Register now to get rid of these ads!

NORTH WEST!! whos up for some speed trials on a real dry lake?!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 29hotrod55kustom, Sep 20, 2007.

1. 29hotrod55kustom

29hotrod55kustom

ok guys, planning is back on. i had to take a break cause it was driving me nuts and we got caught up in organizing a local car show (the rose city round up). BUT.. i have all the paperwork from the BLM to gain the permits to use the dry lake for speed trials. I am now looking to assemble a board of officials for the NCTA to help take some of the planning load off of my self.

at this point these are the things that need to be researched and planned out before i can submit my letter of intent to the BLM permit committee.

1) Haz-mat clean up plan
    2) Sanitation plan
    3) Saftey/Emergency plan
    4) Course route/Spectator area plotted via GPS mapping
    5) Tech/Saftey spec on vehicles racing
    6) Insurance plan

so, i got a strenuous road ahead of me but i have a few people in mind for a few plans but may have others apply for candidacy. The NCTA board will also be in charge of helping with forming the rules for competition.

in other news, the rod-benders car club officially has 2 cars in the process of being built to campaign as well as 2 more in planning. one car being built by slamcouver (a 30 A-bone roadster) and the other by vncduke (a 27 T roadster). the other two cars will be simple modifieds. all being built with the purpose to race at alvord.

2. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Good to hear, but probably gunna need a cage to run, right??

So are we gunna have an official HAMB lakes weekend, kinda like the HAMB drags??

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

According to Yahoo maps that is about 570 miles from me.

I have a friend who has a gemstone mine in that same general area and he says that the roads are tire killers. And that is with 6-8 and ten ply truck tires.

I'd be interested though.

4. 29hotrod55kustom

29hotrod55kustom

to the first question, yea a cage will be necessary on roadsters at least, we're not sure if we're gunna do coupes yet. and so far we are thinking that we want this to be fun for every one and maybe keep it lower speeds (140-160 tops) and have the stipulation be a roll bar that locks into the frame and clears the drivers head, still debating shit like that but thats where the advisory board will come in and help. as for the HAMB, that all depends if the HAMB wants to hop on board and support it. and to the second i've heard the same but i've also heard and google mapped access roads and found at least one that seems to be pretty easy going. but if anyone thats bringing a car down is like us, we're using a few relatively stock late 40's early 50's trucks to haul our racers down. in any event, i've invested quite a bit of time into this and the next steps are organizing a board and making the trip down to scope out the lake bed, GPS map out the course location, and find the best access routes.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2008
  5. A Chopped Coupe

A Chopped Coupe

So I assume you are talking about 2009, if that is the case the Coupe will be finished and ready for some serious speed....................

Talking about safety equipment, I still think anything faster than 130mph needs a cage, even if is a bolt in type..............roadster/sedan/coupe.
    As mentioned earlier, I am a regional tech person for the SCCA and would lend any help I could with car safety...........and equipment.

IMHO

6. 29hotrod55kustom

29hotrod55kustom

that would be fantastic, if you could maybe we can get the ball rolling in that area, maybe off the top of your head rattle off some requirements that would be mininalistic and feasible. right now thats what im looking for is just a base to start on and then build from there. im still relatively alone on this with the exception of one or two areas.

thanks A_Chopped_Coupe!

7. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Hmmm, I guess we do need some safety, Why i was asking is the ol' hemi coupe is a few years off but my 64 301 powered camino should be ready in a few months and i'm figuring it should be 140 mph car, am i gunna need to punch holes in my cab for a cage or is there anyway i can weld it in the bed??

8. 29hotrod55kustom

29hotrod55kustom

Well unfortunately for the camino, we will be diverging from typical SCTA events by having a year cut off. right now were thinking of 1934 being the cut off but that will more than likely be bumped up to say 48 or so. after doing a few hours of research i compiled a list of preliminary class requirements and respective engine requirements (basically used the SCTA rules as a guide and tweaked them ever so slightly). so feel free to check it out and let me know what you think.

www.myspace.com/nctaspeed

9. GARY?

GARY?

I was wondering where this project had gone. Maybe thinking about B'ville sparked it. I'm still up for helping out where possible. I'll look at the list again you posted of stuff that needs done.
    thanks for sticking with it, Gary

10. 29hotrod55kustom

29hotrod55kustom

well thank you for the interest! right now we have Myself taking care of paper work, the GPS stuff, and promo. Duke (vncduke) is taking care of the sanitary facilities plan, and my homeboy ren from the chec's is now on haz-mat plan detail. so everything else is still open.

