt there, Why not ask a farmer or thier county extension agent about soil compaction, nobody knows dirt like farmers.

10. 29hotrod55kustom

29hotrod55kustom

bump for boredom.

while im here maybe i will touch on the subject of insurance, does any one know what company's cover events like this?

11. Other than not spilling oil or antifreeze I don't see a problem, central and eastern oregon is a lot like Montana only with milder winters and less sheep;).

12. pinman 39

pinman 39

Hey i'm in boise and this is close for us in this area and their are several of us that would be interested keep us posted

13. 29hotrod55kustom

29hotrod55kustom

that being said, i have a guy who is going to come up with a kick-ass hazmat plan for us. Ren from the chec's knows a guy in the woodland or vancouver fire dept. and he is going to collaborate with him to make sure its air tight.

14. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

i only know that they came to where i lived & tried for months to compact the dry lake for 600mph+ , @ could not get it safe enuff . now i do agree that not all dry lakes are the same . the south has a different texture to their lakes than the north has . most dry lakes in the north are alkali , which will not compact .
    the "black rock" desert is awesome for 600mph+ . it is hard & miles of it . thats why they set the landspeed record there . this was when the salt flats were to wet to run on .
    just what i know for the people that tried . hope yours wqorks out for you ........ thx .. steve

15. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

the white crusty stuff in the top pix is the alkali that is no good for 600mph+ . be careful of it ...... steve

16. Jay Rush

Jay Rush

I don't think anybody is gonna be getting anywhere close to 6 bills so I think it will be ok

17. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

I dont even think i'd streach the truth that far

18. 29hotrod55kustom

29hotrod55kustom

hahaha i fully agree with jay, honestly thats the reason why we dont have any classes for fuel, alchy, or blown cars yet. keeping the speeds low at first, getting a feel for the bed and allowing for a solid building point.

but, where is this black rock or what ever that you are speaking of???

19. 29hotrod55kustom

29hotrod55kustom

never mind, gotta love wikipedia lol. hmm you know, if we get this going maybe a few years down the road we could host a second thing there. so like SCTA has their el mirage and their bonneville.. well us northerners could have our alvord and black rock? lol thoughts?

20. 29hotrod55kustom

29hotrod55kustom

womp womp womp waaaaaaahhhhh.

bump, anything new anyone?

21. 29hotrod55kustom,

While I appreciate your passion for getting a "speed trials" event started at the Alvord Desert Lake, I'm am curious why you are so reluctant to run your car(s) at Bonneville? As others have mentioned, the U.S.F.R.A. (http://www.saltflats.com) has 130mph & 150mph Club classes that would suite your club cars just fine.

While I understand that El Mirage is a long haul for you guys up in the northwest, the Bonneville Salt Flats (near Wendover, Utah) is only a 3 hour longer drive for you than Alvord Lake (near Fields, Oregon) {Aloha, Oregon to Alvord Lake (~9 hours, 9 minutes) and Aloha, Oregon to the salt flats (~11 hours, 59 minutes)}

Again, not trying to discourage anyone from organizing a meet at Alvord ... I'm just curious about your personal motives and thinking behind holding such an event (that you yourself have basically admitted will be both financially and logistically difficult to pull off).

I apologize if you have already answered my questions in previous posts ... I fully admit that I haven't read every post in this thread.

22. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

People have looked at running speed trials at Black Rock and the BLM was against it. Story was that there is something called Silver Worm that lives there that is not to baddly bothered by the occasional jet car or giant wierd get togeather but would be endangered by SCTA type speed trials. So that's tha deal.

23. pinman 39

pinman 39

You are undrtaking alot .but i know several idaho racers and rodders in the boise area that have an interest.
    Cool !

24. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

HEMI32 I think the deal is some of us just want a closer place to run with a more laid back atmophere and more traditional cars

25. Understood ... more power to ya!

26. Probably will run my car at b-ville but need a place closer to home to test and tune before paying 400 clams to run there, what I have seen of speed week in the past 10 years is that the big bucks have taken over. USFRA"s World of speed seems to still be geared twards the amature racer and that is who I will run with once the car is proven. The botom line is My sponsor is my wallet and 250 miles is closer and cheaper than 700.

27. That's what I wanted to hear. It sounds to me like the surface really differs at different times of the year.

28. 29hotrod55kustom

29hotrod55kustom

mainly, i want to do it for the average joe. something small time and enjoyable by all and that is distinctly PNW. something very traditionally geared much like nostalgia drags but for the dry lake. and to do it where its not been done.

29. Cool!

Be sure to keep all of us HAMBers informed as to the dates of your first event.

30. Just to keep things interesting, Here is a picture that didn't get posted yet. this is the east side and alkaline flat. Note the hard surface behind the NLV where water has been recently. the girl in the NLV is my wife.