11. N312RB

N312RB
    from Burlington

HELL YA!!!! I'm a million miles away... but I can do the logo, advertising, marketing whatever... give me a holler!

12. gahi

gahi
    from Moab, UT

I'll give ya a deal on signage. Banners, directional signs, stuff like that.

13. You are screwing up if you stop at 34! Think about all the Stude coupes, Cars like the Chilipepper Nash etc..............you NEED to be in Line with the SCTA,Maxton etc due to the small amount of racers out there.

14. A Chopped Coupe

A Chopped Coupe

29HotRod55Kustom,

Give me an email (I know we corresponded before, but I can't find your email address or pnone number) and I'll try and put some preliminary stuff together. It will take a couple of days.
    I will write a rough car safety spec, and the same with safety equipment and personel for this event.
    Do you have any idea of how many would attend.

15. 29hotrod55kustom

29hotrod55kustom

well thats why im sayin the year will more than likely get bumped up, but there is method to my madness, you'll see.

i will shoot you an email real quick with my contact info, and thanks a million for the help in that area, i was going to rely on my buddy chip who crew's for the Doss, Clayton, King AA fuel rail but the more the merrier.

16. cheap-n-dirty

cheap-n-dirty

Sound like you are getting everthing in order.
    Count me in to run the roadster next year.
    Using the SCTA rule book will help you a lot and it looks like you have a handle on any changes you will have.

17. caseyajones

caseyajones

Man this sounds awesome! I'll try to get a group to make the trip down from Spokane WA area. Looks like this could really turn into something VERY cool that could be enjoyed for many years to come. Keep us posted on the developments!

18. flatford39

flatford39

A little off topic but I just got back from my first trip to Oregon a couple days ago. There is some pretty impressive tin sitting out there still and not junk either.

I will certainly be going back.

19. 29hotrod55kustom

29hotrod55kustom

due to popular demand i added a second division to the Competition Coupe/Sedan class which will encompass the later production cars like the studes. Due to the larger sizes of the cars i kept the BGCC class on this one, may drop it yet, we'll see. still hesitant to whether or not we will allow blown vehicles. i do know at this point we have no fuel classes and everything is strictly gas. if this doesnt jive with everyone, keep in mind that most or some of these restrictions are to keep things safe and minimize problems in the first trials.

20. 29hotrod55kustom

29hotrod55kustom

well, the weekend is over and stress levels are rising! i've been trying to study for my anatomy & physiology mid-term but i keep thinking about this dry lake stuff. so, who has anything they would add or subtract from what is listed as far as classifications go?

so far this is what we have by way of officers in the organization:

Haz-mat planning - Ren from the Chec's
    Sanitation/Facilities planning - Duke (VNCDuke)
    Course Mapping/Securing Permits/Creating Letter of intent - me

so we still have a few open spots, i might have a couple other positions created soon too to cover some other aspects.

21. VNCduke

VNCduke
    from Washougal

Im going to hopefully call around different places in the town outside of the lake and see about lining up some portopotty stuff, pick up and drop off. I imagine it might cost us which brings me to the next order of buisiness..funding..

22. 29hotrod55kustom

29hotrod55kustom

for those who are still on the fence... just look at this for inspiration.. thread got silent real fast over the weekend.. so here.. this oughta livin' yall up!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

now, lets discuss this more eh?

23. Hey. Fellow Oregander (WFT is that word?) here. I own an ad/design agency out here and would be more than happy to help with "marketing" design, fundraising or whatever. Shoot me a PM and I'll give you more info.

Tim

24. 29hotrod55kustom

29hotrod55kustom

sweet, that sounds good.

now if i could just get a rise out of other oregonians and north westerners...

25. 29hotrod55kustom

29hotrod55kustom

well for those interested still, im planning on possibly trying to have a meeting this week at somepoint.

26. 29hotrod55kustom

29hotrod55kustom

well looks like interest in this has died :(. no new news. just hoping this thread sparks back to life...

27. 29hotrod55kustom

29hotrod55kustom

started writing the letter of intent.. still looking to complete a board..

28. The Swindlers would be interested in running out there for sure if it really is gonna happen.

29. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

I'll atleast spectate and mabey lend a wrench where needed on raceday, sounds fun, even if i dont have anything old enough yet

30. StaggerLee

StaggerLee
    from Tacoma,WA

I'm in.
    -Jeff

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